Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Titan Doomsday Devices were originally massive, field clearing nukes instead of doomsday rays?

Author Topic: A thought about minor Amarr nobles  (Read 1028 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
A thought about minor Amarr nobles
« on: 31 Oct 2012, 13:34 »

I had a thought today, relating to minor Amarr nobles.

In some missions, like the epic arc, it is mentioned that very minor Holders do not have any land, and may only have a space installation.

Which means that a feudal superior, such as one of the Heir Family members, would be able to create several subservient minor holders, granting them the right to put up a space installation in a system.

Which then is a means of control, as those space installations would tend to sprout radio telescopes and other spying type equipment, as the minor Holders would then inevitably start spying on each other and any Planetary holders in the system.

So, when a planetary holder starts rocking the boat, they might soon find themselves being spied on by several dozen minor Holders eager to replace them.

Spies, spies everywhere. I think this would have quite an effect on anything going on in Amarrian space. Someone, somewhere would have Seen Things.
\o/

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
Re: A thought about minor Amarr nobles
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2012, 14:24 »

I see where you are going but is it perhaps a lot to do just to get some spying done? Maybe easier to use an optical satellite or probes rather than a space station with a telescope attached?

I think the value of the stations lie in being the gateways to the planets below, with docking facilities, orbital skyhooks, etc.  The holders that control the gateways on and off world are the ones getting the transaction taxes. 

I'd posit the Tash Murkons probably fueled their holdings in just this way, leasing up what was probably at the time 'worthless' space station holdings and then taxing transit on and off world until they were silly wealthy ;)

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
Re: A thought about minor Amarr nobles
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2012, 03:38 »

I've used "minor nobility" in my character's storyline as a means by which the Amarr Empire can control a wayward capsuleer.

Capsuleers, even Amarrian ones, have incredible freedom of movement and association. So in order to bring my character "back into the fold" I had another amarrian player engineer a situation where my character's family found their way into a 'noble' position. Now my character has to 'behave' out of fear of scrutiny.  Things are a lot more complicated for my character, and it's been a lot of fun. Huzzah for minor noble intrigue!