Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nostalgic old things, Memories are  (Read 2629 times)

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Nostalgic old things, Memories are
« on: 09 Jun 2011, 20:50 »

So, ever since this tread I've been tempted to make a tread dedicated to the old memorable things hiding in the back of each of our aging gray-matter containers.

There are thousands of players and several dozen of us frequent this forum, so this combined may well be hundred of thousands of memorable things. I'd like to hear about these as much as I am tempted to share some of mine.

So here it is; Post here and tell us a bit about those great moments/battles in your EVE-life, from the humblest noob-experience that makes you wonder these days, WTF you were thinking back then, to the more recent but not any less interesting exploits.

In an effort to not swamp the others with walls detailing your glorious deeds from 03 to 11, kindly stick to one event/memory per post and try to wait 4-5 posts until you share another, this way we might get varied events by various people and who knows, the tread might get popular. Also, if you have several events that transpired after one-another you could share these in cronlogical order to tell a story  ;)

I'd love to begin but I'm rather tired right now and I don't want to forget any important parts of anything. Also, perhaps waiting to see if this get's any notable interest first is wise.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
Re: Nostalgic old things, Memories are
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2011, 21:18 »

I still remember my first fleet battle in 0.0. Or rather, the travel to the fleet battle. Flying my rifter in formation with so many battleships - I think there were over a hundred in the fleet.

I even took screen shots!

Getting tackle on enemy battleships while defending the gate was awesome. Warping to the carrier fight to try to shoot tacklers was a bit less wonderful as my grid didn't load before I exploded.

But still, that sense of awe at being part of something like that still warms me, years later.
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2011, 00:24 »

Locking down Kale Ryoko during the Strix-Phoenix Wing-APEX-Stimulus-Omerta-Kitchen Sink war.  If memory serves (it's late for me for a change, instead of early), he was solo in a Vaga, and I was in a Celestis, parked outside a station in Tourier with a fleet whose co-FCs (Gerrard DuNord being one, and I think Brother Simple was the other) were debating whether or not anyone could lock him.

I volunteered to try.  In those days, I was young, stupid and my ships were really cheap.  I've gotten better, or more likely worse.   I thought Gerrard heard me, because he said "yeah yeah". 

I very soon realized that my microphone was unplugged, because I'd gotten Kale locked down and my fleet members were still sitting there listening to the debate even though I was yelling "Guys, I HAVE HIM LOCKED DOWN!" ... though unfortunately, my first clue that it was unplugged was Gerrard's asking "What the hell are you doing?  Say something!"

And then I no longer had Kale locked, and very soon after that I went boom.

Then years later, I found myself in Omerta, after leaving Stimulus, which was all sorts of odd on some levels.  I should have Vieve join APEX at some point to get a full circle thing going (though these days I think she'd have to join Veto in order to join Phoenix Wing).

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2011, 00:35 »

My first experience with large fleets and Capitals.

I was in a Wolf while all of SF and the rest were mostly flying around in cheap T1 Cruisers. Was a great moment, and the warpin of the hostile caps was just as awesome as the video makes it. I loved it. Getting to get in some kills on Amarrians were great.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2011, 05:10 »

I'm always happy to see that one kill on an Amarrian is still worth about 20 of anyone else.  8)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:05 »

Well, you make it so easy to love hating you.
* Mizhara grins.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2011, 08:26 »

Let's see... my first big 0.0 fight. Flying with Morsus Mihi during the first MAX invasion by BoB, right when BoB had first started hitting M-O (the gateway system from empire) in Tribute. We titan bridged in (first time I'd seen a titan, incidentally) on top of a BoB capital fleet and killed a few, then ran around the system skirmishing with subcap fleets and trying to flip POSes. After one such skirmish, we were getting repped up while standing by for the next skirmish in a POS when I, low on ammo, decided to venture outside the bubble to loot some hostile wrecks for more rounds.

So, after propelling myself the huge distance out to the wreck field (it was maybe 170-200km off the POS) I started looting. A few minutes into this, BAM! My overview fills with the entire BoB fleet, landing right on top of me. Screaming, I start warping back to the POS even as they evaporated my shields, quickly ate through my armor, and knocked me into half-hull before I warped... because in a 150+ BoB fleet, they'd all shot me but never bothered to tackle, apparently. I was on such an adrenaline high right then...
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2011, 11:22 »

Most awesome time for me was the first time I was titan bridged in my heavy plated phat abaddon.

First when we were gathering around the avatar titan in a CVA POS, with the FC restlessly yelling like a madman "DON'T FUCKING BUMP THE FUCKING TITAN YOU FUCKERS !"

Then we were bridged, and all went suddenly wrong when I loaded the grid right in the center of the system (meaning : in the core of the local Star, apparently a bug happening in the past). This was the biggest and most awesome bump I had of my life. With the abaddon inertia my velocity went up to something like 2398349398 m/s, and the bump lasted easily more than 5 or 6 minutes. I was still laughing in front of my screen when it finally stopped, not sure after how many AUs...

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2011, 11:01 »

Day One in Eve: "Who are these Angel fuckers and why are they shooting at me?" :)

I think that one of my favourite periods of Eve, even though I wasn't playing as much as I used by that point, was when Ushra'Khan placed a bounty of 1 ISK on Karin Midular. In RP terms, it was a really interesting time to be a Minnie, with the differences between the various Minmatar factions really coming to the fore.

Maggot's announcement: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=469598&page=1#1
News: http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=1390&tid=4

Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:15 »

Nostalgia?

Anyone played this game?

If you can prove it to me, I'll give you a million ISK :P

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:17 »

Descent!

Edit: No, wait!  Terminal Velocity.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:22 »

Nope. Hellbender :P

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2011, 12:27 »

TIE Fighter.

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2011, 21:24 »

Hellbender is what got me interested in space games in the first place.

Now EVE nostalgia. Flying 15km for every gate. I remember when I had to make a move from Cistuvaert, Verge Vendor to Earwik, Metropolis. That was a long-ass haul back in those days. I don't think I've even seen the Earwik system since Trinity.

But the names of the systems around that area - Iluin, Moselgi, Ofage, Fuskunen, and Uemon - very, very old, we're talking 2006 old - stomping grounds of mine.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2011, 21:44 »

Edit: No, wait!  Terminal Velocity.

YEEEEEEEEEEES. And Fury3, which had epic, epic intro music.

Those came before Hellbender, same engine. Didn't play Hellbender.
Pages: [1] 2