Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That  following several months of dedicated research, the Synenose Accord held a public and widely attended conference in the shattered Seyllin system, site of the tragic Seyllin Main-Sequence event? See more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Sending a message about Incarna and the future of EVE  (Read 12193 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Sending a message about Incarna and the future of EVE
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:51 »

I have seen the comments. He said that certain specific employees need to "die in a fire", something that CCP did not interpret figuratively.

Well, then, I'm glad my wife isn't part of this protest. "Die in a fire" is one of her favorite angry phrases.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #61 on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:56 »

I have seen the comments. He said that certain specific employees need to "die in a fire", something that CCP did not interpret figuratively.

Threating people is never a good idea. But then, some people are going to interpret this as an attempt by CCP to silence a critic.

Oh well.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #62 on: 24 Jun 2011, 11:59 »

This strikes me as a case where nobody did the right thing. Depending on what happens with the dev blog, it could be moot anyway.

Thansoli

• Republic Loyalist
  • Clonejack
  • [LUTI]<-EM->
« Reply #63 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:01 »

Ah, but unsubscribing and awaiting a response from CCP are not mutually exclusive. Unsubbing just means that our accounts won't automatically renew when time runs out. In the meantime, we can see whether CCP, undoubtedly aware of the volley of non-revenue missiles heading its way, gets enough of a clue for us to collectively abort (most of) the salvo.

I realize I'm just getting involved with your little community here, but this is why I unsubbed both of my accounts this morning. If CCP is able to get their brains all straightened out, I will happily resub in September when my accounts expire. Until then, I will keep playing and keep watching.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #64 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:03 »

(You're part of our little community here, too. :) )

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jun 2011, 12:59 »

DIAF is so internet-commonplace that it's about as threatening as a sloth on mogadon after a tiring day. To interpret stuff like that as a real threat is to be disingenuous at best.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #66 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:10 »

http://pastebin.com/NtRB9bin

provides more context.

looks like not just "die in a fire", which is  :roll: anyway.

This strikes me as a case where nobody did the right thing.

maybe. it's all /o\
\o/

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:13 »

I just hope the momentum is sufficient for CCP to do some real soul-searching.

I do feel sad for many CCP employees who probably worked hard and late to get Incarna out-of-the-door, employees who put many volunteer hours into the game, both playing or helping out.

CCP still does a lot of things right, but from my perspective it is getting more and more things wrong. I simply can't imagine how an expansion like PI got shipped out. Everyone with some sense of what their customers and of what is fun gameplay would realize it is not very good (and that is putting it midly).

I applaud CCP's original attitude of ignoring conventional business wisdom and forging their own path with their own vision for the game. A vision they shared and worked upon together with their customers. That stubborn attitude is still there, but sadly I think they are now ignoring their customers and emulating their competitors rather than the other way around like they used to do. Farmville in Space, Spacebook, Play-for-free models with buying in-game advantages, it is all yesterday's news, its all CCP running headless after the competition. Dust 514 is fortunally still original in concept at least.

An important factor of the attraction of the CCP model for EVE was the great promise it holds. The promise of great depth of game-play. If CCP continually stops short on delivering on promises or appears to break previously made promises, than the great promise of the EVE game fades away. With EVE I always though things were good and could only get better. Now I'm slowly starting to feel things are ok and will only continue to get worse.

I'm not terribly shocked at any one incident, I'm sad by a lot of small incidents and the general picture it paints. However, a larger number of bad PR things are (fortunately) now all happening close together, which has created a critical mass for a modern-age pitchfork lynch mob. And sometimes you need to see pitchforks waving about to see your customers are really serious about something and not just the regular old club of whiners and bitter vets. When I saw the post of the PR employee I could only shake my head. How can they be this detached? How can they have such a low opinion of their customer base?

I'd rather see a mass unsubscription over a short period of time than players leaving disillusioned piecemeal over a longer period. Rather one strong wake up call than a slow shift into mediocrity.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #68 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:14 »

DIAF is so internet-commonplace that it's about as threatening as a sloth on mogadon after a tiring day. To interpret stuff like that as a real threat is to be disingenuous at best.

Depends on context I guess. I have rarely encountered it, and I would certainly be offended by it.

Kala

• Egger
« Reply #69 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:36 »

Depends on context I guess. I have rarely encountered it, and I would certainly be offended by it.

Yeah, depends on what/who you're exposed to... But I've come across it almost as often as GTFO and STFU - it's commonplace enough that I'm completely desensitized to it (and would be surprised if most of the internet wasn't similarly inured)

If it was simply saying DIAF then (as has been pointed out a few times when reading around this) a large chunk of Eve's player base would have to be banned as well.

But from Louella's link, it seems like that wasn't exactly what was said and it was something considerably more lengthy and personal afterall...(perhaps not a real-life threat, but certainly unpleasent)

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #70 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:43 »

"DIAF" isn't the only thing he said, and regardless, because it was a petition, it's directly aimed at the person handling it and isn't your typical "forum rage."

Permaban I'm unsure of, but tempban at least, yes. That's pretty unacceptable behavior.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #71 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:44 »

Yeah, with context...it seems like a pretty bizarre overreaction to events from Helicity Boson - especially in a petition. Still, when you know that there are a fuckton of people currently angry about shit, picking out someone with a fairly high public profile and banning them for expressing anger at you in private is not going to go well. I had rather thought that CCP had learnt from similar debacles in the past ("Free Jade!" anyone?) Clearly not.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Sakaane Eionell

• Wetgraver
    • Solitary Pilot
« Reply #72 on: 24 Jun 2011, 13:44 »

I do not plan to unsub any time soon. I can understand why other people have, but to me, the things which have caused the drama really do not immediately affect me. I love the CQ even if I find the Minmatar design unsatisfying to start with; I agree there should be a "disembark" button; the NeX store prices are laughable and the idea of game progression items potentially ending up there is a concern. But...I don't feel the rage others do.

What I would like to know is what date CCP said that MT would be restricted to vanity items only. The leaked newsletter is dated May 2011 on the first page, and likely took at least a month or two (so March/April) to be drafted up and put together in the first place.

If the newsletter predates the promise, then the rage is simply unfounded. It can be inferred that CCP originally considered all potential directions they could go, then later abandoned some ideas, and publicly announced what they were going to do.

In which case...the person who leaked the newsletter is nothing more than a shit disturber.

If not, well... I'll cross that bridge when it actually comes up. In the meantime, I plan to have fun in space. :)
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2011, 13:47 by Sakaane Eionell »

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #73 on: 24 Jun 2011, 14:04 »

What I would like to know is what date CCP said that MT would be restricted to vanity items only.

2010. maybe November. A CSM summit or something, I believe.
\o/

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #74 on: 24 Jun 2011, 14:05 »

Apparently Liang Nuren got a ban for 'Discussion of Moderation' as well.

Anyone got any more information on this? Smells of censorship on CCP's part to me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7