Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Galaxies  (Read 1403 times)

Lyn Farel

Galaxies
« on: 27 Jul 2012, 09:43 »

Well, we know New Eden cluster, K-space with their (supposed) binary stars for stargate anchoring, and uncharted space that has never been explored but that I assume is still in the same stellar entity, the New Eden galaxy, which seems to be a small one.

But what of other galaxies ? Do we know if PF or if there are other galaxies to be seen around ? Or are we in some sort of small singularity in the middle of nothing ?

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
Re: Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2012, 11:27 »

There's almost surely other galaxies in the background stars. I don't think any are specifically named.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2012, 12:04 »

New Eden is a cluster of stars, but afaik currently available k-space does not cover the entire galaxy to which it belongs.  Could be a globular cluster or something but iirc its just the portion of a larger galactic system that is connected by the stargate network.

Kybernetes Moros

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2012, 13:12 »

Yeah, my understanding is that New Eden is just a star cluster -- a tiny portion of its own galaxy. If we look at things like the Hubble Ultra Deep Field, there's no reason why there wouldn't be plenty of other galaxies visible from wherever New Eden actually is, though.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2012, 14:02 »

Yeah, it has always been my take that K-space is a very tiny portion of the New Eden galaxy/cluster of stars, since old PF says stargates = binary stars only (even if we do not see them ingame). Binary stars are rare. And I think that W-space may be other stars of that cluster (or not). My question was more about external other galaxies. I was not sure if I could use that argument on the IGS or not.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2012, 15:43 »

It's highly unlikely bordering on impossible that none of the various dots in the background represent other galaxies, or that other galaxies could be seen using sufficient viewing equipment (i.e., far more powerful than the relatively low-magnification, low-resolution camera drones we use ingame.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2012, 16:08 »

Binary stars are rare.

Actually, this isnt technically true.  Nearly half of the charted stars within the local area of Sol have been determined to be binary stars.  As far as I understand it, its uncertain how representative they are of the galaxy's stellar population as a whole, but binary stars appear to be quite frequent, perhaps even something close to the norm.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2012, 13:58 »

Indeed - and Alpha Centauri, nearest star system to us, is trinary.