Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That capsuleers' implants translate languages for them? Read more here: Translators

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building a Friendly Community, A Reminder  (Read 2583 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Building a Friendly Community, A Reminder
« on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:46 »

Okay, so, you're all gagging at the title. Geez Kat, can't you pick something with less ponies and hugging?

Nope! See, I've noticed a trend that likely has been here since EVE RolePlay first started, will be here long after this thread, and isn't even unique to EVE RP. Well, here's the thing that I have noticed:

EVE is a terrible dystopian place.

Oh my gosh! Kat discovered something amazing! We should all give her katnip. No, see... what I'm getting at is that a lot of us roleplay our characters with a mild form of method acting. When our characters feel sadness, or rage, or malice, or joy... many of us tend to feel the same. For myself, some of the most believable moments in roleplay are when I'm experiencing and fabricating the same emotions as Katrina.

Just last night, I held two very powerful RP sessions, where Katrina was expressing her grief at the loss of Simca. I was actually moved to tears, sniffling and wiping my eyes in both of them. I actually almost broke out in sobbing during one of them until I realized how powerfully the emotions were hitting and laughed it off.

In other interactions, Katrina will get so angry about something that really doesn't bother me, that even I will need to walk away from the computer. Joyful moments with her are shared by myself, where I'm moved to butterflies in my stomach and bouncing in my seat.

Okay Kat, so you're a big softie. What's your point?

My point is that deep down, I think a lot of us forget and lose track of the unique power we have. Unlike in reality, where we often lack the self control to just put the brakes on our emotions. We lack the ability to simply pause real life and say, "I'm not going to get mad at this." Kudos to you if you have mastered this ability, but many of us have not.

In roleplaying, we have this ability, and we all need to remember to use it more often when bleedover starts. I see a lot of people getting up in arms just from roleplay. Even myself. So, to the point of this post, I'm begging and reminding my fellow roleplayers to try and keep an eye on what they say to others OOC due to roleplay. Remember that what happens to our characters is not happening to us.

This is, in the end, just a game. We're all just trying to write a big fat book together, and while we may come to blows about OOC issues... we should at least try not to get upset and be mean to each other about things that happen to our characters.

Let's all try to get along out of game, and save the bile for our characters' IC moments.

:cube:
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 12:06 by Katrina Oniseki »

Jev North

Re: Building a Friendly Community, A Reminder
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:52 »

+1.

Arguments and strife aren't without merit, but can be had on every corner. Genuine interest and validation are rare as diamonds and addictive as crack. Just a thought.

Tiberious Thessalonia

• Everyone's favorite philositoaster
  • Pod Captain
  • Panini Press
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:54 »

:cube: Back, and +1'd.
Do you see it now?  Something is different.  Something is never was in the first part!

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2013, 11:58 »

-1 Grimdark for OP   

8)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:02 »

:cube:

♥ Kat
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:04 »

-1 Grimdark for OP   

8)

"Let the hate flow through you, Oniseki. Like your blood, come to think of it." - S.V.

JinOtsi

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:06 »

Hate leads to the dark side. The dark side has all the cool powers.

+1

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2013, 12:49 »

Tricky thing to do, but damned essential.

Back in my halcyon days as a college LARPer, most of the troupe used to go out for coffee after game, en mass, at Sherry's or something and kind of wind down. Hanging out OOC and being social helps keep IC hatreds and rivalries from sinking their teeth in OOC.

... And even there, it still happened. When I first started dating the girl would I later marry, one of the other LARPers phoned up my beloved's ex-boyfriend, knowing full well that he was on deployment in Japan, to tell him that he had to come back right away to rescue her from this terrible, wicked person who had seduced her.

I was playing a corruption-worshipping Follower of Set at the time, which may have had something to do with it. Also, the fellow player who did the calling was crazier than average.

The reason I mention this is because we have no way of going out for coffee, or even, usually, of seeing one another's faces, so it's pretty easy to start to conflate the person at the keyboard with the character on the screen. The closest we have is Backstage, here, with its rules on courtesy..

Which is a pretty damn nifty and important thing, now I think about it.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2013, 13:45 by Aria Jenneth »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2013, 13:20 »

But, but, but, Im afraid that if im not a petty, ego-driven, passive-aggressive griefer at heart, then I will lose all interest in EVE and be unable to relate to its population!  :cry:

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Desiderya

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2013, 15:26 »

+1
Experienced the same things. :)
When in doubt, ask oocly before getting up in arms.

Streya

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2013, 22:44 »

There are times where I truly wish to engage a fellow roleplay corp ICly in a grueling conflict that would threaten one of the two corps with capitulation and disband. But then I remind myself "Wait, the roleplay community is already small enough. We don't need less RPers around". Thus, I agree with the OP and think it would be beneficial if we all thought, every day after an IC conflict that may bleedover into OOC, "How boring would my space-life be without this person to clash against IC?". So let's all be friends and have space-coffee OOC while violencing each other's boats and (perhaps even more importantly) egos. No matter how much we may want to chop each other's heads off IC, it's quite important to keep things civil OOC so that we may have more pixelated heads to cheap off and have fun with in the future. Because who wants to even interact with someone who hates them OOC? No one.

Eternal cheesy anime-style frenemies and rivalries! Gogo!

Sepherim

• Omelette
  • Too fucking serious for himself... or not
    • The Chronicles of Sepherim Catillah
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2013, 23:30 »

Agreed with more or less everything said so far. So +10000!

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2013, 23:44 »

Confirming Aria is evil.

Also hi, bye, and +1. :3

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jan 2013, 23:45 »

Eternal cheesy anime-style frenemies and rivalries! Gogo!

Thought about posting some really terrible, seizure-inducing anime GIF, but don't want to be sued at this stage in my life. :D

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jan 2013, 23:47 »

One of the reasons why we step on vendettas that are dragged onto backstage pretty hard where we detect them.

Also, very much true.
Pages: [1] 2