Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter founded Synenose Accord, a capsuleer corporation dedicated to unraveling the mysteries of w-space and the Sleeper AI?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Current events c Star Fraction, Moira., Veto. and Rote Kapelle  (Read 13367 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain

Purpose of thread:

More of an information thread rather than 'hey you this'-'hey you that' thread.  More like one of the more civil scrapheap challenge conflict monitoring threads.  It's more for updating on fact rather than doing root-cause analysis of the possible purpose/objectives/bullshittery that different sides / non-aligned may perceive.

So, I've been reading this here thread here:
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380

As with many of my attention span it can, at times, be a bit of an exercise to accurately ascertain the on-goings of this conflict of interest.  Redundancy in speech and all.

Whilst Jade is posting the odd summary post and trying to put out a timeline, I would appreciate it if the relevant parties would give concise OOC multi-source feedback as practicable here. 

My current understanding is that:
1- Star Fraction have wardec'd Moira, who are operating in overlapping area and treading on each other's toes
2- Moira is receiving tacit assistance from Veto & Rote Kapelle
3- Combat is mainly station/trap based, but there is a Moira. pos that has been on the receiving end of a couple of early assaults by the Star Fraction.  At this stage the weaponry is mostly out of operation but skirmishes continue.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 19:23 by scagga »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

*grabs popcorn*

been enjoying the hell out of this so far :)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

I'm amused that I'm hearing more about this them I am about nullsec.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

* Ember Vykos reaches over Silas' shoulder and steals some popcorn.

Been semi following this and it has been interesting so far.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Hamish Grayson

There aren't a lot of RP groups to shoot at these days and the viable ones are already shooting at each other  :eek:

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

There aren't a lot of RP groups to shoot at these days and the viable ones are already shooting at each other  :eek:

There aren't? I thought there are lots of groups, but they just don't shoot at each other for whatever reason.

Graanvlokkie

There aren't? I thought there are lots of groups, but they just don't shoot at each other for whatever reason.

Perhaps its closer to the truth to say that there are not a lot of large RP groups that like being shot at.

So, when something like this happens it is always nice to get some updates.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

I sort of had Seri point out about RK assisting the Sansha during the live events, and now working alongside Moira. Heh.  :yar:

I think it's less of a RP war and just a standard EVE war?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal

Its definitely an RP war.

Our reasons for declaring on Moira were firmly rooted in the in character perspective and idealism of the Star Fraction. Basically Moira had already aggressed one of our vessels in nullsec (earning the -10) and a few weeks later took to messing with out engagements against the local pirates with bumping, prank locking and general local goading to gcc etc. This was fine to a degree and expected and we chased them about a bit but then...

Moira declared that Pelille space was theirs and closed to us and Free Captains "were not welcome there".

It was a red rag to the bull of our institutional RP and we had a snap vote of the directorate (which was confirmed a week after by full open vote of the membership in council) and immediately declared war to allow us to freely engage Moira vessels in nullsec and began steps to move our operations over to Pelille to show that our transit, commerce and general operations could not be dictated by any Federal bullyboy in lowsec.

Tactically, the war was about ensuring we'd not be losing sec level to shoot at Moira and to dissuade them from messing with our ships while we were fighting the main pirates in the area.

Strategically, sure we knew that by moving into their HQ system and putting up a Drug-manufacturing industry a few hundred thousand klicks from their base would be a provocation in turn and draw them out perhaps.

Ideologically, well, we're demonstrating that Freespacers cannot be denied access to systems without consequences on the attempted road-blockers.

For what its worth we've enjoyed the Moira blogs, tweets, rp spin and such immensely and it got loads of our players logging in for the summer eager to teach the "federal fascists" a lesson in real politic.

Current status is interesting. We had begun to win the war in earnest last week and felt it was moving towards a conclusion with the likely destruction of the Moira HQ tower in Pelille. But then Moira received surprise reinforcement from Rote Kapelle and Veto corp (and accidently from Rooks and Kings but we think thats purely coincidental) and SF took some major isk losses from hotdrops/surprise ganks whatever you want to call them and we've taken a step back for a couple of days assessing options while leaving the war and blockade in place.

Last I saw last night (had an early night) was that the Moira tower still hadn't been completely repaired but Moira were tooling around with a few guardians trying to complete the job.

Thing is though please don't try to reach the conclusion this is not an RP war because non-rp'ers have muscled into it. The reality is that it IS very much an RP war declared for purely RP reasons to support the RP of the entities involves acting according to their indentity and belief-systems in-game.

Its the nature of eve that people call friends when things are going wrong and escalation is inevitable, but that does not discredit or ruin the essential seed of creative roleplay at the heart of such conflicts.

SF vs Moira will end in one of two ways. Either we'll have proved the endurance of freespace ethics and radical commercial interest in Placid and outlast Moira + allies ... or Moira will gain dominance over the Fraction and keep Soter's pledge of forcing us out of the region as a "unwelcome destabalizing factor".

Where I think its particularly interesting is it has already highlighted some fascinating comparisons and contrasts between Federal RP and Anarchist RP. The public demonstration and recognition of the Fractions democratic decision-making and voices of the Free Captains make us look like paragons of egalitarian democracy compared to some of the rigid militarist hierarchies of our foes ... which I think asks some interesting questions of Gallente Federation roleplay corporations and those that play characters relishing and celebrating the ideals of the federation political freedoms.

And also provides (nodding at Silas) great mileage for those from non Gallente backgrounds looking for proof of hypocrisy in the vaunted ideals of the Federation.

All in all its great stuff and I love it.

Important posts on the thread btw. I provide direct links past the noise. Like all exciting conflicts it does attract a fair bit of offtopic random trolling by uninvolved people but skip past that .. the meat and drink is good.

Soter's Opening post (sets the terms of the war etc)
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=1#1

Soter updates with some kills and Titan sighting
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=1#27

Our first public report (war so far)
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=2#58

Our second public report (post veto/kapelle intervention)
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=2#60
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=3#61
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=3#62

Timeline of the conflict
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=5#148
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=5#149
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1505380&page=5#150
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 06:37 by Jade Constantine »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

I sort of had Seri point out about RK assisting the Sansha during the live events, and now working alongside Moira. Heh.  :yar:

Thats probably worthy of another thread perhaps. I believe the standard RK line is "we did it for lols so it doesn't count as rp" ... but I guess that wouldn't really fly with any character who took actions in space AS rp? End of the day I've got no real problem seeing RK as Sansha loyalists and its actually an interesting development of the storyline that General Soter might be working with Sansha's agents to deny freespace in Gallente Lowsec.

Nobody can say its not a summer of strange bedfellows!

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

can I get the readers digest of that Jade?

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

can I get the readers digest of that Jade?

The short version.

Moira shoot SF get set red.
SF shoot Moira.
Moira bait SF and interfere with our fighting.
Moira say "you aren't allowed in our system."
SF say "wardec" we aren't gonna do what you tell us.
SF die in a fire for a week.
Moira die in a bigger fire for a week.
SF raise the stakes by assaulting the Moira HQ tower.
Moira propose ceasefire (refused) and offer their surrender terms (rejected) by the council of free captains.
Rote Kapelle and Veto deploy to protect the Moira tower (helping rep it a bit)
SF die in a fire to hotdrops.
Tower is currently undergoing repair (slowly)
Today we've seen the first transfer of actual combat pilots from Rote Kapelle to Moira so we imagine this will be a new theme.
As yet Moira/Rote/Veto have conducted zero offensive activities themselves against SF infrastructure.

So state of the war. There is a pause for reflection as Moira try to repair their tower and SF make plans for future operations against a far larger threat than initially assessed.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 06:41 by Jade Constantine »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

And there is some contention over VETO's actual involvement I take it? Since pretty much everyone in veto has been denying it being anything other then opportunity.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette

And there is some contention over VETO's actual involvement I take it? Since pretty much everyone in veto has been denying it being anything other then opportunity.

Not really any credible contention.

We witnessed their logistics ships active on the Moira tower.
They have been part of several direct interventions in support of Moira
Verone himself was deeply involved in trying to negotiate a ceasefire for Moira.

At this point the screen-shots, kill-mails, witness statement, chat logs etc etc all add up to pretty conclusive proof of full engagement and I think there is a little actual chance of anybody believing otherwise.

One potential motive for claiming "random opportunism" would probably be to remove Veto from the likely PR consequences of a formal Moira defeat ... ie if they were "not involved" they have nothing at stake etc.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 10:09 by Jade Constantine »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod

Ahh, well then, I stand corrected.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6