Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a very powerful painkiller?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HELLO THERE!  (Read 3918 times)

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
HELLO THERE!
« on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:24 »

Hey everyone. I joined just last night, yet I didn't get to make this post 'til morning. Anyways...

The first MMO I have ever played was Star Wars Galaxies. I was not into RP at first. From 2004 to 2005, I was just a normal player, then I happened upon some RPers, and I found that that was the reason I had wanted to play the game. The RP in that was beautiful and wonderful, though I played a crappy mary-sue (I was 14-16 at the time), the game eventually died off, my subscription along with it. I had also played some of WoW, which was full of ERP, at least the places I went to... It was a silly place, I don't remember any of this madness happening in any of the old WC RTS games! I demand good RP, I want a place to play a character and actually maybe hopefully one day influence something.

Then I had discovered EVE sometime in 2009. I downloaded the trial, and played it. The learning curve, oh my. The game was immense. I couldn't wrap my head around it all. I had not the funds to continue after the trial, and I didn't know how I could get deeper into the universe, since there were no novels at that moment in time. The Warhammer 40,000 universe, as nuts as it is, had always sucked me in with the novels I had been reading since 5th grade. These big space marines fighting crazy aliens and heretics. But then, last year, I sat with a few friends discussing some MMORPGs in the school auditorium, and EVE came up. I had learned that a bunch of players were not happy with an update, and attacked Developer-run stations and facilities and were called into the CCP HQ to discuss truce. I also learned about the few big Ocean's Eleven-ish stunts pulled, and I thought "Wow, this is huge and amazing. Why was I never into this?"

I became a writer after high school (really I became a lazy bum, but eventually got said bum into gear, got a job, started school, etc etc). Writing became a big hobby. I had managed to get several of my pieces into some literary fantasy and science fiction magazines, which I considered a huge deal at the time. Right now I'm writing a fantasy horror short for a Steamgoth anthology.

Back to the point. RP. I miss it. A month or two ago, I first learned about Dust 514. And later, that Dust was to become a PS3 exclusive, and that it would be free-to-play, luckily for me, I have a Playstation 3. After following Dust for some time, I went into Barnes and Noble to pick up a copy of Neuromancer, which they were out of at the moment, so I picked up a copy of Templar One instead. I am enjoying it greatly (and was even able to get Neuromancer the next week).

So yes, I look forward to RPing and writing fiction for my Immortal soldier, Luya Oknor, a Gallente (Or Caldari, haven't decided yet) ex-prisoner, as he runs across barren bloody landscapes fighting other corprations and evil drones. I may just be one of the first. It's a work in progress...

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. It's taken me at least half a month to find a place such as this one, and I'm glad that I have. I hope this wasn't too much of a read.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012, 07:42 by Luya Oknor »

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
Re: HELLO THERE!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:32 »

*Hands Luya a shield of crystalized sugar*

You'll want that to guard against all the bitter that might be coming your way. TonyG's writing is not exactly appreciated around these parts. He rather shat upon the story once or twice (think something along the lines of Midi-chlorians).

Other than that, Welcome!

Most of this site is dedicated to EVE RP, but there's been some mention of Dust as well.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:37 »

SWG was my first MMO too. Welcome o/

TonyG [...] rather shat upon the story once or twice (think something along the lines of Midi-chlorians).

Epic analogy is epic  :lol:

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:42 »

I'll keep it in mind. :P Is there anyplace I can read any official fiction on the site? I couldn't find any. Anything to do with creating Immortals would be a good start. And notable planets. And... weapons technology. I'm super-new.

Also lol midichlorians.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:49 »

Look for the "Chronicles" sections, both on EVE's site and Dust. I'd link them, but can't get to them from work to confirm the urls. Also, poke around the CCP Public Library section of this site for discussion of some of the chrons and other such stuff. Somewhere there's an RP primer with the basic info everyone needs in order to not sound like they're insane IC, maybe on the wiki?

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:53 »

Look for the "Chronicles" sections, both on EVE's site and Dust. I'd link them, but can't get to them from work to confirm the urls. Also, poke around the CCP Public Library section of this site for discussion of some of the chrons and other such stuff. Somewhere there's an RP primer with the basic info everyone needs in order to not sound like they're insane IC, maybe on the wiki?

RP primer? I'll try and look for it. And thanks for that info! I've also discovered the wiki. That may help.

Jev North

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:58 »

Something like <Argh garbloogh see Casi's post below.>

Also: welcome! Guns, drugs?
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2012, 09:11 by Jev North »

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2012, 07:59 »

JUST found it. Thank you!

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:00 »

ZOMG a dustie! Hi dustie!
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:01 »

The wiki is great and has a lot of background info, but there's one thing to keep in mind: It has a lot of information which isn't really knowable IC, and it doesn't bother to specify what is super secret stuff that no one should know and what is common knowledge. Sadly, most the events in TonyG's books are of the super-secret nature  :psyccp:

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2012, 08:09 »

Hello Z!

The wiki is great and has a lot of background info, but there's one thing to keep in mind: It has a lot of information which isn't really knowable IC, and it doesn't bother to specify what is super secret stuff that no one should know and what is common knowledge. Sadly, most the events in TonyG's books are of the super-secret nature  :psyccp:

I'd figure that creating an army of immortal clone soldiers would be kept secret haha. I am mostly talking about common weapons and planets. And people. My character grew up on a space station his entire life, so I am not sure if he'd know much of the outside universe.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:07 »

That's a ripoff copy of the original from Mark726 (@webspaceships). What you want is http://freebooted.blogspot.com/p/fiction.html as that contains the right updates and isn't shady.

Jev North

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:12 »

Erf. I thought that one smelled funny. Ripped out the link, hopefully before it even got spidered.

Luya Oknor

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:21 »

That's a ripoff copy of the original from Mark726 (@webspaceships). What you want is http://freebooted.blogspot.com/p/fiction.html as that contains the right updates and isn't shady.

Oh, I've actually been reading the Mark726 one for the past hour. I'm enjoying it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jun 2012, 09:51 »

Jev, it's cool, if you search for it sometimes the .it version comes up first (stinking SEO). Mark726 and Stan are personal friends of mine so I just sometimes get irrationally annoyed. Don't mind me, carry on!
Pages: [1] 2 3