Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Scagga once had a bodyguard by the name of 'cuddles'?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [RPCIN] Sleeper Symposium Live Event Input Needed (OOC)  (Read 4550 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: [RPCIN] Sleeper Symposium Live Event Input Needed (OOC)
« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:29 »

Have to agree with Repracor here. SeyCon may be established and all, but unless it's actually going to be on the near horizon people should not be demanded to hold off on their own events for it.

So. If SeyCon will happen within the next, say, two weeks, on a date that Jenn's event can orient to? Great, wonderful, put them together. If it won't? Then oh well, SeyCon can do without their symposium. So, SeyCon people: If you want other people to orient their events around your thing: Get on it. If you aren't, then you can't blame people for not waiting.

And frankly, considering the recent history of SeyCon (getting cancelled last year, and being heavily delayed this year), it doesn't exactly look like a very reliable or promising thing. The RP community needs more events, period, not some single "grand" event that gets canceled and delayed constantly.

The last dates we discussed internally were the exact same dates Jenn suggested and have had no negative responses to them. So, assuming Nemo responds to Saede's poke and the handful of outstanding mails/questions that are in the Seycon organization mailing list, uh, yeah, it would be around the same time.

That said, we're also about to get a lore dump via all of the Tiamat stuff next week. Which leaves like, a week and a half for people to incorporate the new content into whatever they want to present. That's not a lot of time (arguably not enough) regardless of which event it is, especially if people presenting don't want to look like underprepared idiots bumbling over their notes.

This also isn't about being elitist or toeing any lines. As far as I'm concerned, more people getting involved is better - and the more people involved with pushing an event along the less likely it is to get stalled by one or two people getting a razorblade shoved up their ass by RL.

If I wanted to shit on things, I would not have taken the "hey, there's another similar thing that's already being worked on and needs a bit of nudging over the top of the hill, maybe you could come help out with that one and kill two birds with one stone" route.

Yeah this, not trying to shit over anyone's parade. I want there to be one really excellent scientific conference type event. I don't care if its Seycon, or your thing, or something I pull out of my ass tomorrow, I just want there to be something and I want that something to be as big and wide in scope as possible. If the SeyCon people can't get things together, then I'm perfectly willing to toss it out and replace it with a new conference that serves the same purpose, run by people who can get on top of it.

That said, we should decide what we're doing here and now in that regard. I'd honestly not be opposed to seeing Repracor completely take the reigns from SeyCon and import all the old organisers to help out, give it a new name/location or whatever. I'd be willing to help it out. Under the rules of SeyCon I can't present and help organise, which is why I haven't been helping organise previously, but frankly, fuck that rule, if organisation needs to happen and no one else is doing it, I'll do it.

I'd also agree that +1 week from Tiamat is probably too soon to hold it, I think the weekend of the 27th through the 1st would probably be a good time to schedule. Its recent enough that all the shit currently going on will remain relevant, but far enough out to allow people to incorporate the new things coming with Tiamat.

So essentially, I think there should be one major SeyCon-esque event, I don't care what its called, where it is, or who runs it, I just want to see it happen, and I don't want to see it fragment into a bunch of little conferences that get a handful of participants and fail to make waves.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:45 »

The last dates we discussed internally were the exact same dates Jenn suggested and have had no negative responses to them. So, assuming Nemo responds to Saede's poke and the handful of outstanding mails/questions that are in the Seycon organization mailing list, uh, yeah, it would be around the same time.

There is nothing public, here or on the IGS, that even hints at that kind of date. Or topics, for that matter. Nor was it even mentioned in this thread until now.

That said, we're also about to get a lore dump via all of the Tiamat stuff next week. Which leaves like, a week and a half for people to incorporate the new content into whatever they want to present. That's not a lot of time (arguably not enough) regardless of which event it is, especially if people presenting don't want to look like underprepared idiots bumbling over their notes.

Yes, yes we are. I thought about trying to push an event for this weekend, but my wife would hand me my head if I tried to commit to a long event on Valentines Day. That being said, the lore dump in Tiamat is likely to make this subject explode. Such an event in the week or two after would take on a tone of urgency. Instead of people just expositing on their interpretations of the lore, they'll be reacting. So, yeah. The timing actually makes it very interesting.

This also isn't about being elitist or toeing any lines. As far as I'm concerned, more people getting involved is better - and the more people involved with pushing an event along the less likely it is to get stalled by one or two people getting a razorblade shoved up their ass by RL.

If I wanted to shit on things, I would not have taken the "hey, there's another similar thing that's already being worked on and needs a bit of nudging over the top of the hill, maybe you could come help out with that one and kill two birds with one stone" route.

My apologies for the strong reaction.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2015, 14:12 »

Seycon is still a thing ? I thought it was unofficially canceled already...

Well in any case my character wants to attend to that kind of things.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:31 »

I get the desire to not fragment the community. And Saede has a point that we need to decide on what we're going to do. Please keep me in the loop about SeyCon. Part of my goal for this is to build some credibility for Repracor, so if this merges with SeyCon, I'd really like for Repracor to have some visibility. I also want to offer the IC scientists of the Backstage & IGS communities an opportunity to come together, share what they've found and synergize each other without political baggage. Too many of the discussions on IGS get derailed by politics. By having an event in a venue, a tighter reign can be held.

Saede, you and several others were definitely on my list of people to directly reach out to to participate (and I wouldn't put it past you to show up with a pet Sleeper in tow for show-and-tell). The weekend of the 27th was another weekend I had in mind.

Ideally, I'd like for us to have something worked out by the end of the week (SeyCon or a smaller Repracor event) so we can get rolling on this. Sleepers, Seekers and cloaked structures are a big concern right now. And things are going to escalate when the Drifters arrive. I think an announcement before Tiamat for an event after Tiamat will have a very dramatic feel.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:09 »

My thought is this: treat it like SeyCon in most respects: topics, scope, presentations, etc. But call it something different to emphasize the change in operators and locations. Don't sell yourselves short and make a small event. Things are heating up in the science/research RP scene, and Repracor in many respects is the spiritual successor to SYNE. Now is definitely a good time to do something high impact and make something awesome. I'd be willing to help organise and sort things out on the operation side of it, I have quite a bit of experience running bigger events if you guys don't think you're up to it on your own, and I suspect a lot of the old SeyCon organisers would also be onboard for helping. I'd really like to be able to present though, I actually have a few presentations already typed up that I was planning on using for SeyCon, including what I think would make a nice closing presentation to end things on an upbeat note after all the sleeper scares.

Also, if you're lacking a venue, I'd be totally down for putting it at a conference centre in Foundation City, seems like a decent place to have a wormholes/sleepers scientific conference.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:28 »

Repracor very much has a venue for this. I'm going to let Jennifer run with it and offer my support in as many aspects as I can. Whilst there are thing I want Halcy to do, this is too high profile for her to organise it. She'd gladly support Jennifer in organising it though.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:33 »

Repracor very much has a venue for this. I'm going to let Jennifer run with it and offer my support in as many aspects as I can. Whilst there are thing I want Halcy to do, this is too high profile for her to organise it. She'd gladly support Jennifer in organising it though.

What is your venue? Just curious cause I think the Elysion (sp) venue might not be really arranged in a 'science conferencey' kind of way. 

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:47 »

It has one very large ballroom, two other rooms plus I'm adding a conference room. What additional to this do you think would be required?
All under an umbrella of neutrality and a policy of non aggression.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:59 »

I'd have something set up like this:

1). A Main 'floor' area that is not a conference room. This room should be the middle room and contain connections to all the other rooms.

2.) At least 1 (I'd say preferably 2,) conference rooms.

3) Some sort of space for round tables.

4) Places for guests to sleep in/near the convention centre, since its a multi-day event. I know you have a few guest rooms, but those are rather specific.

Think of like, a typical convention. Its often held in a hotel so that it has plenty of guest rooms and convention spaces, connected by a series of public corridors.

Also if you want to go all out? Have a place for vendors.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:02 »

Station automatically has capsuleer quarters.
Check the Elysian map. If you honestly feel there'd be insufficient space between everything Elysion offers I will join with you in discussion of something appropriate.
Plus as I say, neutrality.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:58 »

link me the map? My eve account is unsubbed atm due to poverty.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2015, 07:00 »

I had a talk with Nemo and Morwen last night. Nemo was ready to announce for the weekend of Feb 28th, which was the weekend I was looking at. So instead of cannibalizing each other, Repracor is going to throw its banner in with SeyCon. I've officially joined the committee, and I will represent Repracor as the public face of the conference.

I'm happy with this, as it's hitting my goals: exposure for Repracor and a venue for current S3 research efforts to be discussed in a more productive venue than the IGS. It as also agreed that Repracor is the spiritual successor of The Synnenose Accord, so our involvement would be fitting.

We also agreed that the event would occur on Seyllin as usual.

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2015, 08:47 »

I'd like to thank Jenny for the chat we had, and emphasise that pertinent to the meeting we will be making sure that the conference is both topical and welcoming. The details are all confirmed and we hope to see many submissions for consideration. Expect announcement in the next day or so!
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Anskek

« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2015, 17:05 »

Can there be a talk about proper methods of defense and offense against ancient drone constructs utilizing advanced and newly built defensive systems of a projectile type?

Followed by a live demonstration?

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2015, 18:14 »

I take it you're volunteering for such a presentation?
Pages: 1 [2] 3