Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Silphy enDiabel of the Syndicate used to be one of the Sisters of EVE? For more, read here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [RPCIN] Sleeper Symposium Live Event Input Needed (OOC)  (Read 4552 times)

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

I'm beginning to plan a Sleeper Symposium to be done as in-game event. Before making a formal announcement, i'd like some input a couple of things from those with experience with live events.

What is the experience with timing and lead time? I'm assuming weekend events get better attendance than weekdays. What general time of day works best? Would February 21st or 22nd be sufficient lead time?

Thanks in advance for any input. Look for the formal announcement soon.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: [RPCIN] Sleeper Symposium Live Event Input Needed (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:38 »

It would probably be better to get involved with SeyCon 4, which is already being organized, rather than setting up another (presumably identical in function and nature) event.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:51 »

It would probably be better to get involved with SeyCon 4, which is already being organized, rather than setting up another (presumably identical in function and nature) event.

I've not even heard of this? I've not seen it mentioned here, and a scan of the official forums doesn't turn up anything. Can you point me towards information on it, maybe?

I found it. No offense to Nmaro, but this event seems to have stalled. It was originally planned for January/mid-February, and we're now moving into mid-Feburary.

SeyCon appears to be much broader in scope, and the symposium I'm putting together is focused on the current research/study of Sleepers and Seekers that's currently occupying the IGS community.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015, 16:12 by Jennifer Starfall »

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:15 »

Competition is always a good motivator after all.  :yar:

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:27 »

I'm seriously thinking about breaking out the cattle prod to make sure N'maro gets on this, or just grabbing the reigns myself. I'm perfectly willing to run SeyCon if N'maro doesn't have the time, but I'd agree with Morwen that its probably better to take what you're planning and rolling it into SeyCon, while John is right in a sense that sometimes competition is good, I disagree in this specific case, and think the last thing we need is divisiveness within the scientific conference scene. We'll end up with conferences with single digit numbers of people attending.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:53 »

Let's at least canvas more opinions from the community before we decide to roll it into a conference which is currently not happening.

Letos

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:52 »

Sleeper research is a broad topic, blurred with rumors and speculations. I would really like to attend some kind of small scale conference IC to learn more about basic facts, canon lore and history. I can imagine that a huge conference may quickly trip into discussions about very specific topics or focus on debates about certain controversal issues. So, I'm basically supporting Jennifer's initiative. But on the other hand, if it could be attached to the bigger thing , why not? This could be done by simple announcement ("A local symposion held as preparation for SeyCon 4") or as part of a conference track. Or both.

Regarding jennifer's initial questions, I would place such a symposion on a workday, not a weekend. At least one week in advance.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:06 »

While it is a broad subject, I think it is a mistake to cut events apart into their component constituents and have a bunch of separate events.

Think of it like this, lets say you have, hypothetically, five 'bands' or 'singer' characters, and you want to have a show for them. As cool as it would be to have your own show, I feel a far better option would be to have all five perform together at one show, thus pulling in all the people who would attend one of the band's shows, and bolstering all the other bands in the process. Contrasted with, each band does its own show and is only attended by its own fans. All the events are smaller and involve fewer people.

The EVE RP community is already small, and is already highly divisive. The last thing we need is more divisiveness. We need some level of unity, some level of cohesion. We already have SeyCon, a popular, heavily attended event that pulls in people who otherwise merely lurk in the background. I've personally avoided putting together my own symposium type event for just these reasons. I certainly have a stake in the events, and the knowledge of how to put such an event together, but I don't want to take away from SeyCon.

The other thing to consider is that having a small, limited scope symposium will be small and attract a small scope of people, what will it actually accomplish that could not be accomplished equally well if not better, then a panel/series of panels at a larger event? We should be focusing on building up SeyCon as much as possible, because the bigger it is, the more draw it has, and the more interesting things could come out of it.

TL;DR: Given how small the community is, we should focus on having one good, large, well attended conference/convention, instead of having a bunch of little, sparsely attended ones. Whether that ends up being SeyCon or whatever replaces it, I think the idea of 'small science conference specific in scope' is not the best idea.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2015, 07:28 »

Sleepers, Seekers and the cloaked structures are a current topic of discussion and concern on the IGS. They're discussions that are frequently getting derailed by political infighting. When would SeyCon occur? 3 months ago, it was supposed to have occurred now, but they were still just trying to form a committee and hasn't even called for participants. It's become bureaucratic and moribund. Frankly, I don't want to see an opportunity pass while SeyCon forms a committee.

Part of the reason for Repracor to do this is to establish itself, not to just participate in an RP event that's scientific in nature.

I'll be blunt. Several of the responses are basically the kind of elitist, toe-the-line attitudes that kill RP. And I'm sorry for such vitriol, but you basically just patted me on the head, called me cute and told me to move aside so the big kids could play.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2015, 09:14 »

Have to agree with Repracor here. SeyCon may be established and all, but unless it's actually going to be on the near horizon people should not be demanded to hold off on their own events for it.

So. If SeyCon will happen within the next, say, two weeks, on a date that Jenn's event can orient to? Great, wonderful, put them together. If it won't? Then oh well, SeyCon can do without their symposium. So, SeyCon people: If you want other people to orient their events around your thing: Get on it. If you aren't, then you can't blame people for not waiting.

And frankly, considering the recent history of SeyCon (getting cancelled last year, and being heavily delayed this year), it doesn't exactly look like a very reliable or promising thing. The RP community needs more events, period, not some single "grand" event that gets canceled and delayed constantly.

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2015, 09:28 »

I'm beginning to plan a Sleeper Symposium to be done as in-game event. Before making a formal announcement, i'd like some input a couple of things from those with experience with live events.

What is the experience with timing and lead time? I'm assuming weekend events get better attendance than weekdays. What general time of day works best? Would February 21st or 22nd be sufficient lead time?

Thanks in advance for any input. Look for the formal announcement soon.

Weekend gets better attendance than weekdays.

You have to juggle EU/US timezones.  Speaking from experience, sometimes a middling compromise between the two results on more attendees but sometimes it also results in a washout.  Be sure of you KNOW is interested and set the the time so at least they can do it.

2 weeks seems a bit rushed but might be enough time if a purely social event.  For something that might require more work, I'd say one month.  Beyond that, people seem to commit easily (great idea!) and then forget in my experience.

Also, feel free to contact Luna Icly or at least mention it in passing somehow.  She has several members of SFRIM who are of a scientific bent who she might encourage to attend the conference.  She's been very concerned about the creepy scanners in high sec and shrouded locations.  While one is on leave for rl issues, the other might attend.  Luna herself isn't too much into this sort of thing but might attend to listen.

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 09:49 by Lunarisse Aspenstar »

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2015, 09:45 »

Have to agree with Repracor here. SeyCon may be established and all, but unless it's actually going to be on the near horizon people should not be demanded to hold off on their own events for it.

So. If SeyCon will happen within the next, say, two weeks, on a date that Jenn's event can orient to? Great, wonderful, put them together. If it won't? Then oh well, SeyCon can do without their symposium. So, SeyCon people: If you want other people to orient their events around your thing: Get on it. If you aren't, then you can't blame people for not waiting.

And frankly, considering the recent history of SeyCon (getting cancelled last year, and being heavily delayed this year), it doesn't exactly look like a very reliable or promising thing. The RP community needs more events, period, not some single "grand" event that gets canceled and delayed constantly.

The last dates we discussed internally were the exact same dates Jenn suggested and have had no negative responses to them. So, assuming Nemo responds to Saede's poke and the handful of outstanding mails/questions that are in the Seycon organization mailing list, uh, yeah, it would be around the same time.

That said, we're also about to get a lore dump via all of the Tiamat stuff next week. Which leaves like, a week and a half for people to incorporate the new content into whatever they want to present. That's not a lot of time (arguably not enough) regardless of which event it is, especially if people presenting don't want to look like underprepared idiots bumbling over their notes.

This also isn't about being elitist or toeing any lines. As far as I'm concerned, more people getting involved is better - and the more people involved with pushing an event along the less likely it is to get stalled by one or two people getting a razorblade shoved up their ass by RL.

If I wanted to shit on things, I would not have taken the "hey, there's another similar thing that's already being worked on and needs a bit of nudging over the top of the hill, maybe you could come help out with that one and kill two birds with one stone" route.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 09:53 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs
« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2015, 09:54 »

The last dates we discussed internally were the exact same dates Jenn suggested and have had no negative responses to them. So, assuming Nemo responds to Saede's poke and the handful of outstanding mails/questions that are in the Seycon organization mailing list, uh, yeah, it would be around the same time.

I'm sure you can forgive people if, from an external point of view, that wasn't obvious from your post?

Lunarisse Aspenstar

« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2015, 10:38 »

I'm sure you can forgive people if, from an external point of view, that wasn't obvious from your post?

The last post of substance on the IGS was November 29th saying a date would be set soon for submissions.
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5253348#post5253348

Has a date for submissions been set yet?   I confess I forgot about SeyCon since it didn't seem to be going anywhere. 

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:26 »

Not much to add here, but I'd be up for this Jennifer.  Ael would show, if only to listen, but possibly to network with others about construction techniques and products using ancient salvage. 
Pages: [1] 2 3