Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Khanid Kingdom was founded by the Khanid family royal heir after he refused to commit ritual suicide?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please explain rationale  (Read 4642 times)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Please explain rationale
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2010, 12:22 »

The forum has almost 5400 posts, and right around 30 moderator actions (perhaps a handful more if you count cases where there is a mod comment, and no other action.) Generously, we're looking at 1%, in other words.

Of those, I am fairly sure that less than half of them were controversial.

While - particularly with a 'heavier' moderation scheme - it is never going to be the case that everyone is happy with moderation, I think that suggesting that there is a spirit of 'For god sakes don't open your mouth' is at best a product of focusing on the negative incidents.

On the other end, there are going to be times that people are offended by things that do not receive moderator action. Not all reports are acted on. You don't see those, though. This is how it is supposed to work.

If the moderators are doing a good job, some people are going to be unhappy. The mods might make mistakes, now and then, even - we're all only human. The community as a whole will remain healthy, though.

I would also like to point out that having a post moved to the catacombs doesn't constitute a warning (in and of itself, though depending on the situation, a formal or informal warning may also be issued), or suggest that the intent of that post was necessarily malicious. It just means there was something problematic with the post.

Generally what that problem is is pointed out by the mod who took action, and if it's not clear please feel free to ask here or in a PM. At that point, in many cases, it is perfectly acceptable to rephrase and repost. If it isn't clear in a given case whether it is acceptable, again, simply ask the mod who took action via PM, or ask here in the Moderation Section.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2010, 14:00 »

As we essentially said re: events in the summit and their long-term impact, I don't think you can model these things in the short term in any effective manner, Silver.

Also, I'd be pleased to see a breakdown of who's making how many reports, but that'll probably never happen.

Though I have my guesses.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2010, 14:22 »

Who makes the reports isn't really relevant. It is up to the mod team whether they are acted on, and in many cases they aren't.

There are also times when the mod team acts without a report, if they happen to see something that violates the guidelines before it is reported.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2010, 23:04 »

It's not who specifically makes reports so much as how much of the userbase makes reports.

If four people have made a hundred reports each, that's pertinent information. I hope you folks are tracking that sort of thing internally.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2010, 23:07 »

It's not 'tracked', per se, but each report generates a thread and in many of these threads where an issue might not be clear cut enough for the first mod who sees it to feel comfortable acting, discussion ensues.  If a situation arises where one particular individual reports a lot of things, it might be mentioned but the report itself is taken on its own - we're not going to dismiss what may be a valid report just because it has the wrong name attached to it.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #20 on: 25 May 2010, 05:48 »

Of course not. And thanks for restating that.
Pages: 1 [2]