Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Emperor Heideran VII died on 17.09YC105  of Turit Disease just two weeks after the publication of his opus 'Pax Amarria'.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please explain rationale  (Read 4643 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Please explain rationale
« on: 22 May 2010, 20:01 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=538.0

I cannot see how the moderator who took action here found anything in the moderated text to be inappropriate.

It is clear to me that the moderator may believe that the removed text was inappropriate. I want to understand why, because I disagree entirely.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Please explain rationale
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2010, 20:33 »

I cannot speak for the moderator, but I can speak as somebody who reported the post in question (for entirely non-personal reasons, as I generally enjoy your posts and have great respect for you :) ).

I personally saw portions of the post (e.g. what Ciarente quoted) as attacks on players: referring to folks as morally base, foolish, and impotent because they engage in a popular playstyle explicitly encouraged by CCP seemed out of bounds.

I'd recommend re-reading the FAQ again, because I thought that particular post violated much of the spirit and culture that Backstage tries to foster. For example:

This forum is an OOC place for EVE roleplayers to discuss the game and roleplaying. It is a place to exchange ideas and share information. It is a place for positive, polite debate. It is a place for discussion, not arguments.

It is a place for civil and courteous conversation. It is not a place for flamewars, bullying, point-scoring or other asshattery. (The Mods reserve the right to define 'asshattery' as behaviour not in line with the forum's purpose). It is not a place for people to show how 'wrong' others are. It is not a place for the ventilation of personal vendettas. It is not a place for insults, either veiled or explicit. It is not a place for telling other people they are 'doing it wrong". It is not a place to carry on In Character feuds.

I want to repeat that I didn't report it out of any ill will towards you whatsoever; I like you, Scagga, and I really appreciate what you bring to the community. Just not that one specific post, that's all. :)

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2010, 21:12 »

I think that may not have been his intent, on a careful reading, but perception is also an issue. That's the way I saw it on the first read through as well. If it isn't clear that you are saying 'If you want to go 'evil' RP-wise, there may be more efficient ways to do it' rather than 'Your playstyle is morally wrong' on a casual reading by an average user, it can cause you and us all kinds of headaches.

I was not the mod that was involved, so I can only speak from what I saw. Looking back, I would have modded it, if there had been a report at the time I read it, because of how easily it could be misread.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2010, 21:15 »

When I look at a reported post, the first question I ask myself is 'if I were a member of the corporation/faction/player type/etc being referred to, would I feel insulted?'

In this case, I felt that yes, if I were a member of a pirate corporation, I would be insulted by the portions of your post which I excised. Judging the morality of what is a legitimate playstyle in Eve is over the line; and while your point that piracy has its limits is a good one, there is no need to bolster your argument for broader horizons with name-calling.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2010, 21:49 »

I know what we should start dealing out in the welcome threads. Umbrellas, so people and mods don't bruise in light rain. Seriously...

I've played Pirate. Hell, I play as a terrorist even. There wasn't a single part of that post that was even remotely offensive to anyone outside of kindergarten. Or shouldn't have been, at least. Bloody hell, seriously people... start using a little common sense when reporting and moderating.

If you go pirate/criminal, you ARE spreading misery. It's one of the things that is delightful about this game. It allows you to grief as a legitimate playstyle and you're often hailed for doing so. Yes, it's morally iffy, because you are intentionally hunting down people to ruin their day. How often don't you see some 'your tears sustain me' type message in the bios of pirates?

Yes, the moniker of 'pirate' can make you look foolish and incompetent. How is that an insult? It's the truth! It MAY do so. It CAN do so. It can also make you appear to be a rainbow colored chestnut roasting upon a green fire with elves dancing gaily around the campsite. Unlikely, but possible.

You know, this forum's going from 'nice community' to 'For god's sakes don't open your mouth!'.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2010, 21:52 »

Maybe I misread Scagga's post, and I fully accept that possibility. But when I read it, my eyebrows shot off the top of my head and I really felt like it didn't reflect the sort of "lovey-dovey" ;) environment the FAQ promotes.

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2010, 03:06 »

Maybe I misread Scagga's post, and I fully accept that possibility. But when I read it, my eyebrows shot off the top of my head and I really felt like it didn't reflect the sort of "lovey-dovey" ;) environment the FAQ promotes.

I don't hold any disrespect or resentment (that's too strong a choice of word, but meh) towards anyone for the moderation action taken.  I still disagree with the decision, but I am accepting it, partly because of the good accountability of these forums through publicly-visible archives of all moderated material.

I'd like to elucidate upon why I disagree with it, though I feel Mizhara made very good points that I agree with, and I might repeat a couple of the themes. It goes back to the question I posed here last week, loosely related to whether posting certain facts was offensive/out of order.  It came down to how one phrased them. 

[Background: I have been a pirate and a heartless griefer. I was a 'good pvper' once upon a time e.g. highest involved kills as an FC during the pirate invasion of Ushra'khan space in '06, part of winning fanfest pvp tournament team '07.]

Would anyone deny that there is a moral question in piracy; that it is the intentional spreading of misery? That's not a judgement, it's a observation.

Would we deny that sometimes being a pirate can make you look foolish?  If your answer is no to either of these questions, is it the case that one encounters a taboo in merely mentioning them? If I phrased them in a non-ideal way, could an alternative be proposed?

The aforementioned factual information is important for the OP, particularly as the purpose of the thread was to convince someone to not be a pirate. I am not asking for the moderation action to be reversed; merely suggesting that we consider more carefully what we constitutes the 'offensive threshold' for moderation action to take place.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2010, 05:20 »

Casiella, you're on one of the extremes of the board's little community.

I'm on the other.

We are heavily involved with many mod threads.

We often speak from self-appointed positions of authority, and we should likely, in the eyes of many, do it less.

We can live with that, I think. However, it does need to be underscored that the more common equivalent to EVE's conception of lovey-dovey is very possibly simple and direct camarediere, or what I feel Silver practices.

I feel you're going for something rather nicer than that - something a bit more sensitive. My personal opinion is that it is more sensitive than what is necessary for this board, because for some reason when I fail to measure up to your standard, I'm NOT moderated.

And just so we're clear that I'm not calling you out in any broader sense than the moderation of this board in the opinion of its userbase (and not it's staff)...Whether your conception of decent conduct in a public setting or mine is the more useful for society at large has no bearing in the context of my post, and as such I have had no intention of touching on the matter here.
this forum's going from 'nice community' to 'For god's sakes don't open your mouth!'.

I have noticed that I tend to feel that this has some ring of truth in it when others are moderated, and not when I'm moderated. Or perhaps when the sum total of moderation of others within the past few days is greater than the sum total of moderation I provoke.

This has disturbing implications.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2010, 05:22 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2010, 06:34 »

I believe there is this concept going around that you can actually talk about something as gritty as EVE without ever affronting some or others sensibilities in life.

I think it is false.

Mainly because of the old quote that went to Herkos sig on chatsubo.

'Anything Healthy and Wholesome with Rainbows does not survive in the EVE cluster.'

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Darveses

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2010, 09:05 »

'Anything Healthy and Wholesome with Rainbows does not survive in the EVE cluster.'

Respectfully, I disagree. :yar:

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2010, 09:37 »

You should know better than that, scagga. You helped make this board...  :eek:

As an aside, the broadening of the term 'pirate' probably merits a discussion itself.

Mazca

• Clonejack
  • Best Regards
« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2010, 10:03 »

I know what we should start dealing out in the welcome threads. Umbrellas, so people and mods don't bruise in light rain. Seriously...

There wasn't a single part of that post that was even remotely offensive to anyone outside of kindergarten. Or shouldn't have been, at least.

Pardon! Some of us have been slapped for considerably less than both above and what is in the OP.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2010, 10:09 »

I agree with Azhar's statement that we tend toward opposing ends of a sensitivity spectrum and that the admins exist somewhere in the middle. I respectfully disagree with my friend Mizhara about this particular post, though, and with the assertion that "healthy and wholesome with rainbows" has no place in the EVE community.  
« Last Edit: 23 May 2010, 10:22 by Casiella »

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2010, 10:24 »

I respectfully disagree with my friend Mizhara about this particular post, though, and with the assertion that "healthy and wholesome with rainbows" has no place in the EVE community.

-Getting away from Lall's point
-potentially intentionally so
-potentially for the sake of poster's own platform.

Not cool.

Oh, and there's neither an N nor a Z in 'Ashar.'

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2010, 10:56 »

While the first might be true, the latter two are not.

And I did mean Mizhara.

Edit on re-read: Oh, yes, Ashar, not Azhar. That's what I get for posting on my phone, just a typo. :)
Pages: [1] 2