Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the Society for the Conservation of State Traditions is a fiercly nationalistic Caldari lobbyist organization that unleashed a scathing rebuke of PIE Inc. pilot Kostantin Mort in late YC106.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EVE OOC: What are you good at? What are you terribad at? Confession time.  (Read 4284 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Confession time! 

Give us two OOC things you are 'good' and 'bad' at with equal success and failure in Eve Online.  You might be the best darn solo pilot in the world but also the world's worst sore loser, etc.

OOC GOOD:

1. Herding Sheep/ Managing people - The art of getting people in the right ships, organized, on comms, and at the right locations to do the things you want them to do without being a jerk.  Being legible and calm over voice comms during a fight, having fun, not raging at people, attempts at lots of patience.  Trying to make people have a bit of fun with the pew pew, keeping things going in fleets and on voice.  I think it's a fine line to walk between keeping things on task or loose over comms and when to push or pull either.  I really feel the last few years I had some very excellent times with my guys/girls where we could do lots of fighting and only the bare minimum of voice traffic was needed to have everyone doing the right things at the right times.

2. Piracy.  The Art of quickly killing people who don't want to be killed, forcing engagements when and where you want them.  It's not as glorious as leading 500 people in fleet fights, but being able to have situational awareness for ten jumps in different directions and plan attacks and route people to where you want them or can bottle them is hard.  Our little cohort got very good at figuring out ways to counter people who are trying to sneak through, move supplies, or who lose focus for a second jumping through a gate.  Finding people doing 'safe' activities and getting them. Having that one person in local that you forgot about quietly probing you down for his friends to eat your lunch in your expensive ratting ship. Learning all the PVP stuff for not losing targets after you engage them. Prioritizing the people you want to get 'dat loot' from.  Revealing just enough ships to get them to want to fight.  Baiting with appropriate ships to get them to bite on the hook.  Learning to recognize when it's happening to you and avoiding.  Making people make typically 'safe' aggression and then killing them. (like aggression off a station with a capital ship or something else expensive, etc)

OOC BAD:

1. Mediocre/bad pilot and duelist on the best of days.  I've relied on reputation and character age to bluff people into not dueling me on many occasions. Other players often confuse character age/group killboard stats with solo ability, and they couldn't be less related. Leading group stuff is more tactical and strategic, solo fights require an additional completely different set of piloting skills that I don't do well.  It's been interesting as there have been plenty of sorts who probably would have straight up killed me in 1v1 situations after being challenged IC but their fear of losing public face kept them away, and saved me a lot of public expensive ship losses :)

2. Industry/Trading/Manufacturing/Mining/Missioning:  I have less skill and basic competence in most of those areas than people who have been playing the game for a few months with even a passing interest in any of them.  Occasionally over voice comms I will venture a ridiculous noob question about some sort of basic principle and people are like 'you've been playing this game for how long now? You're an idiot.'  I'm like 90% on the killboard but I've had days where I'll be like 'oh i haven't done a mission in a long time' and then instantly lose two battleships to plebe rats in a mission.

« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2015, 10:11 by Silas Vitalia »

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

Sure.

Good:
1. Frigate and Destroyer piloting and fitting. Solo and Small Gang. I solo faction frigates in my tormentor, relatively regularly. I am also pretty sure that my tormentor is just about as good a fit as you can have for the hull. Same with my coercer fit (though I owe Merdaneth for the basic idea on that one). PIE small frigate and dessie gangs hit far harder than many other small groups of t1 hulls because our Amarr fits are extremely good and we know how Amarr ships function in a group better than basically anyone.

2. Amarr Lore/Thinking about Amarr. I have been doing this for a very long time now. Also, having spent the same amount of time studying culture as a career doesn't hurt.

Bad:
1. Patience with most of EVE's players. I don't have it. Period. I can barely fly with militia fleets and the like because I just don't have the patience for them. At this point it is very easy to fall into total bittervet mode with just about all aspects of the EVE playerbase. This leads to the second big flaw I see.

2. Follow through on ideas. I have good ideas often, I almost never have the time/energy/patience with people to realize those ideas in game. This manifests itself in a flurry of activity every few months followed by me basically passing (or more accurately, usually dropping) the ball on almost all projects that I start a month or so later.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Good:

1. Fitting ships in ways that isn't shite.
2. Finding alternate ways to make ISK
3. Snarking

Bad:

1. Kiting
2. Multitask active tanking, drones and heat at once.
3. Actually writing something for Eve.
4. Logging in regularly.
5. D-scan fast enough.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2015, 11:10 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

I tried to do this, but I'm not sure there's anything I'm actually good at in this game.

Lyn Farel

I wrote that at work and feel kind of bad/lazy not to have taken the time to be a bit more loquacious and exhaustive.

The Bad

- OOC diplomacy, being conciliatory, being open to compromise when something directly conflicts with unbreakable personal principles. Patience with Eve players : I loathe most of the Eve community and its mindset and have done so more and more over the years as much as I played the game. As Samira, I would expect people to get along and just be respectful to each other. I am at the same time proud of me being self righteous, opinionated about OOC things, and very outspoken about things I hold dear or important, as I care (a lot). And very upset as I get easily invested in how making things the best, at the expense of the actual result, and then start to blame others instead of blaming my own responsibility in a blatant lack of diplomacy, hiding behind a white mantle of paragon. As much as I feel completely right about what I say in such matters, I quickly feel torn the day after, or even hours after, knowing that I am dealing a blow to my social relations for the sake of my principles that will always come before. And that makes me feel bad overall, that's also something I have troubles to deal with since I have no clear answer on that regard.

- Unlike in vocal, I sound cold, pedantic, and dry when re-reading myself. I have difficulties to do otherwise as I may prove to be quite close to an INTJ profile. I have some troubles socially. I get along perfectly fine individuals by individuals, but I have serious troubles with communities, groups and institutions as a whole.

- Not enough daring as a FC or pilot. Too calculating, where daring things is actually how you get a lot of fights and kills and stuff. That's what makes me a decent pvper, and I was very knowledgeable about such things before I stopped caring altogether. But the little thing that I lacked was actually the will to have fun, to enjoy myself, and yolo the whole thing. That's what makes the best pvpers out there, added to their perfect mastery of pvp and ship fittings themselves. That little thing is a whole world of difference between the decent, and the best ones.

- Trading mostly, and not very well versed into industry stuff, but could do decently contrary to trading. I don't know why but I never got into trading. The few times I tried hoping to make a lot of money, I got the opposite result. It's just something alien to me.

- Organizing social things, motivating people, managing people. I just fail at it. I am a good teacher, but a very bad motivator and animator. Everything I try to set up miserably fails, or if it kinda works for a few months, it will falter terribly anyway.

- I suck at finding good income sources ingame. Ok, now with my experience and age ingame, I have at my disposal the best tools for pve, for example (mauraudeur if that's still a thing, or bling incursion vindi, and can anyway fall back to the new meta pretty easily as I can fly anything). So I can earn a decent amount of money, but that's nothing compared to a lot of people that can make billions in days without farming it all day long. It's nothing compared to traders or people that have found more evolved way that prove to be of course a lot more lucrative. I also suck at finding fun and interesting ways to make isk... Freaking tedious.

The Good

- Theory crafting, game mechanisms, etc. I can get a good grasp of game mechanisms pretty easily, and that on most games. Some talk to me better than some others of course, but I suppose I have a mind for that. I see how things work, I feel it pretty fast and then I can process something out of it instead of just basing myself on empirical feelings.

- Tactical and strategic planning as a FC or pilot. Quickly calculating odds and possible outcomes, keeping numbers in mind at all times. It's more like a gut feeling than computing everything in real time. I FCed a decent amount of times, lead my corps and mates and proved to be rather pedagogic in that regard. I was good with novices, to show them how to evolve and learn. I turned a whole carebear corp into frenzy pvpers. I turned a lot of novices in my own corp into very motivated players that were so eager to continue that I just dropped under the pressure as I didn't have the time to do much more. I have charisma in wet work on the field, but I completely lack it on a person, corp and activities management.

- More generally on the RP side, I have a good amount of experience in that. Started with SWG in 2001 before it was released, and grew with it over the years, and more recently with tabletop as well. I was literally a Star Wars bible back in that time and was considered as the main reference by most people (or as the main SW nerd of the community). I have a thing for stories and playing the game master, and can bring to players, especially on forum RP but not only, stories that motivate them a lot.

The Ugly

- I tend to view people lacking in principles ingame as people lacking in principles out of game as well. This is something I try to moderate as much as I can, but I know it's true for some of them so... Well, it's ugly of me.

I tried to do this, but I'm not sure there's anything I'm actually good at in this game.

Character designer ?  :P
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2015, 15:33 by Lyn Farel »

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

Good:

1. Fitting ships in ways that isn't shite.
2. Finding alternate ways to make ISK
3. Snarking
4. Making me laugh in the Summit

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor

My good and bad things are almost entirely social-based. While I consider myself a decent pilot, I'm by no means excellent. And beyond that, I'm generally mediocre in most gamey things I do in EVE.

GOOD
1. Characterization and lore: I've been roleplaying for almost two decades and have had a lot of time to learn from my past mistakes in roleplay. I've received a lot of compliments in how I portray Samira, and I'm actually somewhat glad I decided to only try EVE several years after I first got interested in it, because it gave me the time to really grow as an RPer before starting EVE properly. I try very hard to make my characters highly believable ones in general, and spend much of my free time researching things to help in that portrayal. I had a reputation as a loremistress in another RP community I played in, and have apparently built up a similar one in EVE (I got listed as a lore resource on one of the Amarr OOC channels <.<). Related to this, I have an amazing memory which really helps here.

2. Friendship best ship: I rival Morwen in the amount of channels I'm in, even when the occupants of one might hate the occupants of the other. While I am occasionally opinionated and sometimes fail, I try very hard to maintain positive relations with everyone on an OOC level, even though things are often hostile on an IC one. Ultimately it's only a game, and I really, really hate out-of-character drama. I want everyone to just get along and have fun with each other. Along this line, I'm usually considered a reliable and capable fleet and corp member, as I overall try to make myself helpful and useful. Ultimately I'm probably the worst possible person for EVE Online, as I believe people should be nice to each other and build each other up instead of constantly tearing each other down and treating everyone like enemies.

BAD
1. Drama management: Inversely of above, when drama actually does happen I simply can't handle it. I'm oversensitive, emotional, spineless, and I lack energy. The game gets to me, a lot. It doesn't help that I chose to play a faction where I'm spending a sizeable portion of my time getting into arguments about it, mainly IC but also sometimes OOC (which is probably mostly my fault as I take OOC comments personally when I shouldn't). It stresses and depresses me RL, and makes me very explosive. This can often lead me to saying really stupid shit that I really shouldn't have. I apologize to anyone who I've yelled at or about as a result of this. Taking things with stride is something I'm really really bad at.

2. Economy: The one gamey bit I will include here, because I'm incredibly bad at it. In every game I've ever played, including EVE, I'm always scraping the bottle of the barrel in money. Money is something I find essentially no value in save as a necessity for other things, and I prefer just spending my gametime doing things that feel like they have some kind of meaning and purpose (I'll for instance grind standings because the faction fits the character, not to get money, jump clones, reduce station costs, or anything like that. The raw standing value, the working to support something my character cares for, that means more to me than any of the rewards you get from it). Lengthy monotonous activities that, in my point of view, reward something that means nothing to me quickly demotivates me. And the activities that I do have fun with, things like mining, hauling, or production, which make me feel like I'm accomplishing something meaningful in the work itself, ultimately give such low amounts as to be basically pointless. Especially since industry update killed the t2 module market. Let's not get into trading. I don't understand money, I don't understand margins, all I want is to just take the things I build and sell them and not have to worry about 1 isk wars or whether I'm in the green or red. I like to produce things, but once I have them I simply do not understand or care how to market them. Know Wade from Dragon Age? Yeah, kind of like that. Let me build things! Someone else can do the selling. I overall simply don't have a head for business, and it leaves me perpetually broke. I work best and feel more valuable when I'm doing something simply for the reward of doing it rather than the income. Farm missions and make hundreds of millions of isk? Meh. Haul something for the corp from point A to point B? Oh yes, right away! No you don't need to pay me, I'll do it for free.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2015, 11:55 by Samira Kernher »

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

Good:
  • Being a cloaky bastard
  • Flying support roles

Bad:
  • Solo PVP
  • Flying manually

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette

While I consider myself a decent pilot, I'm by no means excellent.

You are being *way* too hard on yourself here. You are outright good and the only people I know who are better have spent *much* more time total pvping.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

I am terrible at PVE
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Good:

Solo/Small gang: I've been doing it for almost 5 years, and I know near enough exactly what I'm doing in any ship I care to fly. Doesn't stop me from making mistakes or dying to superior numbers, but I can beat the average pilot in almost any fight.

Logistics: The ship not the job. I've been getting a lot of practice with this in PY-RE and can honestly say I've never lost more than 1 fleet mate in a fight where I didn't die first.

Theory crafting: I pride myself on my ability to invent and modify ship fittings for both solo and fleet work. Years of practice with this means I also know the capabilities of any ship I come up against, and I think there are only about 5 ships in the game I cannot name from memory. Most of these are industrials of one form or another.

Bad:

Apathy: Sometimes, even logging in can be a struggle.

RP: I basically don't RP any more. Too much effort for far too little reward. This is a shame, but :meh:

Stealth Bombers: I don't even

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger

I am terrible at PVE

Ah hah! So that's why you formed a corporation: to have all of us PvE for you and just tax us. :lol:

Anyanka Funk

Good:

Scanning, combat scanning, recon, assessing the situation.

Shooting things that can't shoot back.

Bad.

PvP, pve, rp, running a corp, goals, discretion, money magement, alts, romance, and public speaking.

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

The Good:

Administration: AWEX- is not massive, but it is a full time project with up to a dozen individual industrialists hoping to get paid for their work.  It is the culmination of years of planning and iterating, and has provided a lot of ISK to members while remaining profitable and growing year on year. 

Leadership: I have executorship and CEOship in many corporations and 1 alliance (prior to MITG) under my belt.  I consider myself a capable leader, though more suited to project oriented operations than long-lived groups that require reinvention every few years. 

Co-operation: Assuming that another organisation has a reason to be working alongside mine, I am generally transparent about my goals and reasonably welcoming in terms of assistance, education and funds - so long as there is a net gain in terms of content or ISK for both parties.  At present this involves fostering individual industrial projects with some current and former AWEX- members. 

The Bad:

Lack of patience outside of my personal scope: I only really have time for my considerations.  In open channels this doesn't apply so much - I am not so unaware as to push my interests on a public venue.  But in private or project oriented discussion, extraneous discussion or 'padding' either sends me to sleep or kills my interest in co-operation rapidly.  Simply put, I switch off or outright wave off anything that isn't going to result in pretty immediate gains. 

Willingness to grasp 'The Meta': I won't be leading, participating in or being terribly effected by high-level game play, simply because I have no more interest in it.  I admire large alliances and top tier game play concepts excite the gamer in me, but the reality of it all - and the fact it can all be broken down to a series of ultimately meaningless, self-fellatory moves at the abstract level - has killed my ability to get motivated about it.  Maybe not so much a 'bad' for some, but I considered null game play to be the crux of my eve experience once upon a time and as much as I enjoy what I do now, I do miss the old passion I had for that game play. 

No master but me: Unless you're FCing, I'm not taking orders.  Independent wealth and the ability to generate more than I need and encourage others to do the same has pretty much killed any interest I have in taking orders beyond who to apply my guns to.  As a result I find it grating to function anywhere but the very top of industrial activities and the very bottom of PVP activities.  Prole in the fleets, Master between the (excel) sheets. 

Solo PvP: My answer to e-honour is a space ship gun line.  Rock, paper, scissors with a skill point modifier and slight malus for playing with oven mitts on has been a recorded opinion of mine, for better or worse, for quite some time.  I appreciate many enjoy it, but it is on the list of many things that others enjoy that I just find bewildering.  As a result I am a pretty good solo target and die to solo fights more often than not. 

Anskek

OOC GOOD:
1) Keeping control of fleets/people when it's my job to do so. I will happily chew out anyone who does not understand the meaning behind me saying check a few times. I don't put up with it. One warning. Happens again? Removed from fleet. People have learned to listen to this, as things generally turn out good when they do.

2) RP/player lore content. My guys and girls ask me a lot about lore and I'm always happy to help. I also am good at making content for people to use. Whether it's NEIH or channels I make. People complain about my overly descriptive writing style but, to that I say this. What would you rather have? Another bar described in the same old way? Or an outdoor venue, where stringing together a few extra words can create a visceral experience where you smell the fresh air and can imagine the feel of the foliage around you or hear the sound of a city avenue full of life? Which would you rather have?

OOC BAD:
1) Abrasive. Need I say more? I know I'm blunt and to the point. I personally like it. I'm under no illusion that others do not.

2) Fittings. Don't even get me started. A lot of my members will theory craft fleet doctrines on comms. I try to listen I really do. My eyes end up glazing over. I dunno why but I just can't get into learning ship fittings. Maybe because it's like a jigsaw puzzle. I hate those.
Pages: [1] 2 3