Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis stole one of the six Soltueur-class Titans from the Gallente Federation?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Democalypse 116: He Roden to town 5 years ago, now can we chase him out?  (Read 5121 times)

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
  • Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs.
    • The Goblin's Cave

So for those of you who remember the end of 2009, the Federation elected a new President after the last one quit because he realised he'd hung himself politically.

5 years on and we're less than a month away from what should be the next round of elections, to coincide with Roden's 5 year term ending on the 1st of YC112 (Jan 1st 2010).

While the sceptical part of me expects this to get sweeped under the rug with a "Roden retains" mini column post, I question "should he?" Roden was elected during a time the Federation was in chaos and struggling on the military front, in that time the shape of faction warfare has changed from being big story news to "it goes on" and the Shiigeru that loomed over Caldari Prime and was a major focal point of his campaign is long gone, and Caldari Prime's ownership resolved.

The Federation is moving out of the hostile war-like mindset and back towards the peace and prosperity, outliers and fringe conflicts aside. Would he really be the right man to continue at the helm? The Dove bloc would certainly have grown and retain their position of opposition.

Also I really hope this doesn't get a small sweep under the rug esque mention, anything regarding leadership changes of the big four should be considered major news.
"I blame society for anything I've said that you disagree with."

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

He could certainly get re-elected easily ....

Albeit Placid occupied systems were not included in the last event......the entire economy has held strong and continued to support mild growth (this is an extrapolation of news items, Material Acquisition involvement in New Caldari and other tidbits here and there) which would mean that a large portion of the population at least considers his management a "succesful one" keeping people's pockets with enough to feed and carry on.

On the political arena in general, i would presume he has an impressive array of detractors and oposition in all fronts.....but no real mistakes in the grand scheme....

Most interesting perhaps is the plausible scenario his behind-the-scenes deals have kept the Federation and the Tribal Assembly at a safe distance, yet close enough to know where to benefit from each other (regardless of the colelie incident).

All in all....if he goes for re-election, it is possible to win again.....otherwise CCP lore team would need to come up with some alternative scenario to demonstrate a new strong candidate.

Jace

• Veteran

It would be a big failure on the part of CCP to not do anything with this. At the bare minimum, a few World News articles.

Dessau

While I share the hope of something more, I'm wondering if I'll simply log in one day to a news item stating the election results, sans lead-up or community involvement.

On the one hand, there seems to be some public sentiment that peace should prevail. War profiteering seems to be at an all-time high thanks to FW, and in some circles there is the palpable sense that the omphalos of the throngs of the dead is not Fed ideals but rather egotism, bloodlust, and greed. Many who have lost family and friend will ask why, may ask if their home is any better for it.

Yet those who gain the most from FW are in effect Roden's cronies and colleagues, and they must wield considerable influence on how the election would be framed in and around CEMWPA systems.

In a Doves vs Vultures grudge match, I'd bet on Vultures.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave

It really boils down to if there's a better hawk candidate than Roden. The magpies won't be enough to sway it either way, and the vultures will stick with Roden, if they get the hawk vote it's probably tied up.

Short of the ostrich bloc suddenly becoming doves.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2014, 15:48 by Caellach Marellus »

Jace

• Veteran

Been so long since I've seen people use those terms. Nice to see.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

The best way to deal with this would be Roden announcing a timeframe for new elections, probably around february 2015 or so...

CCP live events team then assign some large scale stuff for a 2-month rally of some sort......centered on the "logistics" of political campaigns (couriers, hauling, materiales, etc)....any mishaps and the candidate turnout may be lower...but not crippled...that way you still get a nice clean expected result ...but capsuleers did indeed have an effect on certain outcomes.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Please help us ignorant folks and explain all these avian terms.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Jace

• Veteran

Gallente voter blocs.

Caellach Marellus

• CONCORD Poster Boy.
  • Omelette
    • The Goblin's Cave

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Gallente#Voter_Blocs

That will sum it up better than we can.

As things currently stand the vulture bloc is firmly behind Roden, while the doves are directly opposed to him. The magpies will chase the money to whatever makes them richer, but are too small to be a real decider unless the hawk bloc splits its vote.

The hawks tend to vote pragmatically, picking the best candidate for the current interests of the Federation, who they support fluctuates from election to election depending on what the needs for prosperity are.

The ostriches are the stereotypical airheaded Gallentians who know next to nothing but will vote on catchy slogans and excellent adverts. They make up a large part of the populous but will never vote in any organised consensus... if they bother to vote at all.

Lyn Farel

The only guy showing up after so many years just for the next elections  :P

Are you back ingame as well ? 8)

I have always been rather worried for CCP to forget about those elections. And that kind of stuff doesn't happen in one night either usually...

Akrasjel Lanate

• Omelette

Made a thread about it in the Live Events subforum some time ago

After Fortian the a person can run for one or two terms ?
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2014, 10:07 by Akrasjel Lanate »

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

After Foiritain adjusts, 3 terms i believe.

Dessau

I WL'd a few of the IGS players (Dess likes to snoop, after all), but I fear that, once again, timezone issues will quash my potential involvement in discussions.

Ollie

• Egger

The triple dynamic of a Jacus Roden/Serpentis vs Mentas Blaque/SDII vs Senate power struggle could be interesting to play with if plots involving spaceside pewpew could be set against its backdrop. Throw in 'opportunistic' players (Amarr/Caldari/Minmatar subfactions, Intaki sepratists, Syndicate err ... syndicates) all trying to advance their own causes and that might be a good reason to keep Roden in the Presidency.

Not holding my breath waiting to see it happen though.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2014, 05:04 by Ollie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4