Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

As part of its political goal to make the State stronger economically, Lai Dai is the primary supporter of the School of Applied Knowledge. Check out more here!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: game mechanics and rp involving them  (Read 9483 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: game mechanics and rp involving them
« Reply #30 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:30 »

"It's your subscription and your money, do whatever you want".

What a sad view of (multiplayer) gaming, and society.  :|

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:32 »

"It's your subscription and your money, do whatever you want".

What a sad view of (multiplayer) gaming, and society.  :|

Yes, because those two things can be reasonably extrapolated from the current discussion.

Oh. Wait.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:33 »

?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:34 »

?

You took a comment in a conversation about a specific topic and randomly applied it to not just 'multiplayer gaming' but fucking 'society.' That has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:36 »

It has actually. It is the perfect reflection of something that plagues current society as a whole.

I am not sure to understand why do you need to be so aggressive and/or defensive about it.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 11:38 by Lyn Farel »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:39 »

Yes, because a subset of a subset of a subset of society has anything relevant to say about society as a whole. Take off your theory hat, it doesn't fit properly.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:45 »

I'm occasionally a bit of a cynic but I have to go with Jace on this one. I really don't see how that'd fit anything but MMOs at the moment.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:48 »

Take away the bit on society if you must, but that doesn't change the point the slightest...

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:56 »

I'm actually not sure what your point is. You just sort of implied "dis bads". Mind elaborating?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:58 »

The point wasn't relevant to the discussion at hand - that's what I was saying. Trying to interject into a discussion with a broad melodramatic comment about how certain viewpoints are somehow a sign of greater malaise in the world does nothing to contribute to the discussion at hand nor is it relevant. The topic came up for a reason.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #40 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:20 »

I'm actually not sure what your point is. You just sort of implied "dis bads". Mind elaborating?

"This is bad" ?

The point is that this kind of thinking is rather detrimental to RP communities, group activities, and social gaming, because it turns everything to selfishness and mass consumption mentalities, where it is all about the individualistic RPer player and his precious needs and whims, and not about what makes the group faring better overall and producing a better quality of outcomes.

Put more simply, thinking that you are paying so it allows you to do whatever you want as long as you are having fun, as much as very true and possible, doesn't make it the necessary desirable thing to do on the long run. Cf the current state of the community, fragmented, full of bitter and petty griefs towards each other.

Edit : in answer to Synthia's necroing of this thread, Synthia got directly told back that RP involves a decent lot of making stuff up, which sounds perfectly reasonable, and discussing at what scale it could be done was the original purpose of the OP. Synthia got also told something in the vein of "and if people are not happy with something [meaning, if you are not happy with it], they can shove it right up you know where, because i'm a paying customer and I do what I please to have fun". That is what I am reacting to, basically. I am sorry if it wasn't clear from the beginning.
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2014, 12:23 by Lyn Farel »

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:23 »

...where it is all about the individualistic RPer player and his precious needs and whims, and not about what makes the group faring better overall and producing a better quality of outcomes.

On the contrary, people demanding that their RP and their characters be taken seriously by everyone is what causes what you are talking about. That is where the 'precious needs and whims' are located, not those of us who take a live and let live attitude.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #42 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:26 »

Well I beg to disagree. You attitude is the very root of several issues to my opinion.

I do not disagree on the first part of your sentence, mind you. Some people are asking their characters to be taken seriously by everyone when their characters are just barking everywhere without anyone even having heard of them, and without any history behind them.

However I am struggling to see what this has to do with "how far can game mechanics used to make up RP stuff" ?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:27 »

Well I beg to disagree. You attitude is the very root of several issues to my opinion.

I do not disagree on the first part of your sentence, mind you. Some people are asking their characters to be taken seriously by everyone when their characters are just barking everywhere without anyone even having heard of them, and without any history behind them.

However I am struggling to see what this has to do with "how far can game mechanics used to make up RP stuff" ?

That's because you weren't in-game for the discussion that spawned a resurgence in this topic. Hence me saying your original comment was off-topic as to what everyone else was talking about.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 26 Oct 2014, 12:29 »

I don't really see how "Do your thing, it's cool. You might not get everyone to go along with the thing, but that's okay." is somehow a bad thing. I really don't.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5