Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: game mechanics and rp involving them  (Read 9482 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: game mechanics and rp involving them
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2012, 23:17 »

You are of course right in that no one can demand that you spend that ISK, effort and time to get the 'correct' items just for RP purposes, Ulf. Still, if you are involved in some sort of RP exchange/business or whatever and suddenly bring a cargohold full of some lesser item instead of the agreed upon item, I'd certainly be dubious unless you'd OoC cleared this stuff beforehand.

Arrangements can of course be made, but unless you have a damn good reason for it, it'd be cheapening the whole thing if you don't at least try for the real stuff. There's exceptions to all rules, but my personal rule is to put my time, effort and ISK where my mouth is, RP-wise. If I can't afford it or don't have the time to get it, neither does my characters. Simply because if I suddenly start pulling things out of my ass and pretend, the people who actually did take the time and spend the resources to get the real deal completely wasted their time.

And yes, the majority of the times when I went to TLG, I had my characters in Goinard. The same applies to when I had characters go to the Chained Amarrian or whatever it was called, and the rest of those places. 

Lyn Farel

« Reply #16 on: 29 Feb 2012, 04:20 »

I agree but on the part where it is supposed to be better to be in local (Goinard for TLG, etc), why should my character be there in local when she actually came via the interbus and not with her own capsule ? That would not make any sense at all.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 29 Feb 2012, 15:26 »

I agree but on the part where it is supposed to be better to be in local (Goinard for TLG, etc), why should my character be there in local when she actually came via the interbus and not with her own capsule ? That would not make any sense at all.

Not everyone accepts the idea that InterBus runs a taxi service for podders.

That's why Mata holos in there, and one of the reasons I'm fond of virtual spaces.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 29 Feb 2012, 16:23 »

Okay.

Out of curiosity, how do you deal with the fact that some people use it still ?

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 29 Feb 2012, 18:12 »

Okay.

Out of curiosity, how do you deal with the fact that some people use it still ?

I take them at their word that they're actually at the place they say they are. I don't usually ask people how they got there.

There's not much to be gained by saying "But I don't see you in local". From a game perspective, that they can claim to have interbussed to Goinard and then undock in Rens or wherever 10 seconds after something interesting happening does seem to stretch the Interbus metaphor a bit, but again, it's not really hurting me.

A more complicated question is how do you deal with people who are roleplaying their character in two locations at once. I have seen that (while watching from different characters).

Again, I take them at their word. There's still not much to be gained by trying to call them on it.

Ciarente once made an argument comparing her limited play time with her characters amount of time in the world which was fairly convincing to me, and if she or anyone else is not using the ability to be in more than one place for I-Win-RP then it's not doing me any harm.

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #20 on: 29 Feb 2012, 18:48 »

For the record, The Last Gate has been in TXW, not Goinard, for the last half-year or so. :)

As for double-timing, playing two things at once while saying they're not happening at the same time is madly confusing for my sense of causality. What happened before what? I've known someone to lose a pod while also playing a scene where it mattered which body they were in.

One of the advantages of virtual venues is that you can quite legitimately be hunting or building or whatever at the same time, and talking in the virtual world about the things that are happening for each of you in the "real" world.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 29 Feb 2012, 20:43 »

For the record, The Last Gate has been in TXW, not Goinard, for the last half-year or so. :)

I'm still Ok, I haven't been there in more than that long. :)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 01 Mar 2012, 00:00 »

I suspect if anyone gets around to changing it it'll be in Tasti in the near future instead.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #23 on: 01 Mar 2012, 12:18 »

As for double-timing, playing two things at once while saying they're not happening at the same time is madly confusing for my sense of causality. What happened before what? I've known someone to lose a pod while also playing a scene where it mattered which body they were in.

One of the advantages of virtual venues is that you can quite legitimately be hunting or building or whatever at the same time, and talking in the virtual world about the things that are happening for each of you in the "real" world.

I was not especially refering to playing in several physical places at the same time. I do not like it more than you do, actually.

I did that only one time because the 2nd RP was something we did not had the time to finish properly the day before, which was obviously supposed to have happened the previous day (had to disconnect in the middle of something where leaving was just absurd).

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #24 on: 01 Mar 2012, 12:27 »

Barring some incredibly canonically rare items, there are some items which are stupidly rare ingame due to the mechanics of how they interact with the players, but would likely not be rare at all in-universe.

Yes. There are some items, which would be useful in rp scenarios, which are only obtainable if you fail a once-per-character mission.

this naturally makes them, very, very expensive isk wise.

For some things, you can do a substitute, in that cargo containers can be renamed.

a box labelled "Proof of Things" could be useful for various things, for example.
\o/

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #25 on: 01 Apr 2012, 21:11 »

Barring some incredibly canonically rare items, there are some items which are stupidly rare ingame due to the mechanics of how they interact with the players, but would likely not be rare at all in-universe.

Yes. There are some items, which would be useful in rp scenarios, which are only obtainable if you fail a once-per-character mission.

this naturally makes them, very, very expensive isk wise.

For some things, you can do a substitute, in that cargo containers can be renamed.

a box labelled "Proof of Things" could be useful for various things, for example.

Agreed.  With a prior OOC agreement, this could be quite helpful for dealing with cases where the actual ingame item is stupidly expensive due to mechanical issues (usually, its some sort of blinkin' mission completion item *sigh*).

As to the Interbus: I treat it as something Tarunik has to dock his ship at a station to be able to catch.  Then again, actually flying IG over to places such as TXW-EI isn't always practical (don't want to be the poor sap going "Who the F*** is camping the undock here with a #$!#$! dictor", after all).  (Also: I consider the act of Tarunik "trashing" people to be "I'll give you some cash and an Interbus ticket to wherever you wish, good luck!", otherwise absurdities result O.o)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #26 on: 26 Oct 2014, 09:59 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=6152.0

For the past three months, civilian populations across several major planets in the Amarr Empire have been subject to anti-Theology Council propaganda beamed at their planets from hidden transmitters.

The Imperial Navy and Ministry of Internal Order have been unable to locate these transmitters, causing consternation at the highest level of Imperial politics.

Why would someone say it's impossible? I distinctly remember the show info for some mission structures that says the satellite dish type things you find in missions can be used to beam propaganda across a system. Communications Telescope I think they're called.

Because a mobile depot, containing the ingame items hydrogen batteries, miniature electronics and transmitters, is not one of those structures you mentioned, regardless of what it's called. It's just a mobile depot with a stupid name.

It's just a mobile depot. with a stupid name, and some inert objects in it.

the populations (what populations?) of the planets are oblivious to its presence.

The MIO or Navy haven't located it because they haven't been looking for it, because it is just another pile of capsuleer debris, that isn't blocking traffic, so is irrelevant.

So, why would it be legitimate to say that it is a thing that does stuff ? when by all game mechanics, it clearly isn't.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #27 on: 26 Oct 2014, 10:28 »

Roleplay requires a suspension of disbelief, on the part of all involved parties, to work.  If a player chooses to do a thing in a game, and finds themselves restricted by existing game mechanics and so discovers that they must 'make do' with what the game mechanics provide as an available means of representing their intent, then it is subsequently up to every other player to decide for themselves whether they wish to suspend their own disbelief in the same fashion as the player who did the thing to begin with and interact with that thing on an IC basis - or not.

Electus Matari freed slaves.  There is no method supported by game mechanics for doing so.  One does not simply right click on the ingame item "Slave" and generate through the menu a new item "Freed Slave".  Electus Matari made do.  The rest of the playerbase decided for themselves to suspend their own disbelief and interact with this.  They were not required to do so.  I'm sure there was at least one person who decided not to do so.

It is fractious of one to demand that their own 'thing' be acknowledged and interacted with by persons who have no desire to do so.  If I have someone blocked ingame (and I do), and that person's character sees Havohej in a bar and approaches him and starts RPing at him, and I don't respond because I never even see it (because :blocked:), I'm not doing anything wrong.  I've chosen not to interact with that person or their characters.  For whatever reason or no reason at all, according to my own whims.  My subscription, my prerogative.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #28 on: 26 Oct 2014, 10:55 »

Like it was said in the channel yesterday, people will accept and reject different RP to suit their own view of New Eden. This is perfectly okay and is easily dealt with. I really don't see why it's so important for people to demand acceptance of their every whim when it comes to RP when you can just do your own thing and play nice with those who like that thing. If you don't like that thing, ignore it and play with those who like your thing.

Someone's IC reaction to your thing is frankly rather irrelevant as you can just write that off as someone being crazy, cranky, lying or just overall not worth your time. The OOC reactions can be dealt with in pretty much the same manner. It's our own subscription money and we get to decide which parts of Eve we are willing to engage with. It's as simple as that.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: 26 Oct 2014, 11:01 »

I think the confusion with this whole thing has been people misinterpreting rejection of their RP actions as a claim that the mechanics somehow don't line up. That might be part of it, but might not be. There are many reasons to ignore what someone is doing or dismiss it. Nobody is obligated to recognize anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5