Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Intaki Liberation Front used local civilian employees in its orbital production facility known as Prosperity Station? Read more about it here

Author Topic: [Character] Laria Raven  (Read 1442 times)

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
[Character] Laria Raven
« on: 17 Apr 2011, 05:22 »

I was impressed with Cmdr Baxter's picture thing, so I lifted the idea. (Sry!)

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
Re: [Character] Laria Raven
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2011, 09:37 »

Very nice. :D

I'm also planning on ripping off Baxter's look, but how do you get the line effect?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2011, 09:44 »

I'd just say "+1" but Miz might think I should say more, so I'll say that I've greatly enjoyed RPing with you and reading your blog and being in the same corp.

Though, 19? Yeesh. Oops. ;)

Laria Raven

• Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2011, 11:38 »

Um. /I/ got the line effect by creating a layer which was white and black horizontal stripes. setting it to be soft light and about 50% opacity. (The last bit just lowered the line effect a bit - they look sharper at 100%). I use GIMP. The lines layer is behind the text box, but it shows through because that's not opaque either.

There might be better, more proper, ways to do it. I'm a bit of a flailing novice.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2011, 12:20 »

If you use photoshop, create a new document of 1x2 pixels (2 for height), or 1x3, and use the pencil tool (not the brush, the pencil = full pixel opacity) to color one of the pixels in the wanted color (electric blue for holograms for example). Got to edit > save as pattern.

Then go back to your main document and create a new layer. Put it above all the others and hit ctrl+backspace (or another tool) to fill it with the background color (any color will do). Then right click on the layer and go to edit fusion properties. Reduce the background opacity to 0 (not the main opacity, just the background opacity). Check "inlay pattern" (or something like that) and select the one you saved as a pattern (1x2px or 1x3px).

Your layer should now be striped and covering the rest of the image. You can now play with the opacity or the fusion modes of the layer to perfect the effect.

Laria Raven

• Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2011, 08:10 »

...winner of the YC 113 Capsuleer "Rear of the Year" award (female division)...

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2011, 08:19 »

This requires appropriate imagery for confirmation.

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2011, 09:27 »

I'd just say "+1" but Miz might think I should say more, so I'll say that I've greatly enjoyed RPing with you and reading your blog and being in the same corp.

Indeed. <3
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Laria Raven

• Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2011, 01:53 »

This requires appropriate imagery for confirmation.
As you wish:

Laria Raven

• Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2013, 10:45 »

So, I finally got around to updating Laria's bio. I've also C&P'd her bio from my blog.

Not every child of a family with a long tradition in a business revolts and strikes out in her own direction, pursuing her dreams. Even if that's what her family want her to do.

The Ravens have been miners for generations. First as part of the Rowan Mining Corporation, and then, for the last one hundred years, as an independant, the Raven Mining company.

Laria's parents wanted something better, or at least something other, for their only daughter. An actress, perhaps. Or a famous scientist or lawyer or politician. Anything but another miner, infatuated with the lucky strike, desperately seeking the mother lode.

Blood tells, though, and after having qualified for entrance to the University of Caille in secret, Laria set out as an independent miner herself, making her own way in the world she's been immersed in since childhood.

After a few months, her application was accepted by Eve University, where she studied, learnt and flew around with just a few dozen of her closest friends, until itchy feet and a sense of closure caused her to look around and move on.

Drawn to Re-Awakened Technologies Inc by a curious case of hero worship, she applied and was accepted. The year and a half that followed was more or less a happy one, despite the object of her hero worship not really being present. It was during her time with Re-Awakened that, after a meeting in a bar that a corp-mate was caretaking, she started dating the notorious (EDIT: EVIL DUMPING) pirate Vincent Pryce.

A short time later, her heart well and truly broken, she was single again.

After a year and a half in Re-Awakened, she struck out with a few others and helped form the corporation "Stormcrows", moving to Caldari space.

Although not a loyalist corp, over time, it became obvious to her and others that she wasn't the perfect fit there. She showed signs of boredom, including an ill-advised affair with (NAME REMOVED - TOO EMBARRASSING - LZR). It was in a chance encounter between her Stabber cruiser and his large gatecamp that Laria met with Vince again.

What he said to her, or showed her, is unknown, but in a shock move, Laria repudiated the empires and, leaving Stormcrows, joined the Angel Cartel loyalist corp Utopian Research Independent Experimental Laboratories (URIEL). Whatever she's doing there, it appears not to involve much time with rocks and strip mining lasers.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:29 »

:cube:

DeadRow

• Bit of a Dick
  • Omelette
  • Loyal to herself
« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:43 »

We have strip lasers, just not for asteroids ^.^

Who needs those clothes anyways?

[12:40:50] Kasuko Merin > He has this incredible talent for making posts at people that could be <i>literally</i> quoted straight back at him and still apply.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2013, 21:39 »

Good lord, I feel bad for the guy/girl she refused to mention for the sake of embarrassment.  I mean, admits to Vince, but not to you??  Ouch.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov