Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the expansion name "Incarna" was Stitcher's winning entry in an E-ON magazine competition?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: The anime thread  (Read 12091 times)

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
Re: The anime thread
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jul 2012, 19:31 »

On the topic of Evangelion, after having a hate/love relationship with it 10 years ago, I'm watching it all anew in the new, re-animated movie-length ones they're doing. I'm extremely impressed so far.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #46 on: 10 Jul 2012, 19:38 »

On the topic of Evangelion, after having a hate/love relationship with it 10 years ago, I'm watching it all anew in the new, re-animated movie-length ones they're doing. I'm extremely impressed so far.

Was going to suggest the re-build of Evangelion for Seri myself, but you beat me to it. Suffice to say Seri, if you enjoy the series, your likely going to enjoy this as well. Currently only two out of 3 or 4 parts are out, but I'm sure I read somewhere part 3 will be out in 2012 or early 2013.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2012, 19:57 »

Yeah, beat you to it Bloodbird, watched both :3c

Incidentally hated episode 25 and 26 (last two) of original NGE. Found myself skipping entire chunks just to see if anything happen. It literally came across as "Seriously, we have no money left. Like, nothing, not even joking". Liked End of Evangelion, though.

[spoiler]Episode 18 where the dummy plug in Unit 01 decimates Unit 03 and almost kills Toji stuck out to me as the most intense and gruesome scene I've ever witnesssed, and I absolutely loved it. Uncomfortable and splendid viewing[/spoiler]

I made the mistake of watching the last 10 episodes of NGE on one Sunday afternoon. Unsurprisingly, I spent the rest of that day and Monday feeling like my brain was violated.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #48 on: 03 Oct 2013, 17:08 »

REVIVE.

Since the last few posts was about Rebuild Evangelion...the third one was crap.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #49 on: 03 Oct 2013, 19:14 »

Booo. Berserker!Shinji was epic, I was hoping it would stay okay.

In other news, I have recently rediscovered the 08th MS Team, and am currently rather enjoying it. Liking the gritty 'everyman soldier' viewpoint, loving the realistic treatment of giant mechs - in a particular skirmish, one is taken out by a single guerrilla with an RPG attacking an open cockpit hatch; a second is destroyed by another mecha firing at a distance via forward observer, and a third is crippled through inventive use of cover and another RPG fired into thin underside armor. The guerrillas promptly get cocky and emerge into the open... at which point the mecha reasserts itself by firing several airburst fragmentation rounds and wiping them out.

Unfortunately, they couldn't avoid adding a few painful cliches (lovers across the battlefield, the uptight higher officer, etc).
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #50 on: 03 Oct 2013, 21:03 »

Haven't been watching as much anime as I used to or would like to lol, but did watch Dance in the Vampire Bund and thought it was really good. Also on a slightly weirder note Girls Und Panzer remindsme waaaaay to much of a bunch of girls playing World of Tanks yet its still pretty interesting for some reason.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #51 on: 03 Oct 2013, 22:12 »

Haven't been watching as much anime as I used to or would like to lol, but did watch Dance in the Vampire Bund and thought it was really good. Also on a slightly weirder note Girls Und Panzer remindsme waaaaay to much of a bunch of girls playing World of Tanks yet its still pretty interesting for some reason.

Girls und Panzer is essentially WOT: The Anime. The similarity is so uncanny that Wargaming.net actually collaborated with the studio that animated Girls und Panzer to market WOT in Japan.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2014, 13:38 »

I have started watching non-Ghibli anime for the first time ever.

So far, in the last week I have finished Sword Art Online and Btooom and started Ergo Proxy and Claymore.

Love it all ^_^

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2014, 14:16 »

I stumbled recently on Psycho-Pass, a dystopian anime that touches to a lot of new technology related stuff in a futuristic settings. Reminded me a lot of the themes set in Deus Ex and the likes. More than anything, everything is grey, and that alone is awesome.

Season 2 is finally planned starting the end of the year \o/

Added summary :

Psycho-Pass is set in 2113. The Sibyl System is actively measuring the populace's mental states, personalities, and the probability that individuals will commit crimes, using a "cymatic scan" of the brain. The resulting assessment is called a Psycho-Pass. When the probability of a person engaging in crimes measured by the Crime Coefficient index exceeds a certain level in an individual, he or she is pursued, apprehended, and killed if necessary.

Psycho-Pass explores societal and psychological themes, such as the price of living without stress. Since those who think of actions that might cause stress to others are quickly punished by the Sibyl System, the concept of punishing someone because they have the potential to do something considered wrong is explored.

Emotional repression is also explored in Psycho-Pass. The identification of latent criminals is partially based around the avoidance of emotions that society judges to be negative, such as sadness or anger. To avoid being identified as a latent criminal, one must not feel these emotions heavily outside, where their Psycho-Pass can be scanned.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2014, 03:45 by Lyn Farel »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2014, 22:14 »

They need a Girls und Spaceships anime based on Eve, where after two episodes they become bittervets.

Aldrith Shutaq

• Fleet Captain
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2014, 22:59 »

I have but one recommendation for everyone: a little-known anime called Gankutsuou. Little known not because it is of poor quality, but because it is a fine wine that only the elite are allowed to know about. Feast your eyes on some promo art for it:

http://static.zerochan.net/Gankutsuou.full.1476867.jpg
http://images.alphacoders.com/299/299503.jpg

The story is based on the Count of Monte Cristo just after the count arrives in Paris to exact his revenge. The main differences are that it is told from Albert's point of view rather than the counts, and is set in a sci-fi setting instead of Napoleonic France. The art style is shit-your-pants gorgeous, though it might take a little bit to get used to.

Classic story, sci-fi setting, glorious art, great music (done by a French guy instead of Moonspeakers), anime. How can you go wrong? Do be warned however, it's not action-packed, with intrigue and character relations taking the forefront.

Here's the first episode on YouTube! The whole thing is on there, but only in 480p, which is not really enough to fully enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrH7Z2It3RI
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2014, 23:42 by Aldrith Shutaq »

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #56 on: 11 Jun 2014, 00:16 »

They need a Girls und Spaceships anime based on Eve, where after two episodes they become bittervets.

Oh, nah. It should be about some carebear corp run by girls whose CEO wants to fight for Sov and forces one of the members, who is a bittervet who left the nullsec scene for personal reason, to FC.

And while trying to herd carebears to fly PVP fleets properly she will learn to drop the bittervet-ness and the corp will be exposed to Dastardy Metagame Tactics (for example being a corp-spy for a day) while still trying to figure out how to align for fleet warp.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Nissui

« Reply #57 on: 11 Jun 2014, 00:58 »

I pretty much gave up on anime after the 90s, but there are a couple from the past 15 years that I have liked.

RD 潜脳調査室

2061 AD. Fifty years have passed since mankind developed the Network society. It was anticipated that this new infrastructure would realize a utopia where people connected with each other at the level of consciousness. However, new social problems such as personal data leaks and proliferation of manipulated information began to surface. Nevertheless, people still relied on the Network to exchange information, and proved unable to opt to abandon it.

In due course, a new Network realm with more effective security measures was developed. This was called Meta Real Network, usually abbreviated as "the Metal."

The Metal accommodated personal memory data within protected virtual stand-alone organic cyber enclaves called bubble shells and eventually pervaded the everyday lives of people.

However, people gradually learned to release and explode their instincts within the secure environment of the Metal. The unleashed instincts pushed each individual's consciousness to drown in the sea of information and to be exposed to the pressures of desire. Meanwhile, norms and regulations continued to bind their real world lives. Thus, strange friction between the two worlds began to manifest themselves as aberrations beyond the bounds of the imaginable.

Experts who challenged the deep sea of the Metal to investigate and decipher such aberrations were called cyber divers.

This is a story of a cyber diver, Masamichi Haru, who investigates the incidents that lie between Reality and the Metal.

ΠΛΆΝΗΤΕΣ

The story of Planetes follows the crew of the DS-12 "Toy Box" of the Space Debris Section, a unit of Technora Corporation. Debris Section's purpose is to prevent the damage or destruction of satellites, space stations and spacecraft from collision with debris in Earth's and the Moon's orbits. They use a number of methods to dispose of the debris (mainly by burning it via atmospheric reentry or through salvage), accomplished through the use of EVA suits.

The episodes sometimes revolve around debris collection itself, but more often the concept of collecting "trash" in space is merely a storytelling method for building character development. The members of the Debris Section are looked down upon as the lowest members of the company and they must work hard to prove their worth to others and accomplish their dreams.

Ongoing plot elements include an upcoming exploratory mission to Jupiter on the new fusion powered ship, Von Braun, and the lead character's decision to join the mission, no matter the cost. Many other plot threads are also developed throughout the series that help to explain each character's motivations and personalities. The Space Defense Front is a terrorist organization that believes mankind is exploiting space without first curing global problems such as mass famine and the widened socio-economic divide on Earth.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #58 on: 11 Jun 2014, 03:35 »

Those two seem intriguing, i'll put them on my list :3

I have but one recommendation for everyone: a little-known anime called Gankutsuou. Little known not because it is of poor quality, but because it is a fine wine that only the elite are allowed to know about. Feast your eyes on some promo art for it:

http://static.zerochan.net/Gankutsuou.full.1476867.jpg
http://images.alphacoders.com/299/299503.jpg

The story is based on the Count of Monte Cristo just after the count arrives in Paris to exact his revenge. The main differences are that it is told from Albert's point of view rather than the counts, and is set in a sci-fi setting instead of Napoleonic France. The art style is shit-your-pants gorgeous, though it might take a little bit to get used to.

Classic story, sci-fi setting, glorious art, great music (done by a French guy instead of Moonspeakers), anime. How can you go wrong? Do be warned however, it's not action-packed, with intrigue and character relations taking the forefront.

Here's the first episode on YouTube! The whole thing is on there, but only in 480p, which is not really enough to fully enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrH7Z2It3RI

Ogawdowant.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #59 on: 17 Jun 2014, 10:30 »

Girls und Panzer is essentially WOT: The Anime. The similarity is so uncanny that Wargaming.net actually collaborated with the studio that animated Girls und Panzer to market WOT in Japan.

At least they know how to capitalize on a great opportunity when it presents itself.

... and now I feel like I should go watch the show. Damn it, I'm not done with Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood yet.  :bash:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6