Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Somebody take this offer up  (Read 2470 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Somebody take this offer up
« on: 25 Apr 2013, 06:50 »

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2928246&#post2928246

Somebody bite, otherwise I'll be red with embarrassment if nobody does. There is no super sekrit plan or omgrimdark ulterior motive. Elusenia is based off of those Mary Sue countries IRL, like Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden etc.

HOWEVER, even if there is no super sekrit plan yet, who knows what might develop from it?

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
Re: Somebody take this offer up
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2013, 07:48 »

Elusenia is based off of those Mary Sue countries IRL, like Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden etc.

I think you need to explain yourself unless you want people to get a very offensive reaction to your statement.

EDIT: Also you can start feeling embarrassed if no-one take up your offer in a week's time, let people get time to actually see your post first and consider the option for themselves.

« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2013, 07:53 by BloodBird »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2013, 08:16 »

He was giving those countries a complement.  Basically that they are so great that they must be viewed as Mary Sue since it's outside of reality for places with those high values, cultures, and high standard of living to exist in our reality.

Rhiannon

• Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:46 »

What's the TL;DR on that post so I know what you're talking about?

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:55 »

Pony Planet is a tax haven, so corporations should set up shop here.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:00 »

Tell us more about how Switzerland is an idyllic land of near-utopia. You have my rapt attention.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:04 »

Tell us more about how Switzerland is an idyllic land of near-utopia. You have my rapt attention.

Cheese with holes, and everyone goes skiing all the time.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2013, 11:13 »

He was giving those countries a complement.  Basically that they are so great that they must be viewed as Mary Sue since it's outside of reality for places with those high values, cultures, and high standard of living to exist in our reality.

Yes.

Yes.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2013, 14:22 »

Yes.

Yes.
What a touristy way to look at Switzerland.

Here's an experiment: Step 1: Be African/Eastern European/Indian. Step 2: Be lower middle class or poor. Step 3: Go to Switzerland. Step 4: Learn to hate the Swiss very quickly.

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2013, 14:24 »

Scandinavian countries are indeed tax havens. Any kind of tax is welcome in Scandinavia.  :D
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2013, 14:38 »

Scandinavian countries are indeed tax havens. Any kind of tax is welcome in Scandinavia.  :D

lol

But, in all seriousness, I think Seriphyn is more referring to the ease of doing business as compared to elsewhere.

Nordic Model

Now, given the above as reference, perhaps Scandinavia is not the actual model desired for Elusenian.  Perhaps pre-PRC Hong Kong is a more appropriate model.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2013, 15:37 »

My annoyance is the use of the term "mary sue" - it has a negative meaning to me as something being portrayed as "perfect" to the point where this supposed perfection in viewed as (and is) a flaw all in itself. As it was written I read it as "these countries think themselves far better than they actually are and appear in a negative way for it".

I did not and still don't like the implications of that.

Regardless, post noted. A bit sad I don't have anyone able to dump some assets on your nice little tax-haven Seri.  ;)

I would have liked to get involved, but I mechanically can't do it.  :(

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2013, 16:22 »

I must really account for the fact that "subtle satire" or facetiousness is not a cultural universal amongst English speakers, or maybe I shouldn't post things like that and expect everyone to get it :P I did not mean offense by referring to those countries as Mary Sue; but as Silas pointed out, yes, it was a compliment. And then as Creep alluded too, despite me referring to those nations as "Mary Sue", they still have problems. I'm sure Elusenia will have problems once things get going.

The Nordic model is a good reference point. Overall, it takes influence from Italian merchant republics, Dubai, and Scandinavian countries.

Incidentally, I've got one offer from a Caldari group. And yes, mechanically one cannot get involved. It is all fluff. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing; three years ago I did mechanistically-tied RP.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2013, 17:00 »

Someone PM me a crash course in wtf this planet stuff is all about.  Shitphone's web browser is shit.  Thx!

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Creep

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2013, 22:44 »

And then as Creep alluded too, despite me referring to those nations as "Mary Sue", they still have problems. I'm sure Elusenia will have problems once things get going.
I imagine so, particularly since you're modelling a brand-new society on three nations which have taken many, many centuries of evolving cultural and economic norms to get where they are today. The Scandinavian 'liberal paradises' and the Helvetic Confederation both have very deep cultural roots which kept them more socially liberal than their neighbors throughout the centuries. Norway/Sweden, during the conversion to Christianity, got very conservative socially, but the older traditions (which, for example, were a lot more gender-equal than the Christian doctrine was comfortable with) won out in the end. Switzerland was the liberal center of Europe many centuries before Paris got republican, largely because the Swiss had a socio-political disconnect from the more 'feudaly'-traditional HRE (as well as containing the cultural remnants of the mountain-tribes which had never really been totally Romanized). These things might not be obvious in the 12th or the 15th century, but as the European social norms progressed, the Nords and the Swiss led the charge because of these factors.

Their societies had a much stronger tradition of idealizing the concept of an egalitarian, anti-classist society. Political and social realities kept these ideals from being considered achievable or even a good idea. Over time, they wore down the hierarchical systems.
What you're proposing to do is set up a city with people from all over the Federation(the whole cluster, even?), tell everyone they're egalitarian and socially liberated, and nobody is better than anyone else. I give your population a year to work out amongst themselves who the elites and the least are.

...I've just realized that everytime I post, there's a history lesson included. Sorry about that, it's force of habit.
Pages: [1] 2