Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sleeper RP: Viable? [TEMPLAR ONE SPOILERS]  (Read 4406 times)

Lyn Farel

Re: Sleeper RP: Viable? [TEMPLAR ONE SPOILERS]
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:44 »

lol

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 18 Jan 2012, 08:50 »

While the enthusiasm to approach something new and dynamic is commendable, the sleepers are just a step too far for any char to reasonably RP.

I havnt read Templar One yet, but as far as I know, the Sleepers are still sleeping, which kind of knocks it on the head as far as RP goes.

Perhaps a sleeper researcher?

Heh. Heh. Heh.

We should post a 'spoilars' thread for templar one.

CCP needs to f'ing move the ingame, in character storyline though. -__-

Random Sentience

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jan 2012, 17:45 »

CCP needs to f'ing move the ingame, in character storyline though. -__-
I pointed out that very issue months ago. The response from Dropbear?

Quote from: CCP Dropbear, July 5th, 2011
This will be revisited again. Not only in novels but also ingame, and other places too I suspect. We are well past approval now. Things are going to happen quickly from here.

That (quite good) part about the meta aspects: As I've said earlier, we aware of the "gap" between player and character knowledge. Part of the next step is to close it.
Well, as of Templar One, that gap just got a whole hell of a lot bigger. For most people at least. This is perfectly fine from the standpoint of a novel that has no direct relation to an ongoing game. The problem is when you have an in-character, ongoing RP project like Arek'jaalan and simply give the answers that others are seeking. Not only that, but the novel pretty much stats that the most "knowledgeable" individuals in New Eden know even less than the players.

There is no believable way for characters to bridge that gap in a post-Templar One EVE Online, aside from some mysterious outside force giving information.

Slightly unrelated, but keeping with the theme of the thread:
Quote from: Nikilaiki Ruutarhara, 2009
You know, I always thought the Enhedduani were just an inside joke by the guys at CCP. I thought they were a symbol of the "Players", whereas the Jove were the "Developers".

Now, the Minmatar being controlled by the Jove isn't necessarily an "out there" theory. There are references to a certain statesman being abducted by the Jove, and returning "different".

Now, there are very *very* tenuous connections there, at most. Honestly, idle speculation aside, it really doesn't mean diddly squat in-game. In an RP sense, conspiracy theories are fine. They can even use OOC knowledge and still be played off as the "words of a madman".

That said, even given quotes Pottsey has used, I would say the Enhedduani have no connection to the "ancient" races, and are instead remnants of a pre-EVE gate society from the "other side" of the wormhole.

As to the "logic" behind the assumptions:

All uses of the term Elder are related?
All uses of the term Sleeper are related?
In that very same vain, an old story I wrote called "Apocrypha" that's on the forums must be related to the expansion coming out. 

No, it's not.

I was half-right, I guess.  ;)

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 24 Jan 2012, 14:59 »

How to roleplay as a Sleeper:

"Snzzzzzzzzzz... ssssnnzzzzzzzzrrrk... zzzzzzzzz..."
"Zzzzz... mmmnghtenmoreminutes... mmffppzzzzz"

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2012, 15:05 »

An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Random Sentience

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jan 2012, 15:48 »

Actually:

Senn wins. Though The Thirteenth Floor would have been a better reference for Sleepers.

/sip

tarunik

• Resident Wormhole Lord
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2012, 14:58 »

There's a play on that in the forum sig and corp titles of one of the Adhocrats, I can't remember his name to save my life though!

Daniel LSiata

• Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2012, 05:53 »

Was going along a related path with Daniel and a few other RTI peoples, but as has been stated, the gap between IC and OOC knowledge with Templar One is ridiculous and pretty much screwed all of us in the "Ancient Races Stuff" RP camp, even though some of our characters could viably know parts of it (In some cases, even quite a lot of it).

So, instead, dropped the Sleeper related plots in the main due to no real way of continuing them sensibly without Eva being around any more (Get back here right now if you're reading this young lady) and Templar One slapping people in the face. For now, stick to the "We Research This and Know Things" camp, because the few attempts at Sleeper or Drone RP have been....uhh...with mixed results. We'll see if taking this form of storyline becomes more viable in the future.
Pages: 1 [2]