Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Elsebeth, of clan Rhiannon, was born on Matar in the heartlands of Mikramurka continent in the year 81? Read her official biography here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP  (Read 8930 times)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: State of EVE RP - Visibility of RP
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jan 2015, 19:19 »

SOE aligned corp: Sisters of Eve eXpeditonary.
Intaki Liberation front seems active, not sure if they're syndicate aligned, though.
Also, there's this page on the eve-wiki, but it also lists some dead corps.

As for what roleplayers can do so there's more visible RP...I dunno...
Not attacking eachother with "they only post on IGS"?
Avoid saying that "You can't interact with that." when it's not true?
Stop implying that if it's not pew-pew/can't be shot, it's not good/meaningful RP?

Edit: Active Mordu Corp thread on this forum.
CONCORD: Drengist Intergalactic Liberal Enterprises Ltd.[D.I.L.E.L]
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2015, 19:31 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Anskek

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jan 2015, 20:27 »

SOE aligned corp: Sisters of Eve eXpeditonary.
Intaki Liberation front seems active, not sure if they're syndicate aligned, though.
Also, there's this page on the eve-wiki, but it also lists some dead corps.

Stop implying that if it's not pew-pew/can't be shot, it's not good/meaningful RP?

Edit: Active Mordu Corp thread on this forum.
CONCORD: Drengist Intergalactic Liberal Enterprises Ltd.[D.I.L.E.L]

All of my fucking this.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:18 »

There are, of course, two sides to this tale. RP that involves and creates content that other players can ACTUALLY interact with and leads to undockings is much, much, more meaningful to the wider community than RP that occurs between pre-invited participants in private comms channels.

For example, when Morwen ran that Caldari Prime charity, some people donated iskies and some people flew freighters and indies full of needed supplies to the various stations and contracted them to her. It should be obvious how this is superior to shiptoasting on the IGS, in terms of involvement (anyone who can donate ISK or run supplies can participate in a meaningful way).

That said, channel RP is certainly NOT doinitwrong. There is definitely a place for it and it can be a great deal of fun - IMO it just shouldn't be used as the sole place to RP things that ought to have an In Space component - such as colonies, fleets etc.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #18 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:20 »

What Pieter said.

Anskek

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jan 2015, 11:45 »

There are, of course, two sides to this tale. RP that involves and creates content that other players can ACTUALLY interact with and leads to undockings is much, much, more meaningful to the wider community than RP that occurs between pre-invited participants in private comms channels.

For example, when Morwen ran that Caldari Prime charity, some people donated iskies and some people flew freighters and indies full of needed supplies to the various stations and contracted them to her. It should be obvious how this is superior to shiptoasting on the IGS, in terms of involvement (anyone who can donate ISK or run supplies can participate in a meaningful way).

That said, channel RP is certainly NOT doinitwrong. There is definitely a place for it and it can be a great deal of fun - IMO it just shouldn't be used as the sole place to RP things that ought to have an In Space component - such as colonies, fleets etc.

Of all the people who'd agree with you in a split second, you know I'd be right there with you Pieter. However, I personally just don't buy into every RP arc or story or ...whatever NEEDING to have an in-space component. You were involved in a lot of my arcs and such. They didn't have a space component at all. But they were fun, engaging, emotional, and added what people told me was good content.

Now if someone's saying like.. 'hurr i shall dunk ze [insert bad guise here],' and does nothing but post about how they're gonna get them grr....then..yeaaa....

Even for like, rescue events, like when we all went over Caldari Prime right before the titan event, that needed a space component to really make it shine. And it did. And it was gud. So gud.

But not every RP story ought to have a space component, imho. Not every tale is told with the roar of a thruster and the thunder of a gun.

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:09 »

Of all the people who'd agree with you in a split second, you know I'd be right there with you Pieter. However, I personally just don't buy into every RP arc or story or ...whatever NEEDING to have an in-space component. You were involved in a lot of my arcs and such. They didn't have a space component at all. But they were fun, engaging, emotional, and added what people told me was good content.

Now if someone's saying like.. 'hurr i shall dunk ze [insert bad guise here],' and does nothing but post about how they're gonna get them grr....then..yeaaa....

Even for like, rescue events, like when we all went over Caldari Prime right before the titan event, that needed a space component to really make it shine. And it did. And it was gud. So gud.

But not every RP story ought to have a space component, imho. Not every tale is told with the roar of a thruster and the thunder of a gun.

That's not what Pieter is saying. He's saying that in order for it to be relevant to the larger community, it should contain an in-space element. And by the wider community he means that the community outside of Backstage. The RPers and almost RPers that we don't interact with on a regular basis. The ones that can bolster this community and make it bigger and stronger.

Edit: fixed quote tag out of sensitivity to Morwen's OCD.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2015, 12:20 by Jennifer Starfall »

Anskek

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:13 »

Ooooooh ok when you put it that way, that makes more sense. Something they can easily just jump right into without having to channel lurk. OK I can agree on that. I still hold it isn't the only way to do it, but it's definitely a strong and accessible one.

Shal Novastorm

• Wetgraver
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:32 »

Totally agree with Pieter. There's nothing wrong with channels and staying docked and all, but you can't expect that to have any impact on communities other than the ones in the channel already.

Anskek

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2015, 12:50 »

Wonder how a goal oriented NPSI RP fleet would go? It could focus on expeditions and fighting sleepers or some such? Like a reinvigoration of Fleet Coordination or a more active, strat op focused part of AJ?

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2015, 13:24 »

* Ember Vykos jumps on the 'agree with Pieter' wagon

A big NPSI RP fleet would be fun, but it wont be inclusive to all due to factions loyalties and such.
That said...two big RP fleets gunning for each other...will never happen but if it did...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Anskek

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:11 »

I mean with all this ~spooky~ Sleeper and possible Talocan stuff going down, gives people something to shoot at? Maybe?

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:20 »

Yeah, a lot of the RP I do is in private and very limited in scope and audience. I'm not saying that's wrong - but whilst I might RP dinner with the family or movie night with Samipants or drinking with Anskek most in-space RP gets done in-space.

And that's good. That's great.

But, I totally get what Anslo is cagey about. I'm not claiming there's any way to RP that is the 'right' way to RP, I'm just saying that unless RP is truly open and consensual, it doesn't really seem relevant to the greater community.

Anskek

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:22 »

movie night with Samipants.

I'M TELLING DES.

But you're right. Like...maybe paper and pen style with a dice to roll for actions but let's be real that'd get abused.

YOU ROLLED AN 18
NO I DIDNT
YES I DID
NU UH BUTT HEAD
YA HUH PENIS EARS

etc etc etc.

TBH just need a common enemy. Give the people that, and ye shall findeth thine RP group flourishing.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:36 »

Think you might find it hard to unite everyone against any common enemy when not even the Sansha pulled that off. For some of us, the Empire/Federation/State/Republic/Guris/Angels/Whatever is a greater enemy than some wooOooOooOOOoOOooo space magic hurrdrones from whereveristan, w-space.

It's the way of the sandbox. You'll never have unity and that's an absolutely fantastic thing because it'd be boring as all fuck.

* Ember Vykos jumps on the 'agree with Pieter' wagon

A big NPSI RP fleet would be fun, but it wont be inclusive to all due to factions loyalties and such.
That said...two big RP fleets gunning for each other...will never happen but if it did...

... oh, don't strike down your hopes just yet. Disclaimer: Don't get them up either. There are very minor ideas aired in very minor circles, that's all.

Anyway Anslo, on the subject of non-engageable. There is a lot of it out there, even if you don't agree with that. Most of it doesn't even come to the attention of people who might engage, due to private channels etc etc. Some of it is not engageable due a simple thing called being IC. An Amarrian Holder burning Blooders alive might be a fun event and all, but it's not exactly something that'd be engageable for a lot of people due to either a distaste for that kind of thing or because their characters would have to do/say things that'd just make it a bloody dramafest and ruin the whole thing.

Same reason I can't have Miz go to the LockStockWhatever place. Some guests there have been known to say/do things that'd flat out require the removal of their larynx with a shattered whiskey glass, and that's just drama that shouldn't happen.

There are a lot of stumbling blocks to get past for a lot of RP, which makes it unengageable in some cases.

Anskek

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2015, 15:42 »

Think you might find it hard to unite everyone against any common enemy when not even the Sansha pulled that off. For some of us, the Empire/Federation/State/Republic/Guris/Angels/Whatever is a greater enemy than some wooOooOooOOOoOOooo space magic hurrdrones from whereveristan, w-space. It's the way of the sandbox. You'll never have unity and that's an absolutely fantastic thing because it'd be boring as all fuck. 
Sleepers and Talocan. That's cool. If someone people don't want to come they don't have to. But letting IC ~rules~ prevent you (not YOU, just you in general) from having fun? Fuck dat noise imo.

Anyway Anslo, on the subject of non-engageable. There is a lot of it out there, even if you don't agree with that. Most of it doesn't even come to the attention of people who might engage, due to private channels etc etc. Some of it is not engageable due a simple thing called being IC. An Amarrian Holder burning Blooders alive might be a fun event and all, but it's not exactly something that'd be engageable for a lot of people due to either a distaste for that kind of thing or because their characters would have to do/say things that'd just make it a bloody dramafest and ruin the whole thing.
I get that. But thos-engagsome extreme examples. There are always non-engageable themes for RP for everyone to get involved in too. There is always a solution \o/

Same reason I can't have Miz go to the LockStockWhatever place. Some guests there have been known to say/do things that'd flat out require the removal of their larynx with a shattered whiskey glass, and that's just drama that shouldn't happen.
Again, that's fine. I fully realize that this is the case for some peeps and I'm not saying to change it. I guess my audience for this idea is more for RPers outside this community, be them new or old, so that they see they aren't alone.

There are a lot of stumbling blocks to get past for a lot of RP, which makes it unengageable in some cases.
Good thing I got a lot of jack hammers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4