Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Defiants were a splinter group of the Minmatar fleet that waged guerrilla war against the Amarr?

Author Topic: IC/OOC Divide  (Read 1140 times)

Eran Mintor

• Clonejack
IC/OOC Divide
« on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:21 »

Unfortunately Silver Night decided to lock the thread before I could post my very thoughtful post on IC/OOC divide. I have already sent him a message asking why the mods are so scared of discussion, but I would like to hear what people's boundaries are between IC and OOC as this has come up (apparantly not for the first time).

I will start.

If someone says it's OOC knowledge, you are not to use it in RP without explicit permission. Otherwise, if someone RP's or plays a certain character in a corp, etc., it's IC knowledge.

(I think the last thread was very civil, and it is very disheartening to see it locked before it even became a "flame-fest". As you can see, I don't post here much, just like I don't post on Chatsubo much, and you have just reinforced my desire to stay away from these forums further. If you cannot have a civil discussion, what are forums for? I had a lot of good points to say, but as the thread was locked, the post was lost in addition. My main point is this - I had hoped RPers had become less elitist and more open, allowing newbies into the RP community to test things out. If you restrict talking about RP this much, I don't see anyone joining the RP community - I'd rather just PVP and laugh at the "RPers".

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
Re: IC/OOC Divide
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:28 »

To be fair Eran. You were not using civil language. I don't believe its possible to accuse another player of hypocrisy, meta-gaming and literally "cheating" on the issue of the ic/divide and fair response in a civil tone.

I controlled my temper in replying on the issue.

But be assured I found your tone and language quite offensive in many places.

I am very happy to have a genuinely civil discussion of this issue but it requires that all involved leave their preconceptions and animosity at the door and accept from the outset that nobody gets to unilaterally define the boundaries of ic/ooc play and accuse others of being "bad rp'ers" because of differences in approach.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Eran Mintor

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:33 »

That is fair, but my main issue was actually with the mod.

As long as this thread is open, I'd like you to explain to me why using OOC knowledge is fair game (beyond citing a poll in the forums), and I'd also like to hear your thoughts on using OOC knowledge IC. I tried to stay civil, and I'm sorry that my "tone" didn't go well with you (though you must understand this is text and not talk, so tone is difficult to broadcast and open to interpretation). If you think I called you a bad RPer, I may have, but it was reference to using OOC info for RP purposes.

Please change my mind on such issues, and I will apologize. You have my word.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:37 »

[mod]Discussion of moderator actions is for the Moderation Discussion forum.[/mod]
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2010, 09:37 »

[mod]Eran: There is a moderation discussion section for discussing moderation. While we're here, though: Discussion is fine. Insulting other players or saying their 'RP is wrong' is not.Jade: If you think a post violates the guidelines, hit the report button, don't reply.I would like to remind everyone that if you can't stay within the guidelines, don't hit the post button.If people from these two threads continue breaking the guidelines, formal warnings will be handed out.[/mod]