Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That KillJoy Tseng's first season racing rifter later sold for 75 million ISK?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: NPC intelligence services  (Read 2106 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
NPC intelligence services
« on: 31 May 2011, 12:33 »

So I'm doing some research on NPC intelligence services. Two of the four "racial nations" make it easy: the Minmatar have the Republic Security Services, and the Gallente have the Federal Intelligence Office.

However, should I presume that the Caldari megacorps each have their own? And does the Ministry of Internal Order serve the same function for the Amarr Empire?

Kybernetes Moros

Re: NPC intelligence services
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2011, 13:00 »

I was under the impression that the MIO could be considered an Imperial analogue, yeah, going off the corporate description. As for the Caldari, I can imagine that internal megacorporate folks would work in tandem with the House of Records, to some extent, but it's not my strong suit; someone'll likely come along and prove that supposition wrong. :p

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2011, 13:11 »

For the Amarr Empire, then:

The Ministry of Internal Order appears to deal with malcontents of both foreign and domestic origin.

The Theology Council have their own agents, for dealing with heretics.

Both of those seem like they'd be restricted to within the Empire's borders.

There'd also be the Ministry Of War and the Amarr Navy who would have agents operating outside the Empire.

Several Amarr entities appear to have various "monitoring" roles as well, e.g. Amarr Trade Registry, Ministry of Assessment, etc. Hmm.

Different styles too, I'd think.

MIO seems more of what would be recognisable as police/law enforcement/homeland security type organisation.

Theology council is more "Theology Council business, go back to your drinks."

Amarr Trade Registry is a bit "Treasury Agent! Nobody Move! This is a raid!"
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2011, 13:23 »

So the Amarr Empire doesn't have a (known) clandestine service? Hmm.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2011, 13:31 »

There's the Speakers Of Truth too.

They have "Wanderers". Who do... stuff...
\o/

Usagi Tsukino

• Wetgraver
  • Fail RPer; Doing It Wrong.
    • Usagi's Seldom Updated Twitter Account
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2011, 13:39 »

I think it would be reasonable to believe that the megacorps would have their own 'internal security' divisions (that would likely do corporate espionage). I do wonder though if they would engage in foreign espionage on their own, or coordinate through perhaps a 'Defense Intelligence Agency/CIA' type division of the Caldari Navy to avoid stepping on each others toes and to ensure efficiency.

Stimulus :: Multispectacular
<3 Gurista raised, Caldari Navy trained, Bacchanalian alt. <3
Chaotic Dreams | An IC Blog Experiment

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2011, 14:20 »

The ISHAEKA reports mentioned that the joint intelligence services was from FIO, Rss, and Caldari Navy intelligence and amarr navy intelligence.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2011, 15:01 »

Interesting, because I've always conceived of military intelligence and analysis as quite a different thing than covert and clandestine operations. Maybe that's just RL speaking too loud in my ear, as the distinction in the US is quite significant.

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 16:00 »

The closest to Amarr clandestine intelligence I can think of seems to be the Speakers of Truth.

They're more along the lines of limitless arbiters, but my impression is their order has a lot of fingers in shady looking pies.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Lydia Tishal

• Wetgraver
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 16:01 »

I think the Corporate Police Force (Hyasyoda) fits the description.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Corporate_Police_Force_%28NPC_corporation%29

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 17:23 »

I've always considered the Ministry of Internal Order to be something akin to the FBI or MI5 - primarily focused on internal matters, such as quashing larger-scale uprisings or keeping tabs on any heretical cults/groups. The Amarr simply may not have a "foreign intelligence" agency (or if they do, it may be quite new) as up until a mere few hundred years ago, "intelligence" didn't much figure into the Empire's foreign policy beyond finding out where the next target for reclaiming was. The idea you might have to step back and actually watch the heathens instead of just pewing them is probably still being gotten used to, and small intelligence departments might have been attached to the Navy ("Where are the Defiants hiding today...?"), Trade Registry ("Now let's see what these corporate parts orders suggest the State is building the most of.") and as has been said, the Speakers of Truth.

It's also highly likely that each of the royal houses has its own intelligence department, specializing in things relating to their bit of space in the Empire; with the near-complete control each heir excersizes over their territory, it seems unlikely they'd simply leave out intelligence-gathering, internal or external.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 17:34 »

I like to think that because the Federation is not a militaristic society unless in total war mode, it must rely heavily on intelligence (and by extension, special forces) for solvency, as a peacetime armed force has proven hard to keep up with defence requirements. That, along with having the greatest spread of worldwide influence and many other reasons, is likely why the Gallente have the intelligence crown.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jun 2011, 03:26 »

I would assume that intelligence, as we understand it, would be the domain of MIO for Amarr. A bit like the British intelligence services partially developed from their colonial secret police kind organizations. Military-type intelligence (and recon/exploration in non-colonized etc.) belongs to the Imperial Navy. So MIO agents fooling around in W-space is not military ("this system now belongs to the Empire"), but intelligence ops.

For Caldari, the CPF is a counterintelligence expert (MI5 etc.). I'd assume that Ishukone Watch, with its assume high-tech focus, would be pretty good at intelligence gathering, though they don't (didn't) have an intelligence division, only surveillance.

For reference, the following corporations had an intelligence division before the patch, along with their faction, main activities and intelligence division leaders:
Brutor Tribe (Minmatar Political, lead by Kalifljasmur Eindremirek)
CONCORD (CONCORD Political/Military, lead by Kilkkuken Mallen)
Caldari Business Tribunal (Caldari Legal/Bureaucratic, lead by Oksuken Seriya)
DED (CONCORD Military, lead by Banniskore Zabulugi)
Dominations (Angel Military, lead by Tobias Kruzhor)
Federal Intelligence Office (Gallente Military, lead by Essinan Corlobault)
House of Records (Caldari Bureaucratic, lead by Tsurkuma Koruda)
Inner Circle (CONCORD Legal, lead by Tatoh Okkamon)
Jovian Directorate (Jove Political, lead(?) by Nadsa Zimse)
Kaalakiota (Caldari Manufacture/Hi-tech, lead by Paakadan Uotadan)
Krusual Tribe (Minmatar Political, lead by Esbrike Adleine)
Mercantile Club (Caldari Political, lead by Anken Aronainen)
Quafe Company (Gallente Manufacture/Retail, lead by Adrebelle Jaredaille)
Republic Justice Department (Minmatar Legal, lead by Wallekon Kortadaken)
Republic Security Services (Minmatar Military, lead by Bjongausen Agnake)
Sebiestor Tribe (Minmatar Political, lead by Eirulf Vagaldi)
Serpentis Inquest (Serpentis Biotech, lead by Onlar Skadidsar)
Sukuuvestaa Corporation (Caldari Construction/Manufacture, lead by Kasata Kuulemonmaa)
The Scope (Gallente Entertainment, lead by Chalenet Plarrovon)
Theology Council (Amarr Legal, lead by Acol Yarwema)
Vherokior Tribe (Minmatar Political, lead by Oddesulf Keriget)

Factional share (corps with intelligence division / total):
Amarr 1 / 27 (+ 4 Mandate)
Angel 1 / 4
Caldari 5 / 48 (notably KK and SuVee)
CONCORD 3 / 4 (SCC is the CONCORD corp without an intelligence division)
Gallente 3 / 32
Jove 1 / 9 (but possibly the best intelligence division out there)
Minmatar 6 / 21 (note - all original Republican tribes had the intelligence division. Nefantar, Starkmanir and the two Thukker corps not included in number)
Serpentis 1 / 2

Notable missing factions: We know that SOCT and SOE do also do shady stuff. The Syndicate likely as well, and Guristas are also "in the know" of things.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jun 2011, 12:16 »

Having a look at some of the old agents databases, some things appear that may be of interest:

The Ministry of Internal Order and the Theology Council had a lot of agents in the "Intelligence" division.

The Ministry of War and the Amarr Navy had a lot of agents in the "Surveillance" division.

\o/

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 Jun 2011, 17:58 »

Alright, Evelopedia has updated a bit so my post above isn't necessarily accurate. Some articles have been updated to the new divisions, some (most) still show the old ones.
Pages: [1] 2