Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "gods and spirits" is a popular Achura and Minmatar expression of disbelief?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: multiple cloning, backup cloning, and other clone related information  (Read 20177 times)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

Anyanka <3

Ember Vykos

• Not so bitter bitter fucking vet...
  • Pod Captain
  • I bring nothing to the table.

Your right to RP a Vampire Lesbian Spacedragon Princess Demigod ends where my ability to take you seriously begins.

In other words, you can RP however you like but unless it's supported by objective things like CCP Lore, I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute it with my own.

You sir, just won the thread.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Current active RP character(s) - Kairelle
Past RP characters - Ember Vykos, Simca Develon

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette

IMO, if anyone for some reason wants to roleplay a vampire princess and can find someone else to go along with it, they should go nuts.

I mean. I'd question why they'd do it in a sci-fi game, but.

Veiki

• Egger

Reminds me of back in the day when a few people did this whole, "We're actually Cylons who got sucked through a wormhole and ended up in New Eden."

Looking back, I am saddened at the potential lost. I can only imagine what could have been now with Cylon-Sansha crossover fanfiction. Oh, that Double Toaster Rainbow.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile

Reminds me of back in the day when a few people did this whole, "We're actually Cylons who got sucked through a wormhole and ended up in New Eden."

Looking back, I am saddened at the potential lost. I can only imagine what could have been now with Cylon-Sansha crossover fanfiction. Oh, that Double Toaster Rainbow.

Kinda ironic given in the terms of new BSG every player character in New Eden is a Cylon.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK

Kinda ironic given in the terms of new BSG every player character in New Eden is a Cylon.

Reminds me of how I'm always the only human (and sane man) in any party in any RPG sessions I attended IRL.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

Treat it as you do real life. Saede says she has multiple clones, you don't believe her. Fine.
The express says eating grapes stops you from losing your memory. I'm not about to start eating grapes religiously.
Concord isn't omnipotent because if they were they'd tell everyone to calm the fuck down.
So the only reasonable thing to do is accept that things happen outside of their purview and they're basically just trying to slap  a "Band-Aid" on things and do what they can.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

The whole "Concord ain't all that" argument kinda falls flat if you ever try and do anything in High Sec. Or Low Sec. Or Null.

When you bear in mind that all the Null powerblocs are essentially Concord's renters and that major players have LITERALLY fallen because they didn't pay Daddy his rent, the idea that people could swan around in contravening literally the only rule they take seriously is a bit... ...silly.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

That represents their response times on their fleet. Enacting a law and enforcing it aren't the same thing.
Shoot someone in the city center, people will show up. Steal money or deal drugs and the police don't show up on your doorstep the next day
Shades of grey Pieter

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

If the Gewns don't pay their Sov bill then their Empire gets shut the hell down. That instant. No fleets that the Gewns can defend against will move in to enact Concords will. No cease and desist letters will be sent.

Likewise, if Mittens doesn't pay his license fee, he loses the ability to fly a capsule ship. That instant. They won't send enforcers to destroy his ship if he undocks while unlicensed.

I get that some of this is game mechanics, but since truly enormous alliances have been shut down this way, and since the rules are that anything that happens in space is IC....

One has to assume that they can REALLY detect when you're flying ships in multiple clones. And shut you down. If you use multiple accounts to create similar clones and fly ships concurrently that way, well, the IC/OOC explanation would have to be that these are different individuals who have been modified to share a group mind. It's not like the Unit peeps and Sansha peeps don't do this to some extent already, is it?

One has to ask what the difference is between the State creating 100 versions of one certain Pieter Tuulinen from exactly the same genetic legacy and Saede creating 100 versions of herself in the same way? Those 100 versions of Pieter all had individual minds and personalities, even if they were genetically indistinct from each other. The different versions of Saede would have divergent personalities too - even if they were based on the same mindset copy, they would diverge from the moment they were quickened, unless they were resynchronised by some central facility.

All of which is creepy, but not illegal.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 10:26 by Pieter Tuulinen »

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

If the goons don't pay their sov bill, then the assumption is that a switch is flicked on a piece of software that deactivates everything they've been paying for. As we can't build stargates etc and make them function in game without CCPs permission you have to assume there's some complexity that requires them to be hooked into the neocom etc network, which is where concord oversight and fees come in.
The assumption that all cloning facilities are in concords hands and that it's impossible for an independent third party to clone somebody and change them sufficiently to ensure whatever monitoring software Concord has doesn't pick up on it is a pretty naive view.
Concord has areas of juristiction. If you're outside of them then you can do whatever you like, essentially. To shut Saede down they'd probably need reasonable proof and access to whatever facilities she uses to make her clones. You pilots licence isn't your permission to be a capsuleer it's your permission to use docking facilities and the neocom network. They're not shutting you down, they're shutting down your access. If you can't access the neocom and you can't undock then you can't do anything. You've not lost the ability to fly a capsule ship, there's no way they'd have that kind of control, but if you're behind on your fees scotty the docking manager is told not to let you undock. The reason pirate stations go along with this is presumably because of subsidies from the licence fee, etc etc etc

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

If we're going down this road,

then anything you say via your NeoComm is routing through CONCORD, as well as anything you do via capsule.  That's how CONCORD knows when to show up, because you use your weapons and the weapon activation is connected via fluid router to CONCORD HQ.

If you said "I have multiple active clones" to anyone over neocomm then your puppet strings would be snipped.

The whole logic of the thing is bad on all sides for so many reasons not worth getting into.

Halcyon

• Queen of Chocolate
  • Egger
  • Bewbs

My point is simply that concord lack omnipotence. There are loopholes etc.

Lyn Farel

If the Gewns don't pay their Sov bill then their Empire gets shut the hell down. That instant. No fleets that the Gewns can defend against will move in to enact Concords will. No cease and desist letters will be sent.

Likewise, if Mittens doesn't pay his license fee, he loses the ability to fly a capsule ship. That instant. They won't send enforcers to destroy his ship if he undocks while unlicensed.

I get that some of this is game mechanics, but since truly enormous alliances have been shut down this way, and since the rules are that anything that happens in space is IC....

One has to assume that they can REALLY detect when you're flying ships in multiple clones. And shut you down. If you use multiple accounts to create similar clones and fly ships concurrently that way, well, the IC/OOC explanation would have to be that these are different individuals who have been modified to share a group mind. It's not like the Unit peeps and Sansha peeps don't do this to some extent already, is it?

One has to ask what the difference is between the State creating 100 versions of one certain Pieter Tuulinen from exactly the same genetic legacy and Saede creating 100 versions of herself in the same way? Those 100 versions of Pieter all had individual minds and personalities, even if they were genetically indistinct from each other. The different versions of Saede would have divergent personalities too - even if they were based on the same mindset copy, they would diverge from the moment they were quickened, unless they were resynchronised by some central facility.

All of which is creepy, but not illegal.

From what I understood it is precisely what is totally illegal in CONCORD PF. Unless it has changed and stated otherwise in Source or whatever ( :roll: ), it was stated that you have to die when cloning, disallowing the very idea of several copies of yourself running everywhere. They indeed change and become someone more and more different the very moment they are created, but that's not the point. It is forbidden for your old you not to die before cloning. vOv

I don't remember if it concerns only capsule capable pilots or everyone in general.

Lyn Farel

If the goons don't pay their sov bill, then the assumption is that a switch is flicked on a piece of software that deactivates everything they've been paying for. As we can't build stargates etc and make them function in game without CCPs permission you have to assume there's some complexity that requires them to be hooked into the neocom etc network, which is where concord oversight and fees come in.
The assumption that all cloning facilities are in concords hands and that it's impossible for an independent third party to clone somebody and change them sufficiently to ensure whatever monitoring software Concord has doesn't pick up on it is a pretty naive view.
Concord has areas of juristiction. If you're outside of them then you can do whatever you like, essentially. To shut Saede down they'd probably need reasonable proof and access to whatever facilities she uses to make her clones. You pilots licence isn't your permission to be a capsuleer it's your permission to use docking facilities and the neocom network. They're not shutting you down, they're shutting down your access. If you can't access the neocom and you can't undock then you can't do anything. You've not lost the ability to fly a capsule ship, there's no way they'd have that kind of control, but if you're behind on your fees scotty the docking manager is told not to let you undock. The reason pirate stations go along with this is presumably because of subsidies from the licence fee, etc etc etc

We know that every pirate faction has its own cloning networks, of course. The same way each empire has its own. For independent capsuleers, aka ourselves, it's regulated by CONCORD...

The only reason that they do not cut short Saede licence is that they probably do not take her seriously ?
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2015, 13:58 by Lyn Farel »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13