Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That PIE has been at war with enemies of the empire ever since its foundation?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Your opinions on the appropriateness of this gesture, please.  (Read 15284 times)

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew

We'll still have chat channels in Incarna, though the existence of "actual IC physical venues" may drop their popularity. It doesn't have to be a killer blow, though. It may be that Incarna interaction isn't fluid enough for some RPers, anyway. No way to lean this way, lean that way, gesture there, etc. That said, it works for lots of people in other MMOs.

Though there's a lot to be said for coming on location via holo and being able to attend various meetings quite casually, I still like what Incarna (potentially) does to RP. Just like Eve PvP is pretty hardcore, Incarna will do the same for RP. You want to get over there and RP? You gotta haul ass and potentially brave the dangers of getting into the target location. Outlaws will have to risk podding to get to high-sec locations. Yes, all of it will very likely lessen participation in random events, but just as long distances to travel for trade created trade hubs, RP hubs will spawn. Jump clones will allow quick attendance in many cases. In three years time, we'll be arguing about whether the RP hubs are destroying the RP community as usual.

Incarna may well hurt "bar" RP, but most of the set-piece events (such as the various cermonies in Amarr or the recent CVA inauguration) that I've been involved in have seen most of the attendees travel to the venue

Lyn Farel

Well thats an idea I have had for a while now but I think we should really ask CCP to enable VR in Incarna...

It's already been asked several times.

Good to know.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Hm, this "Having your cake and eating it" thing re: Sansha RPers might just be at "crisis levels".

Are there any bars that actually have Sansha characters banned?

Kaleigh Doyle

I have to say its convenient having a pro-Sansha character with absolutely no interest lounging around in a bar. It makes the possibility of being banned a non-issue for me. :P

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain

Public, advertised bars? I don't know.

Private ones? There are bars where they would not be welcome, and would most likely be banned if they showed up.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

Keep this up and I'll start going off about the tavern trope in RPGs. ;)

Kazuma Ry

• Cardinal Lieutenant
  • Wetgraver
  • Enlightening a Slave near you

Keep this up and I'll start going off about the tavern trope in RPGs. ;)

This Tavern Trope intrigues me, tell me more.
"White as the falling snow. Black as our Citadels burned against the sky."

"Faith gained through knowledge and knowledge gained through Faith. In service to God, do we find the answers"

Laerise [PIE]

• Definetly not a Khanid !
  • Pod Captain
  • TANKRED ENDURES
    • PIE Forums

Public, advertised bars? I don't know.

Private ones? There are bars where they would not be welcome, and would most likely be banned if they showed up.

Paradise Found is not a bar, but Sanshas are either banned from there already, or will be banned when spotted. No Sanshas in an amarrian club  ;)

Seriphyn

• Demigod

It goes back to the question of immersion and RP consequences first brought up by Mizhara.

As roleplaying a Federation officer, I accept all the RP consequences that come from that. He will be seen as an enemy by the Caldari, either seen as another Gallentean heathen by Amarrians (or possibly cooly welcomed, ie. Fed/Empire relations). From the Minmatar, despite their benchmark alliance, he may be seen as another self-important Gallentean.

Walking into "neutral" bars, I and himself are both prepared to receive flak. That is the consequences of his chosen career path (well, "chosen" is arguable).

However, we've got Sansha characters waltzing around everywhere, befriending supposedly anti-Nation people, partying in bars, drinking with them, and generally being more socially accepted.

Whaaat? I'm fine with mine and Seri's position, but having the black faction of the cluster be welcomed moreso than a Gallentean is a massive :bash:

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain

Whaaat? I'm fine with mine and Seri's position, but having the black faction of the cluster be welcomed moreso than a Gallentean is a massive :bash:

That assumes all characters share your/ your character's opinions about the politics of the Cluster and the various factions.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Seriphyn

• Demigod

True. I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that perhaps people don't want themselves or their characters to appear as unlikable.

OOC immersion issues aside, IC, it's a different matter. There is no reason for Seri to tolerate "fraternization", and there's plenty of reasons to make a fuss about it.

Jev North

Mh, yes. There's presumably reasons for the (relative) popularity of the Sansha-affiliated characters. If it annoys you, trying to find them and dissecting them will probably be more constructive than just plain expressing frustration. It takes a lot of schwung to change people's minds by sheer force of will, otherwise.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

To be fair, Seriphyn does make sense. As far as PF and CCPs portrayal of things go, the way the Nation supporters are more welcomed and coddled all over the cluster than others fly straight in the face of what CCP has provided.

It's back to convenience, I feel. It's just convenient to completely disregard realism and invent far-fetched reasons for not having anyone pay the price/face the consequences of their actions. It's honestly very sad to see this go this way, because this philosophy makes almost all RP gravitate into tiny private areas where people can avoid rubbing shoulders with deadly enemies or into a very few large public venues where everyone rubs shoulders with everyone without even a hint of the inter-faction hostility at play.

Those who don't feel like hammering at the fourth wall with a sledgehammer just to get RP - any RP, with anyone or anything, no questions asked - thus get pretty much blocked from getting any RP since it's just easier to disregard realism and consequences.

I'm wholly convinced that there'd be a far more vibrant and wide-spread RP, across more themes and more stories, with more meaningful interaction if this policy of 'we don't care about what you've done, just come play in our channels!' wasn't there. It'd mean people would create more RP elsewhere, instead of just hitching onto the same old drinkin' in the same old bars. More RP locations, and the choices between some shoulder-rubbing and some more faction specific RP without the automatic intrusion of deadly enemies in it.

There's a tangent here about how this philosophy also kills off some of the less neutral RP by creating these black holes where no non-neutral RP can escape from, but that's another topic altogether.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

When WoD releases, folks who play Sabbat and those who play Sansha in EVE will have a great deal  to teach one another.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Lyn Farel

To be fair, Seriphyn does make sense. As far as PF and CCPs portrayal of things go, the way the Nation supporters are more welcomed and coddled all over the cluster than others fly straight in the face of what CCP has provided.

It's back to convenience, I feel. It's just convenient to completely disregard realism and invent far-fetched reasons for not having anyone pay the price/face the consequences of their actions. It's honestly very sad to see this go this way, because this philosophy makes almost all RP gravitate into tiny private areas where people can avoid rubbing shoulders with deadly enemies or into a very few large public venues where everyone rubs shoulders with everyone without even a hint of the inter-faction hostility at play.

Those who don't feel like hammering at the fourth wall with a sledgehammer just to get RP - any RP, with anyone or anything, no questions asked - thus get pretty much blocked from getting any RP since it's just easier to disregard realism and consequences.

I'm wholly convinced that there'd be a far more vibrant and wide-spread RP, across more themes and more stories, with more meaningful interaction if this policy of 'we don't care about what you've done, just come play in our channels!' wasn't there. It'd mean people would create more RP elsewhere, instead of just hitching onto the same old drinkin' in the same old bars. More RP locations, and the choices between some shoulder-rubbing and some more faction specific RP without the automatic intrusion of deadly enemies in it.

There's a tangent here about how this philosophy also kills off some of the less neutral RP by creating these black holes where no non-neutral RP can escape from, but that's another topic altogether.

Ok, so from what I understand here, you think that liberal RPs are happily cuddling with sansha loyalists just because they are allowed to walk in their public RP locations ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6