Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Mordu's Legion was formed of Intakis exiled from the Federation for their support for the Caldari? For more read here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Speech Pathology and You  (Read 2532 times)

Scherezad

• Clonejack
Re: Speech Pathology and You
« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2013, 21:28 »

Do not get rid of it unless it is through Schere actually getting better. It's a very distinctive trait that makes her stand out, and it's nice to see someone who's different but successfully so.

It would be interesting to see it change over time if you did do that, though.

At one point, she *did* start to slowly get better. She was tenting a new implant to fix her problem, and it was working. As it did, though, her memory got worse and worse, to the point where she'd forget the topic of the sentence in the middle of it. Then the implant crashed out \o/ Doubt anyone remember that, though.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2013, 21:34 »

I recall her recovering and was surprised to see her back to her previous level of speech disruptions when I returned.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Shintoko Akahoshi

• Red Mom of War(?)
  • Pod Captain
  • Red Mom of War!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:33 »

I've seen other people use descriptive text to relay speech pathology, accents and the like, but mostly I've just seen people altering the text of their speech to suit, as Schere does. The benefit of simply describing the pathology is ease of reading. The detriments of it are that you have to describe it frequently (or people will forget), and a loss of immediacy.

I haven't had either of my characters interact with Schere, but everything I've read has a wonderful immediacy to it. I'd just stick with what you've got, to be honest.  :)

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #18 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:59 »

These speech "pathology" is CUTE! ^_^
Really.

Besides, don't forget, that we all in speech put these bad words like uh eh errmmm well, etc. I am trying to put them into written speech as well, but of course not at that level, but still ;)

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #19 on: 21 Apr 2013, 14:26 »

I am also ok with how Shere "speaks" now. It kinda has the same "annoying" effect that it would have if it was actually spoken, and if my character would one day have conversation with Shere during an urgent/tense situation, he would probably get a little (more) edgy.
Which leads my to the following:
Ché would likely cut off your sentences in such a situation, which is not possible if you don't cut up your sentences. I can see that cutting them up in pieces is annoying in public channels though, but I would suggest using that method in private convo's with those that are ok with it. Don't overdo it though.

Also, Ché has been wondering why you speak in the IGS, instead of using text or "synthesized" audio. Maybe he'll ask about that one day.
-OOChé

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #20 on: 21 Apr 2013, 17:31 »

I don't think I've interacted with Scherezad, but I tend to think that word choice and sentence construction is one of the most powerful tools for RP. Like phonetic spelling, a little goes quite a long way, but it gives a strong flavour of a character.

One of the things I occasionally struggle with is how to make it clear that (in Laria's case, for example) the character is supposed to come across as faking, or in other cases, incoherent or odd, rather than it being my limitations as a RPer (of which there are many).

But no, from other's comments, it sounds like you're doing a top job, and it's certainly something different.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #21 on: 22 Apr 2013, 06:15 »

It is certainly something that would really harm the character if it was removed. It is true that it makes it hard to read (like sometimes really painful), but at the same time it is more realistic if we, as the player, start to feel the same way our characters feel.

I remember that Malcolm in his first days used a flavoured, more familiar language that also made him hard to understand. He dropped it quickly but at the same time maybe it was even harder considering he used very specific slang and terms that not everybody was familiar with. Which is not the case here.
Pages: 1 [2]