Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sleepers are an ancient culture that disappeared?

Author Topic: What is EVE  (Read 1657 times)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
What is EVE
« on: 21 May 2013, 13:08 »

What is EVE? and where does it fit ?

Is it Science Fiction? or Space Fantasy? Is it about stories or ideas?

I think a lot of the arguments about EVE RP stem from disagreement on basic ideas on what EVE is, and what fits.

This is, imo, where all the "you're doing it wrong", comes from. Incompatibility of viewpoints. One person is being Dune, the other is Flash Gordon. They aren't going to agree.

And where do you place your RP ?

Personally, I think EVE leans more to the space fantasy side, and to stories, rather than ideas. Jovian Nanites explain how things work, and it's all about characters adventures, rather than their ideologies.

[attachment deleted by admin]
\o/

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
Re: What is EVE
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2013, 13:30 »

What is EVE?
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me
No more!

The idea that science fiction is something fundamentally different from fantasy is a modern one. When the market boomed, publishers and booksellers needed a way to break up their lines and book-racks to get more sales. The same thing happened in the 80s with horror and in the 00s with young adult fiction.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 13:34 by Makkal »
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2013, 13:33 »

What is EVE?
No more!

Get. Out. Of. My. Mind.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2013, 13:34 »

What is EVE?
No more!

Get. Out. Of. My. Mind.

But it's interesting in here! :(
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2013, 13:42 »

For those of you who wonder how specific books get on the shelf of your bookstore, I'll explain how it happens.

A seller for the publisher sits down with a regional manager for a bookstore. This 'region' can be as small as a city or as large as several states. The seller hands the buyer a list and says, "This is our young adult line for Fall 2013. We're really excited about X, Y, and Z." The buyer picks a handful of books from that list. The seller hands the buyer a different list and says, "This is our women's fiction line for Fall 2013. We're really exicted about X, Y, and Z." The buyer picks a handful of books from that list.

Sellers quickly learned that they sold more of they gave the buyers a bunch of smaller lists to pick from - dark fantasy, young adult fantasy, horror, epic fantasy, sword and sorcery - instead of just one longer 'fantasy' list.

And that's the origin of most book genres.

Fans then fixate on these categories and attempt to make them meaningful. Science fiction fans are some of the most exclusive types. There's a huge number of sci-fi fans who claim Star Wars isn't science fiction despite it being far closer to the 'science fiction' tales of the 1930s-50s than most hard sci-fi.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 13:47 by Makkal »

Current Events

Lyn Farel

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2013, 13:44 »

Interesting.

I consider Eve closer to Dune than Flash Gordon. Although the new Eve, not so much. Not sure yet.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2013, 13:47 »

What is EVE?
No more!
Get. Out. Of. My. Mind.
But it's interesting in here! :(

Lies.

But I'll agree with Makkal (of my own volition, not because Makkal's currently rummaging around in my brain) that the further one goes back in science fiction and fantasy, the more the two blend with each other and with horror. 

My own RP flavoring varies wildly between characters, but most of it's to the left of the graph.   The really loopy stuff (e.g. the trilogy of dichotomies) is likely a bit above the line, and the less loopy stuff's just below it -- for example, I think Maris could likely fit nicely into a Star Wars universe, provided nobody's dumb enough to give her The Force.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2013, 14:10 »

EVE is inspired by a number of different genres but I see it heavily influenced by dystopian sci fi like Philip K. Dick's and space opera like  Peter F. Hamilton's.

Dune is interesting in that it ought to have left a big a footprint on sci-fi as Lord of the Rings did on fantasy, but far fewer works are derived from it. The Amarr Empire and the various internecine conflicts in the factions might be an attempt to capture Dune level's of political complexity but I can't say the result is 'Dunish' in my eyes.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 14:17 by Makkal »

Current Events

Anslol

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2013, 14:13 »

“Magic's just science that we don't understand yet.”
-Arthur C. Clarke

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2013, 14:50 »

in my op, i meant, for science fiction, how things work is important, and they work in a generally consistent way. For space fantasy, it's not as important how things work, merely that they do.

Difference between "The Amarr laser rifle works in this fashion. These factors, in addition to the symbolism, are why Amarr forces use lasers", and "The Amarr use laser rifles because of the symbolism of a beam of holy light".
\o/

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2013, 01:31 »

I think the fiction/fantasy axis can be determined from the amount of handwavium in the setting.

In the beginning there was less than there is now, so EVE has changed.

Then the idea and story axis... well, the chronicles used to be info dumps about different aspects of EVE, now they are just stories with very little real information in them, so that has changed as well.

There seems to be a definite trend of EVE going more to a fantasy story with its space opera shenannigans.
No, Evelopedia is not an indicator of the opposite, nor is the socially affected story GMs in their view of the PF.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!