Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that Scagga once lost 800,000,000 isk in one night due to his gambling problem?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous (Or: Why has this thread not been made yet!?)  (Read 39548 times)

Lyn Farel

Well you are preaching to the choir...

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain

my computer is an Intel i5 based system with 8Gb of Ram and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460.

I don't know if that meets the minimum specifications or not, vOv

also, is it one of those buy once, play forever kind of games ? i.e. no subscription ?
It does meet the minimum specs. I am successfully running the game on an old Core 2 Quad with 4 GB and 9800 GTX. Not my main rig, but hey, wanted to try if it runs. (Occasionally notable stuttering when loading objects.) The official minimum is quad-core (at least 2 GHz clock per core), 4 GB and GT 260.

And yes, it does not have a subscription. There will be for-pay expansions, though point releases will be free. And there's ye olde cosmetic shoppe for ship skins. (Mainly for beginner stuff, not much for bigger ships yet.)

Karynn

Faction warfare comes to Elite!

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=b0a8ebba0b

Really looking forward to this - I hope they introduce criminal power-factions too!

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Installing now.  :)

Teach me how to new spaceships.

Karynn

Good stuff Laurentis  :D
How are you settling in?

I've been happily smuggling drugs and guns across the galaxy, in a bright orange Lakon Type 6 with smiley-face badges on the sides  8)

« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2015, 02:38 by Karynn »

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

Good stuff Laurentis  :D
How are you settling in?

I've been happily smuggling drugs and guns across the galaxy, in a bright orange Lakon Type 6 with smiley-face badges on the sides  8)

If you want to hookup in-game, give "Marrakech" a shout  ;)

Added.

Karynn

Powerplay, Elite's vision of faction warfare, is released!

There's an initial ten factions, each with their own wonderfully fleshed-out leaders, territories, traits and bonus stuff for loyal players.

All the gang's here... Senator Judi Dench, President Robert Patrick and Space Daenerys... do the Goolgly things and read all about it!

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/

i bought this on sunday

I made 100k on sunday, and a bit more on monday.

one time, an npc pirate attacked me, and police ships showed up, and it was quite exciting.

yesterday an npc pirate attacked, and I shot at them, they tried to run, I heard the "frame shift charge detected", and I was like :O and they almost got away, but I kept my lasers on them, but then my right laser cut out, due to being out of charge, and with the last couple bursts from the left laser, the npc pirate exploded, and I was like :3

I think it's a really immersive experience of being a space bum, lol.
\o/

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

There's an initial ten factions, each with their own wonderfully fleshed-out leaders, territories, traits and bonus stuff for loyal players.

All the gang's here... Senator Judi Dench, President Robert Patrick and Space Daenerys... do the Goolgly things and read all about it!

The TS-F crew that have the game have formed Commune 66 under the auspices of our enlightened guide, Simguru Antal.  Utopia is not a choice, it is an inevitability!

More seriously, we're having a great time, and some of the Angel Cartel supporters are forming up with Delaine's Kumo Crew to terrorise the space lanes. Power play has injected some much needed life into the game, and it is much better for it.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Watched le trailer.

So kind of a 6-way faction warfare with missions/etc to boost your faction?

I saw some larger ships in the trailer, are there player ships around that can destroy those or fly those sorts of things yet (or planned?)

Aelisha

• Egger
  • Maker of ISK, Supplier of SRPs

Watched le trailer.

So kind of a 6-way faction warfare with missions/etc to boost your faction?

I saw some larger ships in the trailer, are there player ships around that can destroy those or fly those sorts of things yet (or planned?)

10 way at the moment, the design document apparently states it can support up to 20 powers (but I assume they're going for a slow but steady start to test the mechanics).

Larger ships like the Farragut and Imperial Interdictor have existed for a while, and can be driven off by dedicated (and costly) strikes from smaller vessels open to players. The largest vessels open to us at present are the Anaconda, and the proposed (and soon to be released) Federal Corvette and Imperial Cutter. These ships are crewed by up to a dozen souls (not yet modelled - waiting on multi-crew announcements but no word yet) with many turreted hard points, but they still pale in comparison to military grade capital ships.

There are no plans to allow players to own or operate capital ships at present (thank god).

Laurentis Thiesant

• Egger

I personally went with Folksy Prime Minister Homeless Guy.

Karynn

Quote from: Aelisha
of the Angel Cartel supporters are forming up with Delaine's Kumo Crew to terrorise the space lanes.

Yay Kumo Crew! \o/

I traded in my boxy Type 6 for a classic Cobra MkIII so I could work for the Archon as an armed light smuggler, hauling his contraband out to prepare systems for takeover and bringing back marked slaves to his HQ to consolidate his grip on controlled systems! I'm kitted out fairly decently for offence and defence too, should the opportunity or need arise.

Yeah, I agree that Powerplay's bought the game alive, despite a few teething problems.

If you really want to get immersed, I highly recommend one of these: https://edtracker.org.uk

See you out in the black ;) o7

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

I had some pretty big words in support of this game when it came out (and on this thread), but it did feel like the game was missing that something... I was wondering if we as gamers are just so jaded and demanding these days that even this nigh perfect rendition of the old Elite wouldn't be enough to truly win me over.

Well, I think the recent additions - community goals and Power Play - have provided what was needed.

I don't think community goals are new anymore, but I hadn't been doing any of them (haven't really been playing Elite since way back then). The background sim stuff seemed well designed (though I am sure it is a big buggy here and there, plus quite difficult and tedious for players to test) and it was great that our actions had an impact - no matter how small - on the greater world. Also, the emergent stories you could envision based on this stuff... just fantastic stuff for RPers. However, it still felt difficult (and perhaps not rewarding enough) to actually reach out and touch. The community goals gave it focus, highlighted a particular story and rewarded you. Well, pretty much exactly what was needed.

And now Power Play seems to add a third layer to the game (space trucking + background sim + Power Play), which is not only interconnected, but enhances every preceding layer. It gives groups a reason to organize on the large and small scale and truly gives you a way of anchoring yourself into galactic politics. That and it provides factional identity, whether you are a roleplayer or not. I am sure the mechanics will need some work, but the outline is great... and I am actually somewhat amazed at so many naysayers (or maybe I just shouldn't look at the official forums). I say they just don't see the art of it, even if I sound elitist.

I just love the possible depth of these levels interacting. Ok, so our faction needs this system... but the local government isn't amenable to us, so hell, let's work to undermine the local government and place a minor faction in control that would be more beneficial to our Power play patron. And so the tens or hundreds of space truckers get to work. And that's just one faction working... before we start seeing different groups at cross purposes. So yeah, possibly riveting stuff in the pipe.

I actually restarted my character as Power Play was introduced. Kinda stupid yeah, but it's the curse of the player who views things from a roleplaying bent.. only lost 3 million or so in total funds, so not that bad. Now my new commander is out in the Pegasi sector, working one of those cool Kumo Crew themed community goals to quickly and decently equip myself.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17