Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: You aren't godlike enough.  (Read 17275 times)

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
Re: You aren't godlike enough.
« Reply #135 on: 11 Sep 2013, 02:57 »

With all due respect, your thread on the IGS doesn't come across as "I want to learn about trans-humanity".

Arista Shahni

• Pod Captain
« Reply #136 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:02 »

Well, it came across as Khanid Holder wants to know... ;)

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #137 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:32 »

With all due respect, your thread on the IGS doesn't come across as "I want to learn about trans-humanity".

It was a lead-in.  And she did/does actually want to learn more about the Sansha mentality.

Sofia Roseburn

• Does this look like the face of mercy?
  • Egger
« Reply #138 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:46 »

My, and I think a lot of other TS-F's interpretation was that you were trolling. Certainly there was nothing there that actually warranted an actual conversation among equals.

v0v

Nicoletta Mithra

• Veteran
« Reply #139 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:07 »

Shansha aren't trans-human, they are in-human. <,<

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #140 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:26 »

My, and I think a lot of other TS-F's interpretation was that you were trolling. Certainly there was nothing there that actually warranted an actual conversation among equals.

v0v

Trust me, I'd have been a lot less polite if I was trolling.  I even avoided the old 'Toaster' standby :P  Even though the thread was pretty much a failure, she's also sticking by her promise to not stick her oar in or join in the waves of hate beginning to descend.

Aelisha Montenagre

« Reply #141 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:31 »

Yeah, I pretty much decided to one-post it due to the on coming hate storm :P

I was pretty wary of the thread myself, but it did give me the chance to put out there the fact that we are 'followers' of the sansha ideology, so analysis beyond our personal situations isn't really going to be much use for anything other than use as a weapon to strengthen the stand point of the questioner - hence our general 'don't bother, just get on getting on' mentality.

That and some randoms who like to shit up threads with sansha in them claiming that sansha shit up threads ;).

It's a pretty sensitive topic in general, but private communication will yield surprising results with regards to depth of conversation - the IGS and Summit are just terrible echo-chambers, when regarding factional politics and ideology, that I (and I think I can go so far as to say We in TS-F) have little interest in beyond the most basic surface interaction.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2013, 06:33 by Aelisha Montenagre »

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #142 on: 11 Sep 2013, 06:39 »

Yeah, I pretty much decided to one-post it due to the on coming hate storm :P

I was pretty wary of the thread myself, but it did give me the chance to put out there the fact that we are 'followers' of the sansha ideology, so analysis beyond our personal situations isn't really going to be much use for anything other than use as a weapon to strengthen the stand point of the questioner - hence our general 'don't bother, just get on getting on' mentality.

That and some randoms who like to shit up threads with sansha in them claiming that sansha shit up threads ;).

It's a pretty sensitive topic in general, but private communication will yield surprising results with regards to depth of conversation - the IGS and Summit are just terrible echo-chambers, when regarding factional politics and ideology, that I (and I think I can go so far as to say We in TS-F) have little interest in beyond the most basic surface interaction.

That was pretty much Khara's line when I was chatting with him about it.  Still, needed to go through the motions with Reppy.  She's rather blunt and not terribly bright sometimes :P

Lyn Farel

« Reply #143 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:17 »

It was a lead-in.  And she did/does actually want to learn more about the Sansha mentality.

There is many different kinds of transhumanists...

Lithium Flower

• Omelette
  • I very speak engrish a bit, thank you!
« Reply #144 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:28 »

I together with my character has a bit not standard point of view to this transhumanity, the core of this view, is that we are still mortal, but made to believe in our immortality so we wouldn't be afraid of death, and can be used for dangerous missions, like extracting stuff from wormholes, fighting wars instead of navies, etc.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #145 on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:53 »

To be fair, the impression I get is that both sides shit up threads. Sometimes the instigator is someone smacktalking the Nation loyalists, inviting you guys to respond. Sometimes it's the other way around, and it's a Nation loyalist posting what might be considered the 'standard Smugsha's Nation line' instigating a harsh response from everyone else.

It happens with most threads where some 'villain' is involved or one can be drawn up, ofc. Any thread Diana gets involved in (or where someone can use her as a comparison), pretty much each and every Amarr/Minmatar thread ever, etc. - just as examples.

We're all guilty of that, really. Nobody's clean or has farts that smell of roses on the IGS. The only way to have that is to never post, ever. :p
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #146 on: 11 Sep 2013, 18:39 »

There is many different kinds of transhumanists...

I know this wasn't your point and that you probably realise it already, but that's exactly why there's been 10 pages of posts on this so far and also why good debate revolving around key concepts and controversies about transhumanism is a great stimulus for EVE RP (grimdark or otherwise).

I together with my character has a bit not standard point of view to this transhumanity, the core of this view, is that we are still mortal, but made to believe in our immortality so we wouldn't be afraid of death, and can be used for dangerous missions, like extracting stuff from wormholes, fighting wars instead of navies, etc.

Given that deconstructing the concept of god with respect to how we deal with our own mortality is what some transhumanists spend a good deal of their time trying to reason out, I don't think your view is 'not standard' at all - it is however a somewhat unique take on 'gods in the pods' from what I've seen in the game. The idea that someone's created an immortal to do all the things the mortal power player NPCs no longer want to risk themselves or their people with and now find themselves struggling with physical and idiological strategies to contain their creations is interesting. It casts your character in an entirely different light for me.

To be fair, the impression I get is that both sides shit up threads. Sometimes the instigator is someone smacktalking the Nation loyalists, inviting you guys to respond. Sometimes it's the other way around, and it's a Nation loyalist posting what might be considered the 'standard Smugsha's Nation line' instigating a harsh response from everyone else.

It happens with most threads where some 'villain' is involved or one can be drawn up, ofc.

Morwen's on the right track here I think, particularly with that last sentence. Someone shows up in black (or even dark grey) twirling the first strands of a proto-moustache and they're automatically targetted. :) Shortly thereafter the thread vanishes in a sea of derp, ad hominem and strawman back and forth.

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #147 on: 16 Sep 2013, 20:33 »

In all CCP storyline we've been described, generally, as aloof demigods who care not a whit about their crew, or humanity at large. We're unbound Ids and Egos. We have access to every pleasure, every sensation, every tidbit of information we could possibly desire...

... and most of y'all act like the cast of Friends.
Guilty as charged.

But I enjoy playing one of the Friends peeps (I never saw this show, so I'm responding to more to a generic sitcom) more than I do an aloof demigod. Even if I tried, I suspect my attempts would come off as unrealistic for the majority of players I interact with.
Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #148 on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:34 »

I have been playing Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently, and something seems somewhat relevant:
"Humanity:
Humanity is a moral code that allows Kindred to retain their mortal sensibilities in the face of their transformation in to parasitic monsters. In essence, it is what keeps a vampire from becoming a mindless animal, enslaved by their thirst for blood."

substitute capsuleer for vampire into this kind of thing, and stuff makes a whole lot more sense :O

It was not for merchant shipping that capsuleers were developed. Mining barges and transports do not need a captain that can react at the speed of thought. Instead, it is for ships of war.

And warships, need someone to fight.

So, some capsuleers try to hold onto their "humanity", to slow/stop the slide into becoming a weaponised brain that is chained by its need to fight.
\o/

Andreus Ixiris

• Omelette
« Reply #149 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:13 »

In response to the original post - Andreus Ixiris may indeed be an immortal, but he's an immortal human being. The nature of his existence may have changed, but his perspective hasn't. In fact, I'm a strong believer in the idea of powerful abnormality (having superpowers, being nano-augmented, being immortal, etc.) really just making you more like who you already are.

Becoming a capsuleer doesn't automatically change your perspective. You don't come into being as a capsuleer with an innate understanding of how to deal with never having to die and what that entails. Hell, the longest-running independent capsuleers in New Eden have been around just over ten years now. The vast majority of us haven't actually lived longer than normal human beings - we're just significantly more resistant to staying dead when people kill us - so no-one is at the stage where they can realistically claim to be thousands (or even hundreds) of years old. No-one has been able to develop the same perspective on life that D&D elves and dragons have (wait a decade or two and see if the problem is still there). In point of fact we've fit more life into a single ten-year span than most D&D elves can manage into their entire seven-hundred-year lives.

Ten years in New Eden has seen the rise and fall of hundreds of political figures and dozens of mighty empires, unlikely alliances, earth-shattering wars, murders, thefts, betrayals, oaths of revenge, sickening acts of evil and perversity, awe-inspiring acts of generosity and kindness, unbelievable feats of courage, skill or outright luck - and all of these things are so, so brilliantly human. More like gods than men? Fuck no, if anything I think we as capsuleers are priviledged to be given the opportunity to be more human than anyone walking around on a planet could ever hope to be until the advent of the DUST implant.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11