Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My pet peeve  (Read 5561 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: My pet peeve
« Reply #15 on: 19 Feb 2011, 18:46 »

Ransoms... Well, call me old fashioned, I prefer a ransom over a kill, hence why I have far less kills than I would if I were dishonourable.

Now, here's where I hit an interesting dichotomy.

On the one hand, I would love to ransom other players. Not because it gives you an ego boost - which it does - and not because I'm Caldari and appreciate the extra money - which I do. It's because it's such a classy way to end the fight. Rather than podding the poor sucker, who - if you've managed to catch his pod - is aware he's been defeated, you offer him some gentlemanly mercy. It's firing your dueling pistol into the air, after your opponent has missed.

Minor problem; I have so far attempted two ransoms. Neither was successful.

The first was due to what I'll call "overly enthusiastic combat spirit" in my corp mates. Before I had a chance to actually offer my terms, a few 220mm rounds went through my target's pod.

Now, the second brings me to my rambling point. I know it seems stupid, but at the time of the second ransom I hadn't considered the obligations you sign up for when you manage to catch someone's pod. If you want to let them go out of the goodness of your heart, well, gold sticker for you. But after offering a ransom, and receiving a middle finger in return... well, now I'm contractually obligated to take a relatively large sec hit. I can't exactly go "Aw, shucks" and let you go after that. >>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2011, 19:46 »

Re: OP:

I don't mind WCS that much. If you choose to use them, you gimp your ship inimaginably hard; furthermore, the abundance of HICs means that even stabbed you aren't safe. I still think those people who fit them and then go on long hikes through lowsec are absolute idiots, as it's far to easy to set up a camp with enough points to grab a stabbed ship (get a scout instead). However, as an option solely for configuring your ship for transit, I find it a fairly acceptable trade-off.

Now, my personal pet peeves...

1, supercaps. For whatever reason you want to pin it on, the amount of minerals and ISK out there on the market has risen dramatically. One of the effects of this has been the abundance of supercaps ALL OVER THE PLACE. It used to be a titan or mothership was an enourmous project that alliances poured all their funds into, effecting campaigns to protect their supercapitals in production or terminate their enemies'. But, the production requirements of supercapitals has never been updated to compensate for the increased minerals and ISK I mentioned earlier, so now... well, Supercapitals are practically a mandate to be a reasonable force in the cluster, and are frequently toys for use by everyone with several spare billion on hand.

2, macro-___ers. Especially the ratters. I'll not say to much on this, as I can easily see it slipping into moderate-able territory, but the fact that macroers are so often able to operate unmolested is a particular grind on my nerves. Especially since I do blame them (at least) for the increase in available minerals I mentioned in part 1.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2011, 04:05 »

2, macro-___ers.
Yah, I'd love to kill them all, but it's just not possible.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2011, 06:36 »

1, supercaps. For whatever reason you want to pin it on, the amount of minerals and ISK out there on the market has risen dramatically. One of the effects of this has been the abundance of supercaps ALL OVER THE PLACE. It used to be a titan or mothership was an enourmous project that alliances poured all their funds into, effecting campaigns to protect their supercapitals in production or terminate their enemies'. But, the production requirements of supercapitals has never been updated to compensate for the increased minerals and ISK I mentioned earlier, so now... well, Supercapitals are practically a mandate to be a reasonable force in the cluster, and are frequently toys for use by everyone with several spare billion on hand.

^this.

Welcome to blobfest, but with supercaps. yay

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:59 »

^this.

Welcome to blobfest, but with supercaps. yay

This is mostly the story of my EVE-life. HAC's are rare -> have skills, but can't afford. BS's are standard in 0.0 battles -> skills, but can't afford. Carriers are becoming normal in 0.0 and empire -> I'm starting to get skills now. Super capitals dominate -> I'm still in BS's and loved the age when the biggest fleet-sluggers were battleships. Now it's far to late and even as I'm getting capital skills (deals with everything else -.-) capitals are nothing impressive anymore. Seems even the smallest corporations have a handfull of capitals these days.

It's quite the shame. The ironic thing? Now that doomsdays are not aoe weapons anymore (a MAJOR improvement in my book) HAC/RECON/LOGISTIC gangs are the new in, and BS's are near obsolete.

Much like people use Super carriers with bombers in capital fights now and save their obsolete dreads for pos-gunning. There goes my dream of owning a Gallente dread :S

As for macroers, the ability to suicide them daily o hunt them down in 0.0 is one of the only reasons I'd ever go outlaw.

Vikarion

« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:45 »

2, macro-___ers. Especially the ratters. I'll not say to much on this, as I can easily see it slipping into moderate-able territory, but the fact that macroers are so often able to operate unmolested is a particular grind on my nerves. Especially since I do blame them (at least) for the increase in available minerals I mentioned in part 1.

Of course, the difficulty in regards to getting rid of macro-ers is the ever increasing amount of sophistication they are endowed with. Sometimes I wonder if the first true AI won't be achieved first (assuming it is achieved at all) by some guy in a basement trying to make a better macro-ing bot.

Windle Poons

• Clonejack
« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2011, 10:48 »

You do know what WCS were like before they were heavily nerfed don't you? Before things like HICs existed.

If you don't like them now, I can't imagine how much you would have hated them before.

Windle Poons
It is better to die for the emperor than live for yourself

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: 20 Feb 2011, 15:59 »

You must realize that EVE is not just a PvP game. CCP must cater to all types of players, and getting mad isn't going to help the passive-aggressive mood.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #23 on: 20 Feb 2011, 17:45 »

Eh, I get annoyed by them, but WCS are far from the worst thing in the game. Besides, there's always options to deal with them.

No, what annoys me the most is people who refuse to pay ransoms and force me to blow them up. It's really very frustrating knowing that the ransom offer I put on the table is cheaper than what they'll pay to refit the ship after it goes boom, and knowing that I'll make more ISK if they would only swallow their pride and do business. And full turn, the people who don't honor ransoms are rather frustrating as well.

Note: Picture is grainy, I couldn't find my good quality version for some reason.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #24 on: 20 Feb 2011, 19:14 »

Much as I like blowing up other people's internet spaceships, I took much joy while I was -10 in undocking in a industrial with tank in mids and WCS in lows and tank the incoming damage while aligning and warping off without a care in the world. It's like some kind of reverse violencing. Oh the tears in local ♥ I do miss npc goods a little, there were some good routes for easy ISK back in the days.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2011, 00:25 »

Eh, I get annoyed by them, but WCS are far from the worst thing in the game. Besides, there's always options to deal with them.

No, what annoys me the most is people who refuse to pay ransoms and force me to blow them up. It's really very frustrating knowing that the ransom offer I put on the table is cheaper than what they'll pay to refit the ship after it goes boom, and knowing that I'll make more ISK if they would only swallow their pride and do business. And full turn, the people who don't honor ransoms are rather frustrating as well.

Note: Picture is grainy, I couldn't find my good quality version for some reason.

A few things.

I rarely use an industrial. That's what industrialists are for. But if I was to use one, in lowsec, I would stab it. Always. In fact, I tell all ILF personnel to stab their industrials if operating in lowsec. Without interdiction, you shouldn't be losing it except to mega-gangs.

As for combat ships, I wouldn't stab them because you are giving up a useful lowspot and predetermining the path of eventual retreat.

As for Inara's point, I have never been ransomed. But if someone offered me a ransom, I would refuse, regardless of how reasonable it was. This is mostly for IC reasons - we are all roleplayers here after all. It doesn't seem unreasonable to you that people would refuse to deal with pirates, IC?

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2011, 05:17 »

I can understand a person choosing death over a reasonable ransom.

Each ransom paid makes piracy a more profitable profession, if nobody would pay then being a pirate would be less economically viable meaning that there would be less pirates.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2011, 13:49 »

As for Inara's point, I have never been ransomed. But if someone offered me a ransom, I would refuse, regardless of how reasonable it was. This is mostly for IC reasons - we are all roleplayers here after all. It doesn't seem unreasonable to you that people would refuse to deal with pirates, IC?

Well, IC I would (and have) paid ransoms. But that is due to her not wanting to lose 'crew' if possible. And, she hopes (and expects to a point) that other pilots care for the lives under their command enough to shell out a few Kreds to insure their safety.

OOC, I prefer to get paid rather than hope for good loot drops (CCP hates pirates on loot drops). And if I'm ever caught, and being ransomed... well, they caught me, and if they're being reasonable, I'm willing to concede defeat and pay up.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:06 »

Well, IC I would (and have) paid ransoms. But that is due to her not wanting to lose 'crew' if possible. And, she hopes (and expects to a point) that other pilots care for the lives under their command enough to shell out a few Kreds to insure their safety.

OOC, I prefer to get paid rather than hope for good loot drops (CCP hates pirates on loot drops). And if I'm ever caught, and being ransomed... well, they caught me, and if they're being reasonable, I'm willing to concede defeat and pay up.

I might have held the same viewpoint as you, if not for the fact that I'm totally unable to trust anyone with a finger on the trigger of a kill to actually let me go when there is nothing preventing them from blowing me up anyway. The only exception I *might* take would be pirates I know to be 'honorable' (Veto, perhaps. No other name comes to mind.) and/or a direct order from my CEO to pay a ransom to save the ship. Only problem is, last I did just that, it was dishonored anyway and thus simply reinforced my viewpoint that not one single pirate in this game DESERVE the ransom money.

If being ransomed in a ship capable of doing so, I'd rather try to keep it alive long enough for the self-destruct to hit. No ransom money, no kill, no loot, insurance for me.

Inara Subaka

• Egger
  • Business Woman
« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2011, 22:47 »

If being ransomed in a ship capable of doing so, I'd rather try to keep it alive long enough for the self-destruct to hit. No ransom money, no kill, no loot, insurance for me.

Understandable, using Self-Destruct gives crew time to run to escape pods and whatnot. However, most of the time if I'm ransoming, it's in a situation where 2 minutes is far longer than is necessary to finish the ship off.

As for the dishonored ransom leaving a bad taste in your mouth... well, I can't blame you really, there are some massive douche monkeys out there. (you can add the Rancer Cancer aka the united [BL3H] to the list of ransomers that do honor them; at least, they did when I flew there)

Oh, and back to the OP about WCS... I will admit to having taken a T3, with stabs and the interdiction nulifier, on an alt through nulsec camps just to piss people off. It's hilarious watching the rage in local.
Pages: 1 [2] 3