Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That ship crews only perform cleanup, maintenance, and lower-order operations on ships? (The Burning Life p 31)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help Naming A Khanid News Corporation  (Read 2048 times)

Kunarian

• Clonejack
Help Naming A Khanid News Corporation
« on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:21 »

I'm currently starting recording data and writing articles for a new Khanid News Service. However I am stuck for a name.

I've taken inspiration from the name of the RL Al-Jazeera (literally "the island") and decided to go for something simple and elegant and not "[Insert thing] News". "The Kingdom" and "The Great House" are names I am currently trying to create a translation for.

I'm using Mongolian and Persian atm for helping me create a name.

Ideas thus far:

[Mongolian inspired]
  • Khaant Uls (the kingdom)
  • Ikh Baishin (the great house)

[Persian inspired]
  • Padesahi (the kingdom)
  • Xane'azim (the great house)
  • Xane'bo'zim (the great house)

Any ideas or support for one of the above names would be appreciated.

Kunarian

• Clonejack
Re: Help Naming A Khanid News Corporation
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:43 »

• Padesar Ul
  • Ikol Balshon

Some words I threw together from the above in a rather basic way. Please freely comment.

Odelya

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2014, 07:20 »

Khāne (خانه) means “house” in Persian, but it isn’t used as in “House Windsor”,  for house/dynasty you would use Dūdmān (دودمان), Khāndān (خاندان) or Selsele (سلسله).

If there's something more about the Persian language you would like to know, I will be glad to answer you. I think “Khanid News Service” is a pretty good name though...  :eek:

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2014, 08:03 »

Silas and some of the East Khanid Trading folks had a Kingdom news service iirc. They might have some ideas.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anyanka Funk

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:05 »

What Morwen is referring to is Dark Amarr News. You can find stuff by them here, here, and here (There is probably more stuff if you search).

Lucius and Silas no longer play Eve.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2014, 20:52 »

I like the IGS post, and that they are trying to do financial news instead of political news. Also, subscription fee is genius.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2014, 21:03 »

The business news idea is indeed a nice one. All of the trader channels or trader friendships are constantly talking about how business and markets are shifting in the cluster anyway, but other than a couple blogs not many people actually publish anything about it AFAIK.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2014, 21:10 »

It does seem like a fresh RP angle. It avoids a lot of the "same arguement" pitfalls. Also, I'm a longtime Economist subscriber, it's not news without a financial section :P

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2014, 08:45 »

Loved the business plan. Definitely worth looking into, guys, even though it's not necessarily going to cause much in-game action/interaction. I'm sold on the concept.

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2014, 15:15 »

Glad people have shown an interest. Just in case some people don't know, the Corporation is called Padesar Uls.

Any things you think might be helpful for me (e.g. particular channels, websites, etc.) to make this as holistic as I want it to be would be greatly appreciated.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2014, 03:14 »

KNN (Khanid News Network), which also doubles as a swear word in South East Asia.
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2014, 08:51 »

Voices of the Realm

Khanid Journal Network

don't know how to translate those into mongolian (or asiatic stepes dialects)

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2014, 13:16 »

I would go Turkish/Persian rather than Mongol for inspiration, if you want a historical culture to play with for ideas/languages, personally. Just because the relationship between Amarr and Khanid seems much closer to the relationship between Persia and the Turks than it does the Mongols. 

Kunarian

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2014, 15:04 »

I would go Turkish/Persian rather than Mongol for inspiration, if you want a historical culture to play with for ideas/languages, personally. Just because the relationship between Amarr and Khanid seems much closer to the relationship between Persia and the Turks than it does the Mongols.

I ended up going Persian/Mongol. Although I've never heard of the idea of Turkish/Persian relationship being similar to the Amarr/Khanid.

Gaven Lok ri

• Omelette
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2014, 16:27 »

You wouldn't have. I am pretty sure it is my idea. It also requires a bit more esoteric reading than you are going to get from almost anyone else. :P

But basically, the eastern periphery of the Sasanian and then the Samanid states were bordered by Turkish states that had a somewhat complicated relationship with the Persians. Sometimes they were at odds, other times the Turkish groups basically served the Persians. The Samanids are the interesting ones for comparison to Amarr, because they start using some of the more persianized Turks as soldiers, governors, and generals like this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alp_Tigin

Then further out to the east you have groups like the qarakhanids, which Persianize a good deal less. I would imagine the Amarr/Khanid relationship on Athra looked somewhat similar, with different groups of Khanid Amarrizing at different rates.

Of course, we don't have an Amarr equivalent of the Turkish generals taking the palace and setting up their own Persian-Turkish hybrid dynasty, so it only goes so far.
Pages: [1] 2