Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The number of young, idealistic scientists found in Verge Vendor is disproportionately high? (Region Description)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Origin  (Read 2305 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: Origin
« Reply #15 on: 10 Oct 2014, 08:35 »

Heyas, I'm bumping this topic. I've added some additional stuff to the Origin page, and I'm currently working on other pages for the people of Origin, cities, current politics, and the like. Its a big project though and I'm not very good at exposition dumps, so if anyone is interested in helping me expand and develop the lore further, it'd be sweet, send me a PM.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2014, 22:57 »

I like this overall! I think you might've made a typo on the section for Renaissance where you said the population is estimated to be 10 billion by the end of the decade, though. To do that, the planet would have to go from a single medium-sized city to literally a thousand tokyos in the space of about four years.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2014, 11:25 »

I like this overall! I think you might've made a typo on the section for Renaissance where you said the population is estimated to be 10 billion by the end of the decade, though. To do that, the planet would have to go from a single medium-sized city to literally a thousand tokyos in the space of about four years.

True, keep in mind though that no one in Origin dies of old age, and there's a constant influx of new immigrants. Also, Foundation is possibly already approaching the size of Tokyo and its far from the only city on the planet. 10 billion might still be too high though, 10 million is probably more realistic. It might be a good number for the entire system though...hmm.

Gwen Ikiryo

• Omelette
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2014, 20:11 »

True, keep in mind though that no one in Origin dies of old age, and there's a constant influx of new immigrants. Also, Foundation is possibly already approaching the size of Tokyo and its far from the only city on the planet. 10 billion might still be too high though, 10 million is probably more realistic. It might be a good number for the entire system though...hmm.

Well, it's not even the population growth that I'm thinking of, per se - Although you would need a pretty insane influx of immigration to accelerate it to that degree, yeah. Rather, just creating the sheer amount of infrastructure that would be needed to support that amount of people in such a short time would probably completely destroy the enviroment. I mean, we're talking about developing the planet above and beyond modern day earth, here. There would have to be resettling of native life on a massive scale, reforestration programs that are probably difficult to imagine, and even then probably tremendous changes to the air and atmospheric composition just from the sheer number of humans breathing and going to the bathroom every day.

Not to even mention the pollution. At a steady pace, an ecosystem can adjust around human civilization, but at that speed?

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:13 »

Government of Origin Page is now up, its fairly barebones for now, but it includes all the essentials. I've got a working document which includes major cities, names of different people and businesses, and some geography, but I'm having trouble pulling it all together. I'd like to have at least a few more articles, or possibly flesh out the ones I have. This is definitely a big project, so if you'd like to contribute to it, send me a mail.
Pages: 1 [2]