Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the DED and the Sisters of EVE cooperate on audits of megacorps? (The Burning Life p 35)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Typos and Spelling errors in RP, or 'I like reaching for low-hanging fruit'  (Read 8056 times)

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

IMO this sort of thing is pretty weak RP.

Nearly all of our text RP channels are RP'd as audio.  If I type the word 'fantastic' incorrectly and this is pointed out IC, it doesn't even make sense? You think that's English we're reading on the IGS?

Likewise synonym or other mistakes could use a little handwavium from some people.

Chalk it up to your translator, or chalk it up to poor OOC typing.

If I can get your meaning I'm going to respond to -that- and not if you've typed a few wrong keys ooc for chrissake.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran

Some people like roleplaying people that like to nitpick?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind

If it's something that doesn't actually muddy the water, I agree.

On the other hand, someone using the wrong word entirely (or one that doesn't make sense in the assumed context of the statement), I consider those fair game depending on the context - for example, someone Morwen was talking to used a word in a case that made absolutely no sense, but given the things going on with the character in question it actually made more sense to poke at the use of the wrong word than to let it slide.

Typos that make it impossible to read and understand what you're writing are going to get pointed out IC and OOC by most, because it's a little difficult to RP with someone when iovn asevilvg vfl vlkv vetiubpomvi lituvaea aeivha.

You get the idea.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

iovn asevilvg vfl vlkv vetiubpomvi lituvaea aeivha.

Oh I'm having a lovely day actually Morwen. Thanks for asking!

On topic, +1 to Silas.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

I assume our fancy space tech universal translators can deal with all but the most -egregious- of typing and speech errors.

This shit irks me ooc to no end. 

I'll happily lose IC arguments on content and merit all the livelong day. Have been schooled and will continue to be schooled on many occasions. 

Grammar points aren't worth spit in a battle of rhetoric and ideas.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

Some people like roleplaying people that like to nitpick?

That's part of my problem is that what are they even nitpicking IC?  It's an AUDIO channel most of the time.

We're not even reading/ writing or speaking English IC.  Picking on grammar and spelling of all things just doesn't translate into RP well at all when you consider those things.

Lyn Farel

It's annoying when you are not even an english native, for sure. Or better to ban most non english natives out of RP altogether, simpler that way.

Otherwise I don't care much honestly. I blame the media ICly, translator, fluid router, whatever. It's a perfectly viable excuse. Most players do it.

Edit : What annoys me a little more is when people actually start to nitpick on a wrong choice of words (lexical mistake). It happens a lot for me and as much as I try to correct it, it's overwhelmingly embarrassing. Fortunately I have found that it actually can fit to the character that can sometimes use alien wordings, but hell. It's a lot less stressful when told OOC before.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2013, 14:41 by Lyn Farel »

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

It's annoying when you are not even an english native, for sure. Or better to ban most non english natives out of RP altogether, simpler that way.

Otherwise I don't care much honestly. I blame the media ICly, translator, fluid router, whatever. It's a perfectly viable excuse. Most players do it.

Edit : What annoys me a little more is when people actually start to nitpick on a wrong choice of words (lexical mistake). It happens a lot for me and as much as I try to correct it, it's overwhelmingly embarrassing. Fortunately I have found that it actually can fit to the character that can sometimes use alien wordings, but hell. It's a lot less stressful when told OOC before.

What would be your preferred way of being informed, if someone was going to let you know you were using a word wrong? Evemail? Something private and OOC like that?

Lyn Farel

OOC friendly way of telling me would be better yes. Sometimes people do it and it is appreciated.

I don't care if characters go for the low hanging fruit, if that is part of what they are as characters, though.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette

I'm sure I've done it before, but I agree that it can be a low blow to call out characters for spelling. After extensive RP with non-native English speakers, I've just grown used to misspellings and the occasional misused word. If there's something that is terribly confusing, I usually ask OOC for a clarification. I've also noticed that in RP, I try to type faster in order to keep the flow of the RP going. Especially in a venue like the summit where taking your time with a response can mean you're responding to something different by the time you enter the text. Even as an English speaker, this causes me to make a lot more typos than normal. Also, no spell-check in eve... :cry:

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod

^^^

Keeping up with conversation in real time by typing is hard hard work.  I'm usually working full time trying to brain vomit something appropriate IC and grammar takes a severe back seat. 

I've RPd with people who take 6 years to type the. perfect. sentence. every time in a chat setting and it can be incredibly frustrating.  I also think a little real time pressure keeps you on your toes with more 'real' responses. 

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer

It can be problematic, in that it can hit your credibility if you have pervasive typos etc, people will tend to take you less seriously. That's a separate problem from people deciding they need to correct you publicly and IC, ofc.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread

I mosty let typos and such slide, especially if the person regularly makes them.
But if I don't understand what is being said because of it, or if it's so funny I can't resist, then I will treat it as if the word was spoken that way IC, but only if that makes sense phonetically. Words sometimes come out of your mouth heavily mutilated IRL too. Sometimes, the person making the mistake does acknowledge the mistake, or "mispronunciation" IC before I even considered doing so. Sometimes I also acknowledge my mistakes, usually preceeded by a "/me clears throat > Ahem.."

While were on the subject, I can sometimes be one of the perfectionists Silas talks about, but fortunatly, I notice my many, many mistakes about a second after I press enter. I'm really not as bad at english as it seems, but I suck at accurate speed typing, especially when in busy channels or when adjusting part of a sentence and then posting it before reading the whole sentence again.
Fortunatly, people rarely point it out, so it's not really an issue for me. :cube:
-OOChé

Vaun Erryk

Using typos (or the fact that somebody's mother tongue isn't English) to try and win an RP argument, IG or on the IGS, is pretty fucking poor form, IMO. Particularly egregious is when a condescending grammar-correction post comes along, itself riddled with mistakes. If you're going to go for such low-hanging fruit, as the OP elegantly put it, without your own post being absolutely beyond reproach, Christ.

"Hah, you made a typo! What a berk you are, and I can use this to score RP points!" irritates me, but nowhere near on the same level as "hah you made a typo, what a berk you are and i can use this to scroe RP points".

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...

Ah, roleplayers.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5