Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sarum family is known for being the most belligerent royal family?

Author Topic: Discussion: Obe Prime  (Read 674 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Discussion: Obe Prime
« on: 05 Jan 2012, 01:36 »

Hey folks, quick discussion question for y'all.

I'm finally back to working on Senn's backstory, and I've taken a closer look at the planet where he spent his criminal days. Looking over the stats, Obe IV (the only temperate planet in the system) has a surface gravity of 11.3m/s/s, but an atmospheric pressure of 8.83kPa (Earth is, I believe, around 100kPa?).

As I'm trying to flesh out Senn's life, what would this do to the surface of that planet? It's a temperate planet, but what besides like, algae could survive with such little pressure, yet a higher-than-earth gravity level? Would colonies have to just be totally contained and pressurized?

Thanks in advance. :3
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Discussion: Obe Prime
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jan 2012, 02:46 »

I do believe that the stats aren't to be watched too closely (most of them are still pretty nonsense).

A neat little trick: Planet information is in Wollari's maps: Obe IV

[spoiler]Planet Type: Planet (Temperate)
Density: 4365.43 g/cm³ (almost thousand times as dense as the Earth)
Eccentricity: 0.162 (very circular, still significantly less circular than Earth's 0.01)
Escape Velocity: 14.374 km/s (Earth: 11.1 km/s)
Mass Dust: 1.424e+25 kg (about 2.5 times Earth)
Mass Gas: 1.954e+24 kg
Orbit Period: 1743 days (almost five standard years)
Orbit Radius: 3.241 AU (3.2 times further than Earth - and the Obe star is a hot F6 VI blue dwarf)
Pressure: 8.83 kPa (about the same as Earth's - at 55 km altitude, not breathable)
Radius: 9,200 km (little less than 1.5 times Earth's)
Surface Gravity: 11.228 m/s² (slightly higher than Earth)
Temperature: 299.13 K (slightly higher than Earth - due to thin athmosphere, assume runaway greenhouse effect and/or a very active volcanism/lots of uranium on the crust[/spoiler]

Well. If we run with those, the temperature is warm, likely you could still see live things there, algae and bacteria. I assume there's a whole lot of CO2 in the gas sphere, so a bit like the early Earth, except less light: The sun will not look like our sun, more like (bright?) star. Since it's pretty hot, I assume volcanic activity. Domed or covered farms with artificial athmosphere.

Or, make up your own stats. Specially the amount of heat compared to other stats make no sense, that thing is orbiting well beyond the asteroid belt distance, the sun isn't going to heat it up.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jan 2012, 08:31 »

Translation for you Senn; Planetary stats are still bullshit overall. Make up whatever story you want, you won't have to change a thing unless CCP actually makes a piece of PF about the planet or whatever that fucks over what you made.

Slightly off topic; was Senn always a criminal? I'm getting the impression he has not done a single day's worth of honest work :eek:

Jev North

« Reply #3 on: 05 Jan 2012, 10:30 »

If the planet is a thousand times as dense as the Earth, and is in the same ballpark regarding size.. it seems a mite strange that the surface gravity is so low. Haven't plugged the numbers into Newton's law, mind, but still..

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jan 2012, 11:18 »

Translation for you Senn; Planetary stats are still bullshit overall. Make up whatever story you want, you won't have to change a thing unless CCP actually makes a piece of PF about the planet or whatever that fucks over what you made.

Slightly off topic; was Senn always a criminal? I'm getting the impression he has not done a single day's worth of honest work :eek:

Yeah, that sounds about right.  :psyccp: Maybe I'll just keep the stats I like, I kinda enjoyed the thought of a planet that's physically beautiful - lots of bright algae and seaweed-esque flora - but impossible to live on for the human body, ergo the tiny, tiny pressure.

As for the second question, I'm not really sure how long the backstory will be (you can find it and read the whole thing if you're direly interested, its the Dance with the Devil thread in the EVE fiction bit) but in basic terms, Senn is the produce of a very unfortunate clerical error during the liquidation of the company that produced him. He was supposed to hit Obe Prime with a pre-registered contract to the Home Guard, instead it was accidentally deleted during the hasty removal of assets that follows bankruptcy.

In the State, no citizen ID and no contract for a tube child (in my fiction interpretation at least) means no job. If corpless people wanna eat, its either become a guri or emigrate.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you