Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the higher levels of space stations are restricted to the elite, with capsuleers occupying the very top decks? (The Burning life p. 73)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The dreaded IC/OoC divide, and in-game actions.  (Read 12860 times)

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
Re: The dreaded IC/OoC divide, and in-game actions.
« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2010, 18:27 »

Have you met Vieve? ;) <3

I might be misremembering, but wasn't it her spine and not her throat?
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Vieve

« Reply #46 on: 31 Aug 2010, 19:17 »

Have you met Vieve? ;) <3

I might be misremembering, but wasn't it her spine and not her throat?

Which time?

Er.

Nevermind.  Yeah, it was spine. Throat may have been after that, but I don't remember.  Stupid characters and their stupid assassinations and my stupid brain that keeps forgetting stuff and having to look it up in stupid notes.

But I think we're getting off the topic!

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #47 on: 31 Aug 2010, 19:30 »

I'm going to hope this doesn't just add fuel to fires, but I feel like I might as well add to the discussion...

There's always going to be a connection between IC and OOC events and chat. The only thing that really changes is the extent, strength, and breadth of the connection. Most of the time, its relatively thin.

The problem is that if you openly admit, "my character is a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter," I, and probably everyone else in the RP community, will keep that in mind when dealing with you. My character, and probably everyone else's, will regard yours with caution. Anything they say will be filtered through the knowledge that it's probably a lie. This isn't to suggest we're purposefully trying to break the fourth wall. The problem is, if I/we know your character is capable and willing to betray me/us for their own gains, its going to be hard to say, discuss personal matters; I/we don't WANT my/our characters to get screwed.

Similarly, if you show yourself as a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter, the OOC side of the players you're dealing with goes on the defensive. Because they, like their characters, know you're willing to betray them for your own gains, and don't want to get screwed over; moreso, because that affects THEM, not their character.

So, there's the problem as I see it. We may not be our characters, but we certainly care enough about them not to let someone ICly or OOCly cut our throats or theirs.

Yes, and herein lies the difference between RPG's IRL and MMOrpg'S, especially EVE.
IRL, the enjoyment of the immersion in what is basically an internal world, and sharing that experience with others in an RP environment, is important enough that wanting your player 'to win', well is not even part of the objective. In fact it becomes counter productive to the consensus goal of the game (to have fun by mutual immersion in an RPG).
In EVE, it seems almost the norm that the opposite is held true, that wanting your char to 'win' is more important than RP immersion and mutual enjoyment - this turns into wanting to 'win' as a player at cost of RP and immersion, and then in my mind the char just transforms into a sad little puppet to a players insecurity. Immersion is ruined
In an IRL RPG, wanting your char 'to win' and good mutual roleplay immersion have been, in my experience and I am sure a lot of others, mutally incompatible, because part of what makes RP fun is the successful putting aside of your IRL shit, and substituting it for the shit of some fantastically cool (or whatever) imaginary person.
Obviously I don't mean that in RL RP people don't want their chars to succeed, they may often compete with each other to the point of death, or the death of universes, I mean that they are not in competition with the other PLAYERS, so it becomes a bit antisosial to suddenly try to use OOC info to 'win' (although some sociopaths do seem to find this compelling).
On the other hand, in EVE - because of the nature of the game and also the medium through which it is played, it is not so blatantly sociopathic to compete with the other PLAYERS, and so is more acceptable to metagame, or use OOC info to 'win' IC.
For a lot of people, RPing simply means competing with the other players while pretending to be a toon.
For old-skool RP'ers, like me, this comes as a nasty surprise and it is difficult (but important) to remember that they are just playing a different game to you.
That is why the requirements for my corp are pretty much 'anything goes as long as the OOC/IC line isn't crossed' - because that is more important to me than 'winning' - I have learned I am in the minority with this though....
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 19:34 by deMangler »
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #48 on: 01 Sep 2010, 04:49 »

I'm going to hope this doesn't just add fuel to fires, but I feel like I might as well add to the discussion...

There's always going to be a connection between IC and OOC events and chat. The only thing that really changes is the extent, strength, and breadth of the connection. Most of the time, its relatively thin.

The problem is that if you openly admit, "my character is a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter," I, and probably everyone else in the RP community, will keep that in mind when dealing with you. My character, and probably everyone else's, will regard yours with caution. Anything they say will be filtered through the knowledge that it's probably a lie. This isn't to suggest we're purposefully trying to break the fourth wall. The problem is, if I/we know your character is capable and willing to betray me/us for their own gains, its going to be hard to say, discuss personal matters; I/we don't WANT my/our characters to get screwed.

Similarly, if you show yourself as a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter, the OOC side of the players you're dealing with goes on the defensive. Because they, like their characters, know you're willing to betray them for your own gains, and don't want to get screwed over; moreso, because that affects THEM, not their character.

So, there's the problem as I see it. We may not be our characters, but we certainly care enough about them not to let someone ICly or OOCly cut our throats or theirs.

Yes, and herein lies the difference between RPG's IRL and MMOrpg'S, especially EVE.
IRL, the enjoyment of the immersion in what is basically an internal world, and sharing that experience with others in an RP environment, is important enough that wanting your player 'to win', well is not even part of the objective. In fact it becomes counter productive to the consensus goal of the game (to have fun by mutual immersion in an RPG).
In EVE, it seems almost the norm that the opposite is held true, that wanting your char to 'win' is more important than RP immersion and mutual enjoyment - this turns into wanting to 'win' as a player at cost of RP and immersion, and then in my mind the char just transforms into a sad little puppet to a players insecurity. Immersion is ruined
In an IRL RPG, wanting your char 'to win' and good mutual roleplay immersion have been, in my experience and I am sure a lot of others, mutally incompatible, because part of what makes RP fun is the successful putting aside of your IRL shit, and substituting it for the shit of some fantastically cool (or whatever) imaginary person.
Obviously I don't mean that in RL RP people don't want their chars to succeed, they may often compete with each other to the point of death, or the death of universes, I mean that they are not in competition with the other PLAYERS, so it becomes a bit antisosial to suddenly try to use OOC info to 'win' (although some sociopaths do seem to find this compelling).
On the other hand, in EVE - because of the nature of the game and also the medium through which it is played, it is not so blatantly sociopathic to compete with the other PLAYERS, and so is more acceptable to metagame, or use OOC info to 'win' IC.
For a lot of people, RPing simply means competing with the other players while pretending to be a toon.
For old-skool RP'ers, like me, this comes as a nasty surprise and it is difficult (but important) to remember that they are just playing a different game to you.
That is why the requirements for my corp are pretty much 'anything goes as long as the OOC/IC line isn't crossed' - because that is more important to me than 'winning' - I have learned I am in the minority with this though....

The difference is that tabletop RPGs are normally co-operative in nature.   If one player acheives something, then all of the players benefit.

Eve on the other hand is competitive - if your character is to be successful in any meaningful way then it generally means that someone else's character will be unsuccessful.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #49 on: 01 Sep 2010, 06:24 »

And that is indeed the conundrum.

I'm still confused why we're still having this discussion, however. The convo in question was an effort to generate an IC agreement/cooperative effort to infiltrate and/or destroy an In-character organization and set of peaceful relationships.

Saying it was an OOC convo is a red herring. It's representative, intentionally or not, of angling going on in-character in an effort to generate bad blood.

Thus, it must and can be dealt with in-character.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 01 Sep 2010, 06:54 »

I fail to see how it is a conundrum. One can be competitive and still be amicable with their opponents.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 01 Sep 2010, 07:47 »

Selling T2 hardware to others at competitive prices is win-win in my book ;)

Taking this from the reverse approach, lets assume the discussion was entirely OOC and just some musings between to friends who are players (potentially even plotting).

Now, if I am a player who has invested time and effort into the ILF, MXD, or I-RED (in my case LDIS); my time, effort, and product is under threat OOC.  Characters do not build these entities and organizations, players do.  Destroying my ship and my pod is fine (very IC), plotting how you the player are going to utilize alts ("agents") and infiltrate and destroy the organization I have built is different from destroying all the organization's assets.

What do you propose the appropriate OOC action is?

Should the player with the OOC Intel send a mail to the plotter and say "Really would like it if you just stayed out of our affairs"?
The response is likely to be "This is Eve, it is non-consensual PvP, oh and by the way, your characters don't know about it!"

At this point, I am going to go ahead and assume that my organization is going to have an OOC security situation and all the characters in it are extensions of their players.  RP is out the window in order to ensure the security of what I and those around me have built.  The announcement on IGS is "my organization is removing itself from these IC/OOC ROEs and playing the game like the other 95% of larger community."

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #52 on: 01 Sep 2010, 08:17 »

OT: Let's not forget that, in EVE at least (and to varying degrees in other games), roleplayers do things besides drink in bars, as difficult as some folks might find that to believe. ;) We play the game, too, and we (mostly) do so IC. That means that roleplay isn't something we do apart from our gameplay; instead, we use it to add flavor to something we already like.

RP is the marinade for my MMOG steak.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #53 on: 01 Sep 2010, 10:43 »

What you're missing is that the question isn't if the information should have been released..

ITS THAT THE IC CONVERSATION SHOULD HAVE BEEN USED

I really don't know how to be any clearer

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #54 on: 01 Sep 2010, 10:51 »

I don't believe its a discussion that can be had under the backstage forum rules but I would encourage people interested in just how far the IC/OOC divide can be stretched to come and get involved in the Chatsubo topic I just posted in regard to something I saw earlier today.

http://www.eve-chatsubo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5628&start=0

Obviously do not discuss this topic on Backstage. My link is so people can talk about the issue on the appropriate forum.

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #55 on: 01 Sep 2010, 23:54 »

[mod]I'm putting up the same thing here I put in the other thread:If you can't address this issue here and stay in the guidelines, don't address it at all. Further moderator action here has a very good chance of resulting in warnings.[/mod]

deMangler

• Clonejack
« Reply #56 on: 02 Sep 2010, 03:50 »

I don't believe its a discussion that can be had under the backstage forum rules but I would encourage people interested in just how far the IC/OOC divide can be stretched to come and get involved in the Chatsubo topic I just posted in regard to something I saw earlier today.

http://www.eve-chatsubo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5628&start=0

Obviously do not discuss this topic on Backstage. My link is so people can talk about the issue on the appropriate forum.

Interesting example of exactly what we are discussing here, shows how crossing the IC/OOC line is a slippery slope for some people, even if it seems trivial in most cases.

One of the reasons the IC/OOC line is important is that IC we do or say things that would be completely hutful, immoral or illegal but it is ok because it is

a. pretend and
b. intended in the spirit of mutual fun.

Once the line begins to be crossed then those with experience stand back and say 'this is probaly gonna end in tears', while just letting the 'lol it is just internets,' people learn from the experience.

Anyone who has watched children play for any length of time regularly sees what happens when games turn into conflict when one childs imaginary loss turns into pinching and punching, and crying. It is the same dynamic - losing perspective. As an adult, intervene too heavily and you spoil their fun, intervene not at all and people get hurt. I guess that is part of the reason for the moderator heavy slant of this forum, unfortunate that it seems to be necesarry.
Ho Hum.
IC -: LS-RP
-------------------
OOC -:

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 02 Sep 2010, 07:12 »

I'm putting up the same thing here I put in the other thread:

If you can't address this issue here and stay in the guidelines, don't address it at all. Further moderator action here has a very good chance of resulting in warnings.

Just to clarify. I knew that discussion of this issue would be impossible within backstage guidelines - I was trying to respect your rules here by pointing to a venue where it could be logically and openly discussed. Is it actually against the backstage rules to suggest that the users of this forum could use another venue to talk about something important to our interests as a community and thus saving the moderation team here the necessity of unneccessary work?

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #58 on: 02 Sep 2010, 09:02 »

I'm putting up the same thing here I put in the other thread:

If you can't address this issue here and stay in the guidelines, don't address it at all. Further moderator action here has a very good chance of resulting in warnings.

Just to clarify. I knew that discussion of this issue would be impossible within backstage guidelines - I was trying to respect your rules here by pointing to a venue where it could be logically and openly discussed. Is it actually against the backstage rules to suggest that the users of this forum could use another venue to talk about something important to our interests as a community and thus saving the moderation team here the necessity of unneccessary work?

I think he was warning people to not bring that debate here but instead keep it on Chatsubo as he pretty clearly stated "If you can't have this debate here, don't." with the implication of "Have it somewhere else, like for instance where the link goes".

Don't be so defensive! :D

[mod]a comment relating to a removed comment was removed[/mod]
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2010, 11:31 by Louella Dougans »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
« Reply #59 on: 02 Sep 2010, 09:13 »

Fair enough, if I misunderstood his comment no problems.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5