Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Julianus Soter first stated his intention to liberate Federation space on December 4th, Year 111? See the announcement here

Author Topic: [Character] Namkhai Sin  (Read 1431 times)

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
[Character] Namkhai Sin
« on: 16 Aug 2012, 13:10 »

Name: Namkhai Sin
Date of Birth: YC 82.07.03 (Age 31)
Residence: Nalu - Domain - Kehina
Nalu X - Moon 4 - Ardishapur Family Academy
Background: Amarr - Khanid - Zealot
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Gray
Height:  6'1"
Weight: 174 lb. (79 kg)

Namkhai Sin is a soldier from soldier stock. Immersed early in war games, training ops, and Khanid martial arts, he has had neither the time nor the desire to cultivate the social consciousness shared by many other capsuleers. First impressions often mistake his frustrating single-mindedness and resentment of small-talk for hostility, but this is rarely the case. It is safe to say, however, that it is difficult for him to make close friends. Sin is a theological hyper-conservative and ultra-traditionalist. Growing up distant from the bureaucratic milieu of the Amarr holder families has given him a wary disdain for mainstream Amarrian religiosity, and, while it would take some leverage to get him to admit it, finds the Theology Council distastefully lukewarm and politicized. It remains rarely discussed, but long-term associates know that he considers the Moral Reforms to have been a mistake and the office of Emperor to be perverted, and is deeply skeptical of the supposedly supernatural nature of Jamyl Sarum's return.

Sin has an extensive pre-capsuleer military history, and served as an officer both planetside and in space during the Defiant incursions. Remarkably soon after the coronation of Empress Jamyl I, Sin was provided with the opportunity for capsuleer officer training within the Imperial Academy by minor holders of House Ardishapur who began to consider him a political asset. Though not dead-set in his support of the family, he finds them a convenient ally and the most agreeable of the political bodies in the empire.

Sin maintains deep ties with the religious and martial traditions of the Khanid bloodline. His practice of Amarr religion is profoundly informed by local Khanid liturgy and hagiography, which tends to make him stand out in community religious settings. His demeanor is somewhat ascetic, and he maintains something of a distance from his new (and considerable) financial assets. Philosophically, he considers the Reclaiming to be a priority, but has little interest in race relations and can be accused only minimally, if at all, of true xenophobia. His priorities lie, first and foremost, in combating heretical factions occupying Amarr space, particularly the Blood Raider Covenant, Sansha's Nation, and the Equilibrium of Mankind.

Imperial politics are a continual thorn in Sin's side. He finds Uriam Kador to be flaky and off-center, Catiz Tash-Murkon to be decadent and earthly-minded, is thoroughly suspicious of Aritcio Kor-Azor, and, truth be told, finds Yonis Ardishapur largely arrogant and unpleasant. While supportive of the 24th Crusade in principle, Sin is currently employed primarily as a security operative in the systems surrounding Ardishapur Prime, where he finds his skill set put to appropriate use, and enjoys relative freedom of expression with regard to his disappointment in the Empire's current power structure.

((I am very, very open to suggestions and revisions. I'm still quite unfamiliar with the nuts and bolts of the PF and have minimal in-game RP experience, so feel free to take this apart. I'm concerned about this character being emotionally unflexible and narrowly motivated, but I might just have to see what happens in practice.)
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2012, 14:52 by Namkhai Sin »

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
Re: [Character] Namkhai Sin
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2012, 14:48 »

* ArtOfLight steeples hands and adopts a maliciously devious grin.

Eeeexxxxxcellent! We have much to discuss...

* ArtOfLight schemes.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2012, 14:53 »

* ArtOfLight steeples hands and adopts a maliciously devious grin.

Eeeexxxxxcellent! We have much to discuss...

* ArtOfLight schemes.

:D

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2012, 00:22 »

After some thought and reading, I'm think about orienting Namkhai a little bit more in the direction of the Khanid Kingdom. I had considered it previously, but was deterred for two reasons: I supposed the Khanid bloodline and political entity to be completely distinct, and I supposed that, as a religious zealot, he would have a tough time in the more secular Kingdom. I'm starting to re-think that. From what I understand, the Kingdom has been historically rather supportive of the conservative wings of Amarr religion, keeping close ties with Ardishapur and housing the Order of St. Tetrimon. For a character that is starting to be modeled on real-world Sedevacantists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism) and Old Believers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Believers), I'm starting to think it might not be such a bad choice.

Any input? I know there were a few Kingdom-oriented corporations in the past, but are there any active at the moment? Should I start training missile skills?!

Thanks. :)

ArtOfLight

• Retired Combat Pilot
  • Omelette
  • Bright Stars, Clear Horizons
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2012, 04:33 »

Well, the corp I'm establishing today obviously won't be Kingdom aligned but there's no reason a Kingdom aligned individual couldn't be a member of it if their outlook and viewpoints matched the corp's.

As for missile skills? If you're planning on flying Khanid, yes.
"A man's courage can be measured by what he does, his wisdom by what he chooses not to do and his character by the sum of both."

Red

• That Flighty Broad
  • Clonejack
  • Live every week like it's Shark Week.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:37 »

My Gallente gal, Red Miromme, is going to find Namkhai and ask him ALL OF THE QUESTIONS regarding his views on Amarr culture.

Just so you know XD

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:49 »

Well, the corp I'm establishing today obviously won't be Kingdom aligned but there's no reason a Kingdom aligned individual couldn't be a member of it if their outlook and viewpoints matched the corp's.

Okay, cool. I'm having a feeling, just so you're aware, that he might radicalize out of any Empire-based corporation he belongs to within a year or so. Not sure what I'm going to do with that yet.

My Gallente gal, Red Miromme, is going to find Namkhai and ask him ALL OF THE QUESTIONS regarding his views on Amarr culture.

Just so you know XD

Oh gosh! He's probably not the best person to ask (if only because I'm far from the best person to ask) but I'm itching for some more IC interaction. c:

Ilsenae Alexandros

• Adjutant of the Wiyrkomi Honor Guard
  • Clonejack
  • Tea Maker
    • Eskeitanen Wiyrkomi Kaashivon
« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2012, 20:57 »

Okay, cool. I'm having a feeling, just so you're aware, that he might radicalize out of any Empire-based corporation he belongs to within a year or so. Not sure what I'm going to do with that yet.

Just so you know XD

Oh gosh! He's probably not the best person to ask (if only because I'm far from the best person to ask) but I'm itching for some more IC interaction. c:

Its situations like those that, for me, spur me to flesh out my character better. But that's just how I tend to play. Others like to get stuff like that decided beforehand. You may find it helps you bring greater depth to your character by having questions posed to him that you yourself never thought to ask. :)

Namkhai Sin

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2012, 21:57 »

Just so you know XD

Its situations like those that, for me, spur me to flesh out my character better. But that's just how I tend to play. Others like to get stuff like that decided beforehand. You may find it helps you bring greater depth to your character by having questions posed to him that you yourself never thought to ask. :)

I'm finding that myself, too! A couple days ago I had a little exchange that made me think a lot about the character's perspective on the development of immortal capsuleers and the decline of faith in the cluster. I've been mulling over it quite a bit.

I would be really interested to hear some input on the idea of making him a Royal Khanid Navy officer, or at the very least a Kingdom citizen. I'm going back and forth on this a lot. I can certainly see someone with a conservative fringe theology staking out in the Kingdom, but after reading a couple chronicles it seems like loyalty to Khanid II would fly in the face of this character's value system.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2012, 06:34 »

Somehow the Khanid Kingdom may be one of the weirdest mix between ultra conservatism and liberalism. The best to keep in mind is probably that the Kingdom follows a pragmatic Faith (vs the idealistic Faith of Amarr).

To caricature a little the main difference is that the emphasis is put on God for the Amarr, where it is actually put on the King for the Khanid.