Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Adventures of White Lightning" is a Gallentean soap opera.

Author Topic: Investigation on Jennifer Starfall  (Read 1151 times)

Letos

Investigation on Jennifer Starfall
« on: 06 Jan 2015, 14:08 »

"This is Zainou Corporation, Pakkonen, stand by for clearance."

Haria Haritimado slowed her shuttle down and accepted the transmitted vector. The Zainou Biotech Research Center was quiet impressive. Not because of its dull colors, odd shape, or size. But its history and importance to the region gave the young capsuleer some disquieting feeling. Even though Haria had some good references from the Science & State Institute, the House of Records, and the Caldari Navy, they let her wait for more than a full hour before landing clearance was finally granted. After a thorough security check and instructions regarding facility safety rules, a corporate agent lead her to the Legal Affairs Office. Another hour passed by. Time to reflect. Opposite to Haria's comfortable sofa, centered on a black wall, the monumental portrait of a mid-aged man was displayed. The phrase "He's still around with us!" crossed the lower third of the picture. The man's name was Todo Kirkinen, the first who had successfully transfered his mind completely into the sea of digital information. Disquieting indeed.

At last, a non-descript company employee took care of the capsuleer. A handsome man. Haria wondered, if he was also a tube child like herself. His face was perfectly drawn for the covers of coporate advertising material.

"We received your message and understand so far, that the Science & Trade Institute is interested in one of our older product line individuals. A... Starfall 12-2 case. I hope it's not about claims for compensation again, we've got those legally clairified already. Firmly and sincerely."

The man led the capsuleer down the hallway into a multi purpose office with a nice planet view. But Haria didn't bother. Both made a good match, at least on the first look. Haria wore a blue administrative dress of the STI, formal and subtle. A good blend in the cold office atmosphere next to the corporate suit.

"No. Starfall 12-2 has become a relevant asset in some of the STI's affairs. Sadly, her security status has become a little annoyance. I'm investigatin a classified case and need information on her criminal background, including CONCORD and any corporate files you would kindly disclose."

The man returned a surprised look.

"Is that so? So, why don't you just make a formal request to CONCORD?"

"I'would like to keep the profile low. I just need some information on her personal background and I don't want to risk any information to leak. Especially since it could propably cause some officials to knock at your door again and start everything over."

"What are we talking about? This asset has turned its back on the State since quiet a time."

"I need to make contact and I like to be prepared."

Haria was risking just another rebuke from the STI, but she didn't care for the moment. She wasn't straightaway bluffing, but she was bending her competences and mission a bit or two.

"Look, Sir, she's defected to Nullsec and beyond. You know how capsuleers are. I don't have the time to make a big fuss about it. Just give me your intel on this special asset and I'll be off in a minute. This Starfall capsuleer did enough damage to Zainou, I understand. Right? In return, I'll keep in touch with you, should any further progression bring up some possible troubles for Zainou."

Jennifer Starfall

• Egger
Re: Investigation on Jennifer Starfall
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2015, 14:59 »

Shin Matako stopped outside the Director's office to compose himself. At a nod from the Director's assistant, he entered the office.

Shin made his way through displays of implants, body mods and even some full bodies towards the Director's desk. If it wasn't for the sense of pride he felt in Zainou's achievements, he probably would've felt some degree of disgust. He stopped a proper distance from the Director's desk and waited until the Director acknowledged him.

The Director, his chair turned towards the panoramic window behind the desk, gazed down on Pakkonen IV, letting Matako wait. After what felt like an eternity to Matako, the Director finally asked dispassionately, "What does the STI representative want?"

Matako cleared his throat. "She's looking for information on the Starfall 12-2 line."

"That's not a retail line, Mr. Matako."

Matako felt his stomach knot at the fait, but noticable to an experienced employee, disapproval in the Director's tone.

"Send her away and..."

The Director stopped as a synthetic voice interrupted, "Hold."

The Director turned his chair around and stared at his display, his normally dispassionate expression replaced by one of surprise and trepidation.

"Analysis of the Starfall 12-2's survelliance records indicate a significant probability of neural map optimizations requiring confirmation."

Shin and the Director both nodded silently.

"Director, read Matako-haan into Project Starfall. Matako-haan, you will obtain confirmation of Starfall 12-2's current capabilities."

Shin swallowed his surprise and stammered, "What are the the uh... operational limits?"

"None. You will use all means necessary to gain the representatives trust and obtain verification of any interface efficiency gains and neural-map optimizations present in Starfall 12-2."

Silence stretched on for several minutes, until the Director pulled up the necessary files. "The Starfall Project was initiated..."

Letos

Re: Investigation on Jennifer Starfall
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2015, 13:37 »

Waiting, always waiting. A machine could enter pending mode any time. A machine was progressing throughout time, but it was not counting time. Unless, of course, you would call the precise increment and decrease of atomic energy levels counting. Haria waited for the Zainou agent to return. Again she sat opposite to the giant wall painting of Zainou's founder. Haria was not a machine. She was counting time with a human attitude. Or was she? She was impatient, which was a bad sign. Impatience came with the awareness that she was propably doing something wrong. Something, that was not approved by the ingrained obedience toward higher authorities. Pictures of her being arrested on the spot flashed up in her mind. Totally exaggerated and not quiet fit for the actual situation. Another bad sign. Things were changing.

When the Zainou agent Shin Matako returned, he showed the most pleasant smile imaginable. Haria realized it for what it was: just another bad sign.

"Ms. Haritimado, please excuse the inappropriate delay! Supervisor and legal consultant both see no reason not to support your request. So, I'm happy to let you know, that we will provide you with information necessary to assess Starfall 12-2 properly. We have a strong interest in supporting the Science & Trade Institute in their efforts."

Haria nodded unimpressed so far. Maintaining the etiquette was crucial. Showing any surprise was not professional.

"Excellent. I thank Zainou corporation for its good will."

Shin Matako nodded as well and continued:

"We would really appreciate if you offer us any information about the current Starfall 12-2 capabilities, though. Do you think you can comply to this bidding?"

"Information on her capabilities?", Haria asked back.

"As we assume that Starfall 12-2 has been acting on its own for quiet a long period of time, we would like to estimate deviation and conformity compared to the original model profile."

Haria gave a careful nod. She did not even flinch when the agent implied that Jennifer Starfall was a 'model', a individual within a process line, a member of a laboratory cohort, a thing. MAybe the agent would talk in the same impersonal way about Haria, the moment she left the room. Just like Jennifer, Haria was a tube child and never learned to really care about this. Instead, Haria was just listening to the agent's intentions regarding Starfall 12-2.  There must've been a catch with this. But what was it?

"Of course. I don't see any problem here."

Only a few minutes later she was back in space again. Zainou space traffic control wished a warm friendly goodbye. Then, Haria was sucked into warp space, heading toward an upcomming meeting with this specific 12-2 model labeled 'Starfall'.