Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Jove Empire is isolated from the rest of the world to all but a selected few? read more here.

Author Topic: Dev blog: Eve Fiction! A note from a professional Liar  (Read 1288 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire

Not read it yet, but it has stuff about chronicles  :D

Link is here: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=3406
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2012, 13:02 by kalaratiri »

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Dev blog: Eve Fiction! A note from a professional Liar
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2012, 16:45 »

To mirror my post in the response thread: An interesting read and good to know that Abraxas and the rest of the crew are working on stuff. Sadly, though, a lot of things in that dev blog continue to reinforce my feelings that the new combined content/fiction "team" - inasmuch as 3 devs and a ton of volunteers can compare to some of the larger teams out there - is chronically (pun fully intended) overworked. Here's hoping CCP finds the cash to add some more persons to relieve some of that.

EDIT: As I was writing the post in the actual response thread, I realised it could sound like I was bashing the efforts of Mercury and ISD. This isn't the case at all - rather, it's been made apparent to me the bottleneck in volunteer fiction production is having it fact-checked by paid devs to make sure it fits. Solution to me seems to be "get more devs."
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2012, 16:56 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2012, 16:25 »

IMO it's the volunteers that need to be fact checking the devs.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 03 Feb 2012, 16:31 »

Quite possibly. I wouldn't be averse to seeing the volunteers be the brought in to the new Fiction positions for a bit of fact-checking.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #4 on: 03 Feb 2012, 19:01 »

Quite possibly. I wouldn't be averse to seeing the volunteers be the brought in to the new Fiction positions for a bit of fact-checking.

Far as I see it, it's needs to be something like this;

The volunteers to do the over-sight/create new fiction content need to look over all PF material ever released. There is much, but not ot much, so this should not take long. Then they fact-check everything any anytime they find things that don't add up or PF that contradicts other PF they take this to whoever in CCP is in charge of dealing with this. This should ofc be someone who gives a damn about it's consistency and solidness as a reliable source of PF 'facts' and information, as well as getting stuff properly labeled as IC or OOC only info for the player's ease of handling. Whenever the volunteers create any new PF or has ideas they write it out etc and present this to the CCP staff they answer to; THEY - CCP - give the final say in what is to be relied on as 'fact' in PF and what get's added etc.

And so on, you get the picture. The reason for this is, volunteers are all likely to be players with vested interests in the game and as such a bias towards or for whatever. Thus they can be relied on to wish to present opinions as facts, changing said opinions to facts in their own right, thus pushing forth their biased ideas for how stuff should/do work in an In-universe sense.

Obviously we can't have this; the only party's whose bias we should heed is CCP. They made it, they own it, they hold the right to change it at whim. Allow me to provide an example for you all.

Fed vs State war. The Caldari Prime blockade/bombing/invasion. Far as PF is concerned no conclusive statement anywhere states that it was the intention of the Gallente to exterminate [commit genocide on] the Caldari, but PF info says they may have wanted that in that they did bomb the planet, had a biased government hinting to the act themselves, and a couple other factors. Same factors also states it may have been their intention to simply bomb all military hardware of the face of the planet then move in and assume control - PF states NOWHERE what exactly they intended, it merely states what they did, players are left free to argue whatever case they want, and this, while creating competition and friction between player-characters leads many to hold to whatever idea they like, and if anyone of these volunteers and motions to, say, 'freshen up' these PF pieces we might end with a definitive answer to this, and many other PF pieces that are ambiguous and unclear by design.

I would appreciate getting PF tidied up and lose ends fixed, I'd really love more PF and clearly labeled IC/OOC info so that new players don't end up getting stuff entirely wrong and messing up their RP and/or interactions with others. I would NOT want to see PF tailored to support whatever biased argument players have created for themselves on behalf of their toons, however. Let's leave it to CCP only to decide what is and what is not 'fact' from the OOC pow.