Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ANN, Rebooting, Etcetera  (Read 5209 times)

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
Re: ANN, Rebooting, Etcetera
« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:09 »

I may submit something if I have time / inspiration, don't take that as a promise though, because either / both may be an issue. I'll read the site though, that's good right. I can't recall if you had an RSS feed, think you did as it has a Wordpress backend, right? Google Reader is saving me TONS of time.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:43 »

One MuckRaker is enough.

why's that ? gives people stuff to talk about, doesnt it ?
\o/

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:01 »

As far as external submissions go, it'll be hit or miss. Quality control is a big thing, peoples' writing styles vary greatly. How much work you have to do on your end, versus how much of a person's original work material is left, will affect the relationship.

The vast majority of Freelance stuff that came through last time was excellent, and only required minor tweaking (Spelling, occasionally grammar) as well as verification of sources. I don't really feel comfortable twiddling with original material past correcting things, so if there's something I'm not happy about, I'll usually send it back to the author with a query or something.

The root of the issue then just seems to be actively maintaining and keeping the project going, which has its own host of problems in itself. I don't know how much players will invest into it, as a pirate I would probably personally use it as a dead drop method. Cloak hints of whats going on in news articles so particularly savvy players could investigate, for instance.

Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:21 »

As far as external submissions go, it'll be hit or miss. Quality control is a big thing, peoples' writing styles vary greatly. How much work you have to do on your end, versus how much of a person's original work material is left, will affect the relationship.

The vast majority of Freelance stuff that came through last time was excellent, and only required minor tweaking (Spelling, occasionally grammar) as well as verification of sources. I don't really feel comfortable twiddling with original material past correcting things, so if there's something I'm not happy about, I'll usually send it back to the author with a query or something.

The root of the issue then just seems to be actively maintaining and keeping the project going, which has its own host of problems in itself. I don't know how much players will invest into it, as a pirate I would probably personally use it as a dead drop method. Cloak hints of whats going on in news articles so particularly savvy players could investigate, for instance.

It's purpose is a borderless, independent source for the free exchange of information. So actually, yeah, that's a valid use.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:33 »

Been waiting for it to come back, can't wait to see what comes up next. I still enjoy listening to my raging voice on the vent logs.  :cube:

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2011, 15:21 »

Serpentis Scum

/rp

Welcome back to activity, guys. You've been missed. Also, I'd be happy to write stuff, if I can think of an IC reason that Mammal would ever work with you guys. Or perhaps I can write something under one of my alts.

A suggestion:

Run the ANN much like Much Raker (who is a fantastic character), and post small news items directly to the IGS instead of a dedicated website? People could submit stories to you still, and just post them all from the same character to IGS?

Would flood the IGS with topics that will come to irritate people. Weekly highlight stories might be a better idea, where a particularly note worthy story is posted for attention grabbing / advertising.

What, people are irritated by Muck Raker? It's one of the best things on IGS.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011, 15:25 by Mammal Tafren »

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2011, 15:35 »

Serpentis Scum

/rp

Welcome back to activity, guys. You've been missed. Also, I'd be happy to write stuff, if I can think of an IC reason that Mammal would ever work with you guys. Or perhaps I can write something under one of my alts.

A suggestion:

Run the ANN much like Much Raker (who is a fantastic character), and post small news items directly to the IGS instead of a dedicated website? People could submit stories to you still, and just post them all from the same character to IGS?

Would flood the IGS with topics that will come to irritate people. Weekly highlight stories might be a better idea, where a particularly note worthy story is posted for attention grabbing / advertising.

What, people are irritated by Muck Raker? It's one of the best things on IGS.

Well, again, the site itself isn't under direct control of anyone in particular. The only filter we place on content is good writing and worthwhile reporting. Alts are also perfectly acceptable, as are pen names and pseudonyms.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you

Saxon Hawke

• Omelette
    • Free Intaki
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:01 »

Milo,

I was talking with Levi's player yesterday and mentioned that you guys were thinking of rebooting. He said you should send him an e-mail. He hasn't played Eve since the summer, but he's interested in writing more articles if you want them.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2011, 22:09 »

Status check?

I am wondering what the status is in order to help out build awareness of what folks are up to.

Will there be weekly digest (scroll text length) on IGS?

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2011, 04:09 »

Between work and trying to get ANSH back on it's feet I've not really had the time to run this.
I did drop mails to a whole bunch of people a few weeks ago, but they've either not replied or not come through with articles.
Now I've got a more free time, I can start putting a little more work into it.

I'd encourage interested parties to drop me a PM/EVEMail about this.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2011, 16:11 »

*Update

Alright, because I love the site from the bottom of my heart, I'm going to break the cardinal rule I set for myself earlier on, which was "don't write all the articles yourself" and "don't just write fluff." I made these mostly because I felt hearing fluff stories from the same reporter over and over would diminish the site, but I don't want to see it die from lack of updates.

I'm going to endeavor to have new articles for y'all on a weekly basis, and I encourage anyone with an interest to produce their own articles to do so; we accept 500-word quick articles, if they're up to editorial codes, we have room for any genre, and there's no obligation, so don't be afraid to submit.

I'd also like to hear some suggestions on what people like to hear about in their news. We might restructure the format in the future, so if there's a new column type you'd like to see, give us some shout-outs.

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
Will never happen to you
Pages: 1 [2]