Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Maroon is the color of death for the Sani Sabik? (The Burning Life, p. 45)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: How I hate IC flamewars.  (Read 9725 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: How I hate IC flamewars.
« Reply #45 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:47 »

I find the opinions about how horrible galnet is and how its the reason you never go there anymore a bit melodramatic. It's a public medium to voice opinions and ideas; expecting everyone to reply with care and in an non-confrontational manner is unrealistic. Blaming other people for your wasted time because you decided to read every post is irresponsible and just plain silly. Unless you're new, you KNOW what you're getting into when you open a thread.

Only you can control your own behavior. Worry about your own responses and give attention to people that make quality replies.

Gonna go with Kaleigh on this one. What else do people expect from that sort of medium?

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #46 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:58 »

Gonna go with Kaleigh on this one. What else do people expect from that sort of medium?

How about people not using obvious sock puppets? Is that really so much to expect?
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #47 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:59 »

Hate to back that up but its funny noting half the matari I've ever met look matari with crazy haircuts, tats, goggles etc while all the Amarrians turn to eve meets more smartly dressed.  Actually a large number of the Amarrians (including myself) look like they've never had to worry about food a day in their lives either ;)

That said many of the biggest douchebags on IGS are the nicest people you could meet irl :)

That could generate an entirely new (and FASCINATING) thread, hmm.

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 08 Mar 2011, 14:38 »

How about people not using obvious sock puppets? Is that really so much to expect?

I guess the use of obvious alts detracts from the immersive feeling of RP?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #49 on: 08 Mar 2011, 14:45 »

I don't spot this often in the threads I pay attention to, or maybe it's my lack of perception. But yeah not using it would be better.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #50 on: 08 Mar 2011, 16:01 »

While I don't personally enjoy some of the pedantry, specifically when people attack my vocabulary or sentence structure, I can't control how other people respond to my posts. You can't control other players using Alts to support an argument; just because a number of people opppose your point doesn't mean you've 'lost' the debate/discussion. As Silver alluded to in his post, a goal should be taking opportunities to present your viewpoint, not trying to win internet forum debate.

The political climate in the real world is not without similar cries for civility and open dialogue, but censorship is still censorship in the end, no matter if it's for good reasons or utilized for nefarious purposes. While I may not agree with everything said, I feel that censorship for the sake of improving the quality of the landscape of discussion is a slippery slope argument that leads to elitism and control of ideas,and I can't abide by that...virtual or otherwise.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2011, 20:58 by Kaleigh Doyle »

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 08 Mar 2011, 16:46 »

[mod]Please take any detailed discussions about RL politics and such to new threads, thanks.[/mod]

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #52 on: 08 Mar 2011, 20:59 »

Edited.  :P

Ooh, my first warning. I feel all tingly.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #53 on: 08 Mar 2011, 21:41 »

That's not actually a warning but thanks :)

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #54 on: 09 Mar 2011, 13:03 »

I could write a small threadnaught on the topic, or possibly a large one given time and motivation and sufficient boredom at work.

The perpetual flame wars and more directed attacks are symptoms of several things that almost led me to run screaming from EVE RP when I was first introduced.

The first and foremost is people constantly trying to “win” rp. So we get a lot of attempts at “gotcha!” moments during debate, rather than actual attempts to prove a point on way or another. The goal is to look good and sound smart and hope that people will assume you’re right if you just score more points than the other guy. RP just for fun seems to be largely absent, and when it does appear it attracts minimal attention.

Next up is the IC/OOC divide and the fact that in many cases, we only get to know someone IC and start to dislike them OOC based on IC behavior. So we end up with OOC dislike between IC enemies which them further motivates us to make out enemies look like idiots – or at least call them idiots and hope that we sound smart enough when we do it that people will think we’re right.

This is probably the greatest contrast between EVE RP and RL RP – I was in a larp where people were actively trying to kill my character, and then afterwards we all went out for dinner and had a great time. In eve, the intensity of IC conflict is the same, but without the OOC relationships to temper it, resulting in genuine OOC dislike and ill-wishes based on IC actions. As I already said, OOC dislike then leads to IC attacks.

Not that it’s impossible to justifiably dislike someone OOC – based on OOC actions, etc. I can think of people that I actually like a great deal more IC than OOC. But again, the problem is in allowing that OOC dislike to influence IC actions, leading to flaming in various forms.

I coulda sworn I had a third point, wtf was it…

I’m sure it’ll come to me. I found it amusing that the first three responses to this thread were essentially exactly what the OP was complaining about, it’s not limited to IGS - this is the internet. Ah well, I enjoy irony greatly.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #55 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:39 »

Pretty much that yes.

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #56 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:51 »

There are very few people I've taken an instant OOC dislike to, but I try to keep IC/OOC sepperate.
As far as I'm concerned Dossie IC & me OOC are totally different people. IC Dossie hates Esna, OOC, I think he's a numpty and kinda funny, so I like him.
IC Dossie is enamored with another person's alt, OOC I'd not deal with them wherever possible.
It's a difficult balancing act, but I've done RL RP with people I personally dislike but my IC personality likes them.

Sometimes people start flamewars because they're OOC jealous or don't like you and don't give their IC persona time or reason to get to know your char IC. Sometimes it can be over something minor - well, most of the time, really - and other times it can actually be a proper issue.
I stick by an old principle: people are idiots until proven otherwise. That way, you're never disappointed with anyone.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #57 on: 09 Mar 2011, 15:59 »

I agree with Dossie that the IC and OOC line is very significant here.

What I get annoyed with is repetitive arguments (like I used to have with Hussain before I got bored).

However, the line between IC and OOC stuff is highly significant.

IC, Mammal wouldn't be a fan of the KPV, for example, but OOC, I think they're neat.

Same goes for Anshar.

Knowing the people behind these groups OOC can be really healthy to keep that divide strong, in my opinion.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #58 on: 11 Mar 2011, 13:39 »

I don't spot this often in the threads I pay attention to, or maybe it's my lack of perception. But yeah not using it would be better.

Ive noticed two kinds of sock puppets.

The first is the sock puppet that is used to back up a mains argument, popping up in all the mains threads, agreeing with the main and flaming adversaries. It says the things that the player wouldn't want associated with the main.

The second type is one that seems very constructive, and is far from being a troll. It pops up and is used as a "story hook" to try propel a mains story in a certain direction. It posts, usually the start of a new thread and there is some "RP" between it and the main, and then is never seen again.

The second type is the most annoying for me. If you want to tell a story, write a story in which you have total control over all the charters and then post it in the story section of the forums.

Revan Neferis

• Sani Sabik
  • Wetgraver
  • God's Banker
« Reply #59 on: 12 Mar 2011, 18:43 »

IGS flame wars is much better now. Been worse, a thousand times worse.
What has to be seen is if it's just a fast change of moods or if this "improved version" will be carried as a new start to the new forums.
And as many people already stated, only issue that seem to be growing is obvious alts sometimes doing full threads talking to themselves. Creating an alt to improve a plot can be justified once in a  while but the way alts have been used is going a bit overboard in my view.
Still it's not the kind of rp that causes IGS to be CAOD level, it's just dull and a bit too boring to become interesting.
So all in all, I see a positive improvement there.
Erotic Evil: Sexy and Dirty, Dirty Rich.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5