Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Dam-Torsad is the Amarr Imperial City and capital? Read the chron!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: How I hate IC flamewars.  (Read 9747 times)

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
Re: How I hate IC flamewars.
« Reply #30 on: 08 Mar 2011, 00:47 »

I like debate, but I rarely even comment on Intaki topics anymore because I find the repetition and mud slinging tiresome.

I hope I haven't contributed to that.  I always enjoyed the thinly veiled mutual loathing our characters had going on  :D  It'd be a shame if, after I get back in game, I couldn't entice you into a round of steam venting.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #31 on: 08 Mar 2011, 01:15 »

I like debate, but I rarely even comment on Intaki topics anymore because I find the repetition and mud slinging tiresome.

I hope I haven't contributed to that.  I always enjoyed the thinly veiled mutual loathing our characters had going on  :D  It'd be a shame if, after I get back in game, I couldn't entice you into a round of steam venting.

No, no, no, Simon. I OOC goddamn love you.

I

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #32 on: 08 Mar 2011, 02:41 »

Oh, I see.

We bicker ICly because we're the exact same OOCly.

What a surprise. I haven't said that on the last ten threads like this one or anything.

Huh?

There's some resentment in AI about some of the foam and rage that's repeatedly come our way IC, as well as some amusing if particularly poor arguing. I don't really think we're in a position to criticise at the moment though, as we're guilty of similar things, as well as responding to a lot of it.

New IGS posting policy ftw  :D

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #33 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:00 »

Oh, I see.

We bicker ICly because we're the exact same OOCly.

What a surprise. I haven't said that on the last ten threads like this one or anything.

Huh?

There's some resentment in AI about some of the foam and rage that's repeatedly come our way IC, as well as some amusing if particularly poor arguing. I don't really think we're in a position to criticise at the moment though, as we're guilty of similar things, as well as responding to a lot of it.

New IGS posting policy ftw  :D

So are you saying that the IC anger and poor argument has come from me?

Cause I'm not sure that's true.

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:07 »

No, no, no, Simon. I OOC goddamn love you.

Oh!  That's very flattering  /blushes
Formerly Simon Coal.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #35 on: 08 Mar 2011, 05:55 »

So are you saying that the IC anger and poor argument has come from me?

Cause I'm not sure that's true.

Course Not, but it's come from people within your corporation and your IC allies previously. I assume that there's a tendency to go 'guilty by association' without thinking sometimes.

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #36 on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:40 »

vOv

There's all the various puppet alts too, to drum up publicity, or to argue points.

It's even more tedious than old debates.

This.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #37 on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:42 »

[mod]There seems to be very little constructive discussion going on in this thread. If that doesn't change, probably going to lock it.[/mod]

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #38 on: 08 Mar 2011, 06:55 »

You mean pear-shaped???

But seriously, it's a lot better nowadays than it used to be. Yes, including that.

(All the obvious alt usage is pretty pathetic though)

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #39 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:18 »

Well, its a topical point to raise and I'm sure it'll cause some contention.

But with the newest ANSH thread, I've actually been enjoying the IGS for once. I'm surprised how much worthwhile and reasonable discourse arrived once I forced myself to speak on purely corporate terms and ignore the people begging for another flamewar.

I don't know, maybe it's a sign that things can change if we make an effort. Obviously some rivalries will always run deep when it comes to IC interaction, Matari/Amarr and all that. But, eh. Maybe all it takes is a strong will.

I'm sure my cynicism will kick in again in a few days, don't worry. XD
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #40 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:25 »

If we all made it a point to only threaten people we are actually willing to shoot at (or get other people to shoot at), we'd all be the better for it...

This is pretty much the policy I use, and it is the reason why, even though I read the IGS often, I never post there. There is plenty that I dont agree with, but I dont respond.

Now that I am in a non-rp corp and alliance is is zero need for me to enter into any discussion on IGS ... WTB more RP :(

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #41 on: 08 Mar 2011, 07:50 »

Person A: I think X
Person B: I agree
Person C: You are wrong
Character D: Yeah, C's right!
Character E: Absolutely!
Character F: Looks like A and B are outnumbered, heh!
Person C: F knows the truth!

C,D,E,F are all run by the same player. D,E,F only ever turn up to back up C.

:|

Character A: So I heard that B is a really cool/ebil dude who doesn't afraid of anything
Person C: Smells like publicity campaigns
Person B: Not me!

A and B are run by same player. Occasionally A will be biomassed following the post
:|

That sort of stuff goes on all the time.
It's particularly bad, in my opinion, when the player does not even attempt to deny it, in some cases they even boast of it.

so many times people's interest sparks and then a big pile of disappointment arrives when the puppet is revealed.

:(
\o/

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #42 on: 08 Mar 2011, 08:13 »

I'll try to link the study later, but some psychologists said that when it comes to Internet etiquette, the United States and most Western European nations tend to show the most controversy, due to blatant flaming stemming from individualism, while in nations like India and Japan, comments online were much more calm and focused on proper behavior. Possibly going back to collectivist attitude v. individualistic attitude. Thought that was interesting.

So if you find one of the few hundred Indian or Japanese players on EVE, try calling them a name and see where it goes!

Referring back to IC interaction, I feel that OOC personalities are directly attributed to IC characters, even when you're agnostic and your character is a Rodj Blake.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #43 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:08 »

Referring back to IC interaction, I feel that OOC personalities are directly attributed to IC characters, even when you're agnostic and your character is a Rodj Blake.

Hate to back that up but its funny noting half the matari I've ever met look matari with crazy haircuts, tats, goggles etc while all the Amarrians turn to eve meets more smartly dressed.  Actually a large number of the Amarrians (including myself) look like they've never had to worry about food a day in their lives either ;)

That said many of the biggest douchebags on IGS are the nicest people you could meet irl :)

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 08 Mar 2011, 13:35 »

Just consider the threads on IGS television shows. Odds are that you're not gonna like most, and most are rehashing the same old stuff again. Still, a lot of people seem to love these rehashings. So, just change the channel, do what you love and don't get all worked up about 'all the crap they show on TV these days' and watch for the next gem to come out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5