Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That naturalist cafes on space stations go to great lengths to create the illusion that one is not in space? (The Burning Life, p. 62)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts On Corporation Idea?  (Read 2616 times)

Jace

• Veteran
Thoughts On Corporation Idea?
« on: 17 Sep 2014, 14:50 »

I am curious what people think of a corp idea. A primarily political corp that not only is involved in the inter-empire politics but also has a heavy storyline focus of trying to affect change within their own empire towards certain political opinions, goals, or viewpoints. Obviously we cannot really effect empire news or actions in EVE, but it may provide some interesting storylines. The in-game shipping of activists or immigrants to different locations to coincide with plans, spreading of propaganda, that sort of thing. It is a concept a bit similar to the various humanitarian corps that have existed throughout the years, but instead of humanitarian it is attempting to be a political machine.

Thoughts?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Thoughts On Corporation Idea?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:02 »

What'll be the in-game activity besides transporting... stuff?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:14 »

What'll be the in-game activity besides transporting... stuff?

If it grew to the point of being able to be effective, there would also be combat, logistic, or resource support for those in conflict that coincide with the ideals put forth. If it did not grow to that point member-wise, it would have to be limited to resource support and that sort of thing. The main downside to the idea is that if it did not grow progressively over time it would end up being just another glorified vanity corp similar to all the humanitarian corps.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:19 »

Certainly has potential as a concept, but you'd need to ensure the politics in question are both desirable yet not already filled by other entities of that faction that already has the in-game action segment already covered (I-RED as a quick example, even though their political activism isn't exactly huge).

People will gravitate to the corps that are fun to play in first and foremost, with the politics and fluff coming second, so you'll want to make sure you initially can offer small group activity (guerilla fighting, whatever) as well.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:21 »

Certainly has potential as a concept, but you'd need to ensure the politics in question are both desirable yet not already filled by other entities of that faction that already has the in-game action segment already covered (I-RED as a quick example, even though their political activism isn't exactly huge).

People will gravitate to the corps that are fun to play in first and foremost, with the politics and fluff coming second, so you'll want to make sure you initially can offer small group activity (guerilla fighting, whatever) as well.

Yeah, that is the other significant problem. I-RED and CAIN can fill virtually any need the average Caldari player has except for FW. So attracting people will be difficult. Especially with how little time I have to be in-game. Part of the attraction for me is that it can provide a slightly more meaningful 'shell corp' until I have more time to do serious recruitment drives and that sort of thing. I can write articles, get a regular website going, etc.

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2014, 15:25 »

I beg to differ that us players have no influence on empire news and action in EVE. Sometimes all it takes is a little inspiration, and a small leap of faith.

Regarding you idea of this sort of corp, I would gladly welcome any new Caldari RP corp :)
Might even be interesting seeing what sorts of stuff said corp can do with, say, I-RED.
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:08 »

I beg to differ that us players have no influence on empire news and action in EVE. Sometimes all it takes is a little inspiration, and a small leap of faith.
QFT.
Also, a glorified vanity corp has its perks.  :P
-OOChé

Lyn Farel

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:25 »

Regarding you idea of this sort of corp, I would gladly welcome any new Caldari RP corp :)
Might even be interesting seeing what sorts of stuff said corp can do with, say, I-RED.

Dev actors are back ?  :eek:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:26 »

Well that was either the fifth of february or the second of may, so I'd say the place is hoppin'.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:31 »

Note the year: 2013.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:34 »

Note the year: 2013.

Was talking about now. Things happened when CCP cared no ?

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2014, 16:40 »

Let us not turn this thread into a bittervet thread. Actually looking for peoples' thoughts on this idea, here.

Dessau

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2014, 17:51 »

... a heavy storyline focus of trying to affect change within their own empire towards certain political opinions, goals, or viewpoints.

This is more or less what I am driving at with PHAST, except that it is limited to internal Federation policy. It has proven very difficult to use in-game resources (and blogger) to turn GalMil pilots against one another in order to make a socio-political statement.

I'm not certain, but I think on the other end of the spectrum, Laurentis Thiesant is doing something similar (grassroots democracy vs direct action).

It's something I'd certainly like to see more of from empire capsuleers, putting the squeeze on existing notions of authority.

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2014, 18:27 »

It has proven very difficult to use in-game resources (and blogger) to turn GalMil pilots against one another in order to make a socio-political statement.

The first thought that pops into my head on this is because, in my experience (I could be wrong), Gallente roleplayers do not tend to identify with the different political factions as much unless they are raving UNats. Whereas many Caldari roleplayers refer to their parent corp frequently or their political bloc.

Also, it may be hard to have conflict on the winning side. As far as FW is concerned, the Feds are so dominant there may not be that inherent tension.

Utsukushi Shi

• Achur Temptress
  • Egger
  • Chuku Dansei
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2014, 19:29 »

I think it is a good, if somewhat vague idea. My suggestion would be to put some effort into finding an area that would provide the skeleton for it. Like instead of just saying "I'm trying to influence the entire State" pick a constellation that looks interesting and zero in on a more local scene.
Sometimes one wants to get caught...
Pages: [1] 2