Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mind Clash is a hugely popular sport throughout the cluster, and is centered on the willpower of two opponents? Read more here!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The dreaded IC/OoC divide, and in-game actions.  (Read 12821 times)

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
Re: The dreaded IC/OoC divide, and in-game actions.
« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2010, 02:55 »

:roll:

It happens, would have been interesting to see how it turned out in the end.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #31 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:00 »

It's no worries. I'm over it.

Since there's really nowhere else for my character to go, I'm dropping the RP bit altogether and going back to 0.0. It was entertaining of nothing else.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #32 on: 31 Aug 2010, 05:21 »

Since there's really nowhere else for my character to go, I'm dropping the RP bit altogether and going back to 0.0. It was entertaining of nothing else.

My suggestion is not to shelve the entire charater, but lay low and concentrate on some of the in space stuff. use the time to develop the charater in light of the recent storm and look at what RP you can do that compliments you in space actions.

Maybe plot some truly epic revenge on those who ridiculed you (IC of course).

You have a fairly entertaining, and somewhat unique in the RP scene, charater. It will be a shame to never see him again.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #33 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:12 »

Well seeing as how there's not many places in the RP community I really want to go to, there's really no place to develop. I'm going to TEST and I'm gonna kill shit with my old brosefs for a while.

Who knows, maybe I'll let shit calm down and come back. The big thing is that RP is secondary to my enjoying the game. I'm not going to join a place because it fits my character, I'm going to join it because I want to be there. I figure out what I want to do and where I want to go and I RP to make it make sense.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #34 on: 31 Aug 2010, 06:24 »

That is pretty much my approach.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:08 »

Yeah, that probably sucks for your character and stuff, but don't think we're all against you OOC. Lots of people hate SF, IC and OOC, so that has more to do with the reaction than anything else.

This. Casiella-c can't stand Jade Constantine for many reasons, mostly for being a public blowhard who seems more in love with violence than with the actual motivating ideology, where they're closer than either would admit.

Casiella-p thinks SF looks like a fun organization, and while Jade does get a tad verbose, has no sort of animus toward Jade or SF overall, because that would be ridiculous.

Jekaterine

• Like the wind
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
  • Wandering the halls of Chatsubo
« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2010, 07:18 »

Yeah, that probably sucks for your character and stuff, but don't think we're all against you OOC. Lots of people hate SF, IC and OOC, so that has more to do with the reaction than anything else.

If people in a game hates me OOC for my ingame imaginary views in an imaginary organisation then I pity them and hope they seek the help of mental health professionals.

On the IC/OOC divide my view is that if you're in doubt you ask your counterpart. If the answer to that question is unsatisfactory you cut the conversation short and figure out another way of doing whatever you planned to.
Quote from: Ciarente the beatific, patron saint of moderators big and small
ban ban ban

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:43 »

I don't know how you get much more clear than saying at the beginning (( ooc please if you don't mind ))

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #38 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:43 »

If you contact someone OOC and arrange to do something in-game that would have in-character consequences, then it can be assumed that an IC conversation took place as well, since otherwise how would the arranged something actually happen?

Having said that, CAOD might in theory be a more appropriate place to post OOC logs etc.   But then again, does anyone really want to see what would have happened if Andreus had made his post there and not IGS?
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 08:47 by Rodj Blake »

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #39 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:26 »

The entire point that is being missed is that:

There was an IC chat log and an OOC chat log regarding the exact same event, but the OOC logs were posted in lieu of the IC ones. If you want to slap my name up and say, "Hey look! He's trying to spy!", use the IC logs, not the OOC ones.

I don't understand how this is such a difficult concept to understand

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #40 on: 31 Aug 2010, 14:37 »

If you want IC logs, it's your fault for not having an IC convo. If you aren't a part of the convo IC, expression of your knowledge is metagaming. If you are indirectly involved, put on your creativity hat and come up with some RP.

OOC channels are sacred, so are ((brackets)) and priv convos or evemails with an OOC disclaimer. CCP agrees. If you post logs from any of these onto IGS, CCP mods will delete it.

Pretty clear cut and dry.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #41 on: 31 Aug 2010, 15:32 »

It's even as simple as using the "Someone needs to get laid" remark IC.

Seriphyn is the LAST person you would use such an insult again, I can't help but think it's directed towards the player.

Besides, people refer to Seriphyn as "you", and can't make the distinction between me and my character.

Overall I think people are pretty sucky at keeping the divide, including myself.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #42 on: 31 Aug 2010, 16:57 »

Overall I think people are pretty sucky at keeping the divide, including myself.

This is true across games, communities, and generations. RPers generally have far more difficulty with IC vs OOC than any of us would like to admit, including about ourselves.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #43 on: 31 Aug 2010, 17:27 »

I'm going to hope this doesn't just add fuel to fires, but I feel like I might as well add to the discussion...

There's always going to be a connection between IC and OOC events and chat. The only thing that really changes is the extent, strength, and breadth of the connection. Most of the time, its relatively thin.

The problem is that if you openly admit, "my character is a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter," I, and probably everyone else in the RP community, will keep that in mind when dealing with you. My character, and probably everyone else's, will regard yours with caution. Anything they say will be filtered through the knowledge that it's probably a lie. This isn't to suggest we're purposefully trying to break the fourth wall. The problem is, if I/we know your character is capable and willing to betray me/us for their own gains, its going to be hard to say, discuss personal matters; I/we don't WANT my/our characters to get screwed.

Similarly, if you show yourself as a pathological liar and an opportunistic backbiter, the OOC side of the players you're dealing with goes on the defensive. Because they, like their characters, know you're willing to betray them for your own gains, and don't want to get screwed over; moreso, because that affects THEM, not their character.

So, there's the problem as I see it. We may not be our characters, but we certainly care enough about them not to let someone ICly or OOCly cut our throats or theirs.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 31 Aug 2010, 17:59 »

So, there's the problem as I see it. We may not be our characters, but we certainly care enough about them not to let someone ICly or OOCly cut our throats or theirs.

Have you met Vieve? ;) <3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5