Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that small, portable credit scanners can be used for facilitating personal transactions? (p. 90)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unusual RP angles: Serpentis Edition  (Read 4793 times)

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
Re: Unusual RP angles: Serpentis Edition
« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2011, 22:16 »

Serps working with Sansha is roughly as sensible as trying to drink out of the wrong side of a glass.

If the world becomes a utopia, where will they find troubled youths to sell drugs to or criminals to hire as planetary agents? That is unless there was some fragment of the corporation that expected the Sansha to fail, therefore were selling tech to them with the assured result that they would keep the money, and their customers and the evidence of the deal were blown up by capsuleer forces. But considering the toasters seemed to whip eggers pretty good for a time, that seems like a stupid investment.

Do toasters even use money? I would have expected them to be using like, Big Daddy Kuvakei Fun Dollars by now. It's not like he's selling arms to anyone now that he's been given the image of a transmogrified cyborg mastermind in the public sphere. So what kind of economic influence do they really have?

Come to think of it, if Kuvakei's vision of the future is realized, capitalism will no longer be a valid structure for society. So in working with the Sansha, Sarpati would be destroying everything he built his life's foundation upon as the owner of an R&D corporation.

If anything, the Serpentis would stand to make a killing in the green collar economy if they gave someone else a fighting chance, which would give some sort of validity to the concept of them assisting the Federation or fringe elements fighting against the toasters. But working WITH or FOR them? No evidence, no logic, and no gain for what is essentially the greediest Mega in the world.

An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2011, 23:17 »

The Serpentis have business interests in drug production, illegal implant technology, and the cloning markets (recalling off hand). These are three categories that would to a Sansha, make them desirable for business. Unlike the Angel Cartel, who is in direct contact with the Nation's borders, the Nation has no reason to oppose the Serpentis outside of them being Angel allies. I may be missing something here, but nothing alarm worthy comes to mind. (Colony suicide pills might be a reason if that ever gets expanded upon as Serpentis)

There is the ideological angle to consider, but down to business the Sansha would have a place for the Serpentis' business - just not how it gets out into the public.

It's possible in my mind for the Serpentis to find motivations to work for the Nation, but they'd have to overcome their current business with the Angels. In an end game scenario if the Nation is winning, for example, I could see the Serpentis turning.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #17 on: 01 Mar 2011, 06:04 »

Serpentis relies on the current structure of EVE society. Sansha's structure of society is very different to what currently exists, ie. the concept of "markets". If 90% of the world are going to be True Slaves, that only leaves 10% as the True Citizens, and even they won't be concerned with such things like capitalism, they'll be too busy pursuing the next evolutionary step of mankind.

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #18 on: 01 Mar 2011, 06:47 »

Serps working with Sansha is roughly as sensible as trying to drink out of the wrong side of a glass.

So a good idea when you have the hiccups?

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #19 on: 02 Mar 2011, 01:24 »

No hate, I'm just making a point on the sensibility of the two factions working together. It's been brought up as a potential more than once.

I would assume that as a massive corporation, the Serpentis wouldn't invest in a client if it meant they wouldn't get anything in return. Admittedly, the Sansha have a broad scope of technology including WH generation, which might be useful in the long run for the Serpents. But the fact is that if the battle turned in Kuvakei's favor, I severely doubt he'd just let the Serpent employees just occupy the remaining 10% of space that wasn't part of his utopia. And even if he did, the global economy is no more; there's no society left to function on monetary value generating human greed.

If anything, I might attribute all this speculation to individual cells or commanders of the Serpentis taking one-time jobs for a quick buck, or going against Sarpati's orders - the Seven might even be to blame, using the speculation to paint the Serpentis as Sansha sympathizers to hurt business.

For that matter, it's not like even if the Serpents were willing to help the Sansha out, the toasters would need the help. Up until the incursion nerf, all I remember for their campaign report is a couple carriers lost in exchange for stomping resisting forces in the nuts, opening a private WH, and abducting enormous numbers of civilians despite capsuleer efforts. I think they're doing fine without minor support from an R&D company.

Kuvakei was a Caldari at some point, not to mention a weapons developer. I think he'd be wise enough to know there's no point cutting a deal if you're not getting your money's worth.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Orthic

• Wetgraver
« Reply #20 on: 04 Mar 2011, 14:13 »

Pinning down the Serps seems a lot harder than most factions. There are a couple really easy generalizations out there, but they really don't seem to fit.

On the one hand, you have the simple drug dealers motif - a bunch of heartless, profiteering bastards preying upon society, selling drugs to kids, etc. This seems to be how most people view the Serps if they don't bother to look closer.

Next you have the research aspect - selling drugs is a way to profit from it, but at its core, the corporation was founded for cutting edge R&D and became "outlaw" when their research went beyond what society/law permitted. There really isn't a real world comparison, as the resources required for such research in today's world require that you be in a major industrial country under the rule of law or even funded/run by the government.

Then you have the pure business aspect. Oops, I just bought ORE. All your miners are belong to me. Things like control and manipulation of legitimate markets, just like any other corporation.

Hard to find a simple way to describe them, then, unless I’m missing something obvious – a distinct possibility.  Comparisons to the mafia seem apt, if incomplete. I suppose the distinction between the Angels and Serps could be similar to that of the Italian and Eastern Eurpoean/Russian mafias – though which is which would be a matter of debate. Perhaps if you crossed the mafia with Pfizer and removed some of the corporate stupidity?

Orthic IC is pretty strictly a businessman, only associated with the Serps for backstory reasons that were partly out of my control – not that I regret the decision to pursue them in the slightest. I have, however, had some ideas for fun stuff you could do.

Rehab Center – perfect place to gather information on the impact of your product on your customers, while providing a valuable service and making lives better. And really, it’s a Serpentis-run Rehab. My sense of irony almost demands that I make it happen.

Welfare/service system. Think Hamas in Palestine. The entire world considered them terrorists, but they won local elections in a landslide and took over. Why did they have the local support? Because within Palestine, they were known for helping people out – simple things like driving them to the store/doctor/etc, providing services, whatever the people needed. So, set up an operation providing human services and get the entire local community to love you, despite the fact that the world thinks you’re a dirty drug dealer.

Pure researcher – just trying to make the best human you possibly can, in ways that the law might not approve of. See thread discussing body mods.

Booster addict trying to get better prices by working for his supplier, or make a buck by learning to deal as well as use.

Pages: 1 [2]