Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Rogue Jovian General incident years ago sparked Tech 2?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: ENOUGH Already.  (Read 9791 times)

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
Re: ENOUGH Already.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:30 »

OP, I interpret you to be saying "I want everything and you want it now!"

This thread will definitely be worth reading more thoroughly when someone gets moderated. 

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:32 »

Hopefully, we'll (continue to) get some worthwhile material in here without any need for overt moderation.

Vikarion

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:34 »

I do back up my words with action - I'm a Caldari RPer, and so I fight for the State in FW. What's wrong with that?

Not creative? Not innovative enough? Not enough of a splinter group? Meh. I really like the idea of the State and its culture, and I'm sticking to it.

Arvo Katsuya

• Noble Appliance
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:43 »

Hmm. TS-F has taken action with some humanitarian efforts on an overlooked problem in the cluster, which came with moderate success. :)

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2010, 13:51 »

Can we please stop with the stupid IGS banter?

Can we please stop with arranged marriages...I mean wars?

Can we make RP actually mean something in space without all the stupid threats met with NOTHING?

Can we accept the fact that RP means more than aligning with a faction on some forums?

Can being an RPer in EVE be more than just stroking a character sheet here or Chatsubo?

Where the fuck is the substance. Look at the casualties so far. CAIN, gone. CVA, gone. Stimulus, gone. Achur seperatism, gone. 

I mean seriously. Where is the beef? Hot air is not a substitute. Are we all finally that jaded? Is RP in EVE now entirely text based? Zork - in - space?

If your going to whine on here at least get your facts straight.  CVA is not gone and neither is CAIN.

As for the IGS, it's nothing but a giant measuring stick for us all to compare our penis sizes against these days.  Everybody needs to realise that mine is the biggest and then we can get back to what really matters; enjoying ourselves and getting lost in the story.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2010, 17:13 »

For the record, I like the IGS.

Yeah, it can be a wank, but it's highly entertaining. That's how I first got to know who the significant people are, by reading IGS.

It's also a good chance for me to establish who Mammal is, which I think I've done.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2010, 20:02 »

If I run into another RPer (only happened a handfull of times, but I digress) it falls against the backdrop of how empty, vast, and barren space is, especially in under-populated lowsec. Its more appreciable for its realism.

Who's to say you haven't? When you pass by some blockade runner who's doing everything he can to avoid that Abaddon whose pilot has a -10 security rating, how do you do know he's not roleplaying?
We are and it sucks to lose a full Deep Space Transport to a HIC.   :(

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2010, 21:53 »

and neither is CAIN.

I wish that were so. :(    Ladel decided RPers in general and Caldari RPers specifically are losers and that his corp shouldn't be associated with them.  A few of the old timers do a little lite RPing once or twice a month and they also get the new RPer who finds them via google but they don't seem to last long.  I suspect most of the current member base don't even know that CAIN was ever a role playing corp. 
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2010, 21:59 by Hamish Grayson »

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2010, 00:50 »

My interpretation of the OP is that the type of RP in Eve is not the problem, but that the OP has not yet found a type of RP, or group of people to engage with, that he/she finds fun or stimulating or compatible with what they are looking for.

I felt the same for most of my capsuleer career.

People engage on the IGS or in space or in bars the way they want to, and the way they enjoy playing the game or RP’ing. The REAL challenge in Eve RP is finding some people with the same in game play style and RP style as you to engage with.

This doesn’t always mean these people are members of your own faction, or members of the faction you want to oppose.

EDIT: I think I agree with the OP in many ways, but it doesnt mean the other forms of RP which I dont enjoy are not valid. I just choose not to engage and ignore a lot of the persons and corps.

I also agree with Senn above regarding his view that IGS should be reactionary, but it does also server the role as a place where you can shout out "I stand for X, come pew me if you wish".
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2010, 01:40 by Graanvlokkie »

Bong-cha Jones

• New Jin Mei
  • Egger
« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2010, 04:36 »

I mean seriously. Where is the beef? Hot air is not a substitute. Are we all finally that jaded? Is RP in EVE now entirely text based? Zork - in - space?

Eh.  I have an hour or two, four or five days a week, to actually log on and play.  No time for wars.  Besides, most of my rp is being a foil to the ILF, and that manifestly involves countering them on the IGS so that that all the (baseline) people in Placid who follow along don't just get the IPI version of things.  And I think I'm correct in saying that if either of us starts shooting at the other, we'll both have lost something.
Formerly Simon Coal.

Random Lost Soul

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:22 »

Achur seperatism, gone. 
If you see an RP niche, fill it.  Run with it.  As to the other points, you can't make other people RP the way you believe they should.  Bring the fight to them.  That's all you can do.  Show them the error of their ways instead of telling them.

Actions speak louder than words; I think that's what you're trying to say.  I 100% agree with that statement.

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2010, 17:03 »

And I think I'm correct in saying that if either of us starts shooting at the other, we'll both have lost something.

No matter how much we disagree, the IPI would never shoot at Simon just for disagreeing with us. That would be entirely against our principles. Most of the people we kill are non-rp pirates.

Bacchanalian

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2010, 19:39 »

Stimulus still here last I checked.  We just stopped caring about RP when RP targets stopped being willing to shoot back.

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2010, 21:23 »

For me, what happens in text is far, far more important than what happens in space. The reason for this is simple:

There is no in-game support for a good portion - I'd suspect more than 75% - of my RP. For example...

- There is no way to show Esna's overwhelming hatred for Blood Raiders. -10 standings to the Covenant? Just means I've shot a bunch of their ships; I could just as easily be a mission jockey who only cares about ISK and for whom the standings are just a by-product. 'dec every Blooder corp/alliance/player in existance? Yeah, because that would really hinder their operations. [/sarcasm] Make an corp/alliance dedicated to hunting Blooders? I've lead corps before. The massive logistical, interpersonal, and diplomatic coordination required wasn't as much fun as just rolling out each day for pew.

- There is no way to show Esna's distaste for those who abuse their slaves. Again, how am I supposed to show this in game? 'dec anyone who does so? [See above] For that matter, how am I even supposed to tell without defaulting to text?

- There is no way to show Esna's sadness for the crew who die when his ship explodes. Even if/when Incarna comes around, what exactly will I do to show this? Make Esna have a sad face (assuming we can put on facial expressions)? How does that show 'sadness for crew killed'?

- Even RP channels suffer from this - the reason we have handwavium like the Interbus and private shuttles is because it's difficult for people to actually fly to places like Amarr, Goinard, and M-MD3B to get a drink.

The point I'm trying to make is that if RP is supposed to be about being more than just an internet pixel spaceship shooting other internet pixel spaceships, if it is supposed to be about developing a nuanced, multifaceted character and interacting with other nuanced, multifaceted characters (which is what I believe, feel free to disagree)... then in my opinion, text will always come before space actions. You may feel free to make your in-space actions match your in-text actions, but since (for me) text defines far more of Esna's character than his ships do, I will regard text as more important than space.
If you have an idea as to how we should make our in-space actions reflect in-character actions more, please - suggest away.

/rant. Apologies if any of that came out as hostile.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2010, 21:52 »

The frustration doesn't stem from what we can and cannot express on the IGS. It stems from the lack of anything interesting, important, productive, engaging, worthwhile, or game-enhancing content that comes out of the IGS.

All the things you just mentioned are what I would call "worthwhile" parts of your character. Do they all belong on the IGS, stated in lengthy, hostile threads? Probably not. Should you throw every opinion your characters have at every thread that disagrees with your character's views? Not unless you want to make him look like a fanatic screaming at shadows.

So, no, there's nothing wrong with you expressing the aforementioned opinions. But getting into internet spaceship pissing matches doesn't contribute Jack Q. Diddly to the RP community.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4