Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rogue Drones are drones that operate outside of human control, pursuing some mysterious goal of their own?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Sorry, where did the storyline go? [raegwarning]  (Read 8251 times)

Syylara/Yaansu

• Egger
Re: Sorry, where did the storyline go? [raegwarning]
« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2010, 12:20 »

I've recently taken some liberties with the state of Mordu's/Ishukone in the Intaki system.

As for the rest of it, I too am interested to see the next development :9.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2010, 13:57 »

Crosspost this on EVE-O? Perhaps Dropbear will spot it?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2010, 14:00 »

Don't forget Abraxas/Hjalti (who runs the Storyline team overall now).

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2010, 18:12 »

They are lurking here most likely too...

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2010, 18:36 »

They are indeed lurking here, but I think I'll get around to mirroring this post on EVE Fiction for an official response, as they did for Slave Heavenbound02 and whatnot.

As a nitpick regarding the differences between the storyline team and Mercury, is the trial of the guy who sold drugs to colonists...now, that's an official storyline news item I believe, since it's not written by an ISD, but that's not the only way you can tell that.

The trial is taking place in Luminaire, when it has no reason to other than the storyline team going "Oh yeah, Luminaire's like Fed capital innit". It would make more sense to take place in Villore, or even somewhere in Solitude where the original matter started...no reason at all for it to take place in Luminaire...

But it's little things like that where you can spot the differences

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2010, 20:46 »

The Scorpion is still the "new ship," despite TonyG.

The Creator's Rod, rather than being recovered or otherwise followed up on, has had references to its theft stripped from the Achur bloodline description. This may or may not constitute a stealth-retcon.

The Achura have also been part of the Caldari State for 300 years, though the State has existed for a little less than 200.

CCP's storytelling in Eve has always been a little spotty and inconsistent, and, if I know GM's, everybody's coming in with their own ideas and their own storylines to run. Old plots are abandoned due to reassignment or ennui, and no one wants to take responsibility for wiping them up.

It's not a huge surprise: it's a huge universe, different people keep having different ideas about the undeveloped (and even the developed) bits, the "storytellers" seem to be chronically understaffed, and there's most likely always another million pieces of flavor text to be written for any new content. Keeping all of that coordinated, much less that PLUS a pile of ongoing storylines, has got to test the sanity of the people doing it.

Really, I'm just guessing, but I'd have to say, "get used to it," guys. Unless CCP decides to prioritize this stuff to the point where given a storyline, once begun, must proceed to its conclusion before any more can begin and before those working on it are given other tasks, this is likely to be an ongoing state of affairs.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2010, 14:08 »

It was the epic inconsistency of the lore that kinda killed the tabletop they were making of EVE, which was supposed to be out by now.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2010, 14:11 »

I've dabbled at writing a consistent world taking into account player actions for a 70-or-so member live action game, played every couple of weeks or months. I can assure everyone it's hell of a lot more work than you'd assume. These guys have a 23/7 game with tens of thousands of players. I don't even want to think about the headaches it'd give me. I'm glad they get paid. :D

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2010, 21:45 »

Except that the storyline of Eve NEVER has ANYTHING to do with anything any player does.

It exists within a vacuum apart from all of us.

When we were allowed to participate it was as extras in a carefully scripted scene, outcomes agreed upon as a condition of the event's approval in the first place.

Remember, the only moments where the EVE ever actually advanced were only allowed to happen when the players were forcibly kept from logging in. When we are present, change literally isn't permitted.

The only way the PF changes or grows is when the PF itself (and the folks who are allowed to tinker with it) does so. Each attempt results in confusion and no conclusions, even though it is so tightly controlled.

Even in such a untouchable state, it still can't get it's static self organized. All of the complexities you mentioned are not present.

Sorry, just wanted to make that clear.
However, I don't share the rage some folks do.
I accepted a while back that EVE is not a dynamic world. Come to terms with it, and you can focus on affecting the things that you actually matter in: your own stories.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2010, 21:53 by Graelyn »

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #24 on: 12 Nov 2010, 22:35 »

CCP doesn't care because it has nothing to do with the next expansion. Oh, and they don't care about us.

This.  Those Arcs were part of the FW expansion.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:05 »

Except that the storyline of Eve NEVER has ANYTHING to do with anything any player does.

It exists within a vacuum apart from all of us.

When we were allowed to participate it was as extras in a carefully scripted scene, outcomes agreed upon as a condition of the event's approval in the first place.
From my attempt to allow 70 players reasonable amount of control in a situation where I had weeks to work out the consequences and if what they intended fit the world and/or changed it somehow, I am not surprised this is all they can do for us now: we get to make our own stories as long as we keep the power-level low enough that it does not require GM input, and we get a minor role in CCP-made ones. It really is more work than most people who RAEG about this realize, I suspect.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:24 »

CCP doesn't care because it has nothing to do with the next expansion. Oh, and they don't care about us.
This.  Those Arcs were part of the FW expansion.

Which begs the question if it would even be possible to significantly change anything about the post-10.06YC110 state of affairs (at least on the Gal-Cal side of things) without shutting down the FW gameplay mechanic.  I have a feeling that titan is going to orbit Caldari Prime along with that unfinished new station and the Provists are going to run Caldari foreign relations for a long time yet...

Quote from: Graelyn
the only moments where the EVE ever actually advanced were only allowed to happen when the players were forcibly kept from logging in
Sadly, we haven't even seen that since the Apocrypha release.

Quote from: Aria Jenneth
The Achura have also been part of the Caldari State for 300 years, though the State has existed for a little less than 200.
Yea, what a stupid error.  This really cheesed me off when I started writing descriptions for factions and bloodlines for Iconocracy.  There are a couple date screw ups like this in the PF blurbs and snippets.

Elsebeth Rhiannon

• Omelette
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2010, 04:34 »

Oh, btw: you can provably successfully bug report obvious inconsistencies in PF (such as the Achura timeline).

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2010, 06:22 »

I accepted a while back that EVE is not a dynamic world. Come to terms with it, and you can focus on affecting the things that you actually matter in: your own stories.

I realize this might be a devil's advocate stance here (it is a rage thread after all! ;) ), but I always saw this as a feature in Eve. It is a sandbox game. We get to make our own stories, as opposed to "just" participating in what CCP comes up with. Entertain ourselves with the tools provided.

I have tabletops for when I want to tell grand world-changing stories, so I'm quite content to play "just another capsuleer, trying to live a life and make a difference" in Eve. And the thing is, I can make a difference in my corp, my alliance, our little corner of space. :)

Regarding the topic, storylines left hanging in the air can be annoying, but I think I'd personally still like to get some storylines (even if they sometimes get left unfinished) than none at all. Is there a way to bring such things left hanging to CCP attention? Chronicles get their comment threads, but how about news items?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2010, 06:33 »

Oh, btw: you can provably successfully bug report obvious inconsistencies in PF (such as the Achura timeline).

Ginger said to bug report things regarding planets too, such as Matar pretty much having no land.

Tried bug reporting the fact Mannar doesn't exist, brought it up on the forum. They said they'd implement it next Tyrannis patch. Never was...

Nobody cares about Mannar :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4