Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that wooden furniture is very expensive in space? (p. 89)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?  (Read 5291 times)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?
« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2010, 16:58 »

One of the benefits of living in a free society is that, no, it isn't.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?
« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2010, 17:24 »

Disturbed? Very rarely, at least in the last decade. I occasionally encounter something that makes me wince, but that's more for "oh, no, you're going to regret that later" reasons (as in, someone's doing something WAY over the top).

What live-action Vampire: the Masquerade (yes, I was one of those) didn't inoculate me against, the freaking Giovanni Chronicles certainly did (especially the fourth. Anyone who thinks the nastier sorts of White Wolf vampire are twisted should try playing an eager-to-please ghoul).

And yet, people do still find ways to surprise me once in a while. Situations where someone's aim is to humiliate and degrade tend to produce stuff like that most often. It's not something that's happened in Eve that I can remember, though. I'll spare you the details.

Actually, the fact that I come up with such things myself from time to time is one of the reasons I hold the IC/OOC divide so dear and insist so strongly that, while my character is someone I can imagine, she is also someone I emphatically am not.

I can imagine an ancient, reptilian vampire whose favored pastime is abducting people and using fleshcrafting powers to disassemble them, still living, into a chest full of wax-bottomed dissection trays. I can imagine him mounting the face up on the underside of the lid, so that the victim can look down any time the chest is open and see his or her organs all spread out. I can imagine his obsession with observing every tick and twitch of the victim's facial expressions as he experiments to see how long he can keep his subjects alive in this state.

One at a time, mind you, the better to dedicate himself fully to each. He's spent centuries working on his technique.

I can imagine that, but I hope you can understand if I want a very nice clear line between me and Prospero (the vampire in question). Back when my wife and I were first dating, a friend of hers tried to get her ex-boyfriend to come back from Japan and "rescue" her from me because said friend couldn't distinguish between me and my characters. That friend thought I really was as twisted as the characters I play.

Best to keep that sort of incident to a minimum.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 19:36 by Aria Jenneth »
Pages: 1 2 [3]