Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Your clones have your DNA, but not until you've been in them a while? For more information see the Cloning Scientific Article

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?  (Read 5292 times)

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?
« Reply #15 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:16 »

Yes... I do get OoC disturbed by some things. Willing slavery is one of them, as it's hitting far too close to the ultimate taboo in D/s. Breaking someone mentally until the point they believe this is right. This is how it should be. Sure, they might enjoy it, but it's a sin tantamount to murder as far as I'm concerned... because a human mind being destroyed to the point of enjoying being just property and having no freedom... that's murdering a mind. And that's all that we humans are, as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, it disturbs me. It hits too close to home. Rape RP does the same.

Gran here pretty much hit the nail on the head... why should this be 'oh it's just RP and just fine' in Eve, but unthinkable in real life? Somewhere there's a disconnect that needs to be mended.

Grr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:32 »

RP for sake of RP disturbs and annoys me.  Too many times I've had my happy killed by somebody asking "can I RP with you?"

Slavery obviously to those who know me does not bother me at all on either OOC/IC levels (those who are married will agree with me that there is a place for slavery in this world) However some people think they can use roleplay to justify anything and everything about how they play regardless of implications. 

"It's just a game" or "It's all in character bud" has been used too many times to justify shitty things done and when so many of us pour so much of our time and effort into eve, this is clearly not just a game.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #17 on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:42 »

(those who are married will agree with me that there is a place for slavery in this world)

No, we won't.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #18 on: 29 Sep 2010, 07:25 »

(those who are married will agree with me that there is a place for slavery in this world)
No, we won't.
Hurr durr no sense of humor.
You are walking along in a public park, in real life, and come across two children, 16 year olds, playing a game of "pretend" where they are acting out killing eachother, or engaging in fettish sex and/or snuff, or talking about killing people and drinking thier blood, or enslaving and torturing people.

How do you react?
Summon nuns, tell them about this, see what happens. Probably mind my own business unless I actually think they're plotting murder, which is, you know, problematic to the point that it might damage their prospects down the road and is therefore scaring them away from. Consider giving them tips on how to fetish sex (which is spelled with only a single 't') without damaging partner and telling them that blood tastes like crap, and that they should upgrade from twilight to oWoD.

Sixteen year olds often have active and safe enough sex lives. They'd be in some danger of breaking the law what with their exhibitionism, but that could be the fetish in question in this vague situation.
Now, you get home and log into Eve and enter a public channel, and see the same situation.

how do you react now?
If has modrights, ban everyone. Then leave.
If no modrights, file EULA complaints, sit back and wait for the fireworks to start.

People disturbing other people? In MY EVE Online?

Inexcusable.

Hey, let's smacktalk. Is me calling your mother a whore a hundred times in a row better or worse than me cybering in public?

You live in the West. It's an open society, most places have free speech. Get used to the fact that sometimes you're going to feel offended, insulted, degraded, et cetera just by listening to members of government, let alone your fellow citizens. It's on the internet we can let our inner lawyer censorship nazi out.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 07:27 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Boma Airaken

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 29 Sep 2010, 17:53 »

The fact that anyone has an inner lawyer censorship nazi, in any medium, scares the fucking shit out of me.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:48 »

The fact that anyone has an inner lawyer censorship nazi, in any medium, scares the fucking shit out of me.

What?

Myyona

• Spilling beans
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:58 »

The Gallente epic arc with its story of child labor and prostitution and the inhuman ways these children are treated within the Federation has actually made me reluctant to do the arc as I OOC find abuse of children one of the greatest sins ever.

The Gallente got nothing on the Amarr.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 01:00 by Myyona »
EVE Online Lorebook at eve-inspiracy.com

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:08 »

I find some IC treatment of stalking and rape themes too disturbing OOC to engage with the storyline IC.

This, pretty much.

This.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:01 »

Inner censorship nazi lawyer is probably better.

Look, it's that urge to say 'No, that shit isn't right! It's not fit for human consumption! Think of the children.' that such phrasing applies to. I don't go for it like I don't help elect conservatives in the US.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:25 »

Having an inner censor doesn't make you a Nazi. It makes you an adult.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:30 »

Which I why I am not yet and adult. :P
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:52 »

You don't understand the phrasing. The key noun is 'nazi,' 'censorship' is not the same as 'censor,' and now I want to see your voting record.

The defining characteristic of adulthood isn't the capacity to display appropriate degrees of formality or a lack of subversiveness in public, or showing a face of inoffensiveness of one's interactions with the world at large. That's being good at the kind of social interaction that greases one's way towards societal optimization, or 'presentableness' to an employer, an adoption agency, a seller of real estate, or a voting demographic. Very different from being an adult.

In fact, I think it's accurate to say that people who lack the kind of internal censor you're describing usually have inhibited mental functioning in areas relating to social interaction. Which isn't to say they can't come to adulthood.

'But that's different! That's physiological!' Yeah? You're getting the same stimulus. You're choosing to contextualize it differently, though, because of some circumstantial shit. Which we could talk about, in another thread, for pages and pages. But that would be off topic, as has been the whole discussion since Graanvlokkie inaugurated it.

Mind you, this isn't a split request. I think it's germane here. I think there are enough thread-splits on the forum as it is.

And, again, you are too easily offended if you think this way. But the trouble seems to be that I don't think you do, and yet you CLAIM to espouse these standards.

The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 13:16 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

scagga

• Everything for Vaari
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2010, 14:26 »

Grr! :heart:

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2010, 15:46 »

I think you're overthinking this, Ashar. :) My point is that, as humans mature, we (theoretically) reach a point where occasionally we have the thought, "hmm, maybe I shouldn't say out loud what I'm thinking." That might only be momentary, such as due to the social context, but we do it.

And frankly, not that it's any of your business, but I choose not to vote.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2010, 16:50 »

It's my business that you choose to vote, if I say it is. And I usually do, 'cause I volunteer.

A filter is not a censor; one of those words applies to 'what's bad for society.' It matters what you call things, and it matters how things are defined.
Pages: 1 [2] 3