Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Serpentis Corporation was initially a Gallentean research firm that evolved into a drug cartel? Read more here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?  (Read 5293 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?
« on: 28 Sep 2010, 15:48 »

So, I was struck by Ulphus' reply to a post in the "Why is IC prostitution bad?" thread.

Everybody is fine with me being a slaver, but if I start to haunt channels while constantly torturing, whipping and beating up slaves in gory explicit scenes, then yeah, I will certainly expect me from being asked to leave many channels.

TBH, The slavers were one of the reasons I stopped going to the Last Gate.

And the whips bother me less than the compliant slaves that think that it's right that they be a slave. Especially when the slave owner tries to tell me that there's nothing wrong with it, cos their slave is happy.

The psychological chains disturb me OOC, and I'm not allowed to shoot them in the face IC. So I avoid them.

This got me thinking: Has anyone else here ever encountered something in character that truly disturbed you OOC? I'm not just saying "er, I have an OOC issue with your RP breaking PF/forcing my hand ICly/etc", I'm saying you just had to leave the situation ICly out of disgust (possibly because you couldn't break some faces ICly)?

I'll start - I personally, find genocide to be horrifying. I am well aware of the fact that Esna has the blood of millions, if not tens of millions of dead crews' lives on his hands; however, when someone suggests the "We should kill everyone who isn't us" route, I simply have to leave/not enter the discussion, because nothing productive would come of it (Esna, and by proxy myself, really doesn't have much to say to that sort of thing).

A note here: I am extremely aware of the possibility this discussion has to devolve into "X did Y, and that was horrifying." Please, for the love of Chribba, keep it to "I can't be involved in RP where people are doing Z, because it's to much for me" and if you absolutely have to provide examples, make it as abstract as posssible (i.e., "I found myself in a bar where people were discussing killing all of the ___ and I had to walk out.").
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: Ever been OOC disturbed by something IC?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2010, 16:13 »

As I referenced in the thread from which you've spun this off (and thank you for doing so), I can't deal with slavery RP in any sort of detail. It's one thing to shout "death to the slavers!" and maybe transport some freedmen / refugees. It's quite another to RP anything related to it on a personal level. As it personally offends me on a deeply emotional level, I just avoid it in all its forms.

In EVE, I've been able to avoid it completely. In SWG, I had to leave scenes with good OOC friends because I could not deal with the IC implications. It just wouldn't have worked for my character to go all "white knight" on someone, and I didn't want to disrupt things. (That last is a common issue in Star Wars RP for thematic reasons, one which would deserve its own thread here as well, rather than derail this one.)

Vikarion

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2010, 20:07 »

Honestly? No. Nothing I have ever seen in Eve RP, or any other RP, has ever disturbed me.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2010, 20:25 »

EVE PF contains prostitution, blood drinking, murder, genocide, terror bombings, cannibalism, torture, drugs, involuntary psychosurgery, mining, forced labor, human sacrifice and all manner of atrocity.

Not really much left that we as players can do that goes any farther over the line.

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2010, 20:54 »

I'm pretty fine with whatever.  If it starts to really bug me (or if it gets really boring) I'll IzzyTroll till the topic changes.

Ashar Kor-Azor

• Banned
  • Pod Captain
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2010, 21:01 »

Usually I get irritated by really stupid shit, like the more failure-prone internet spaceship vampire types, and I'll either rage so hard I earn a new piece of hatemail or block or I'll just go away because fuck, that's stupid.

ALSO if you think ships don't have crews and don't roll with the evidence after a couple of us give you informative links. And one time someone pretended to be from the Order in Theodicy and I just about blew a gasket.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 00:54 by Ashar Kor-Azor »

Kaldor Mintat

• Egger
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2010, 21:16 »

EVE PF contains prostitution, blood drinking, murder, genocide, terror bombings, cannibalism, torture, drugs, involuntary psychosurgery, mining, forced labor, human sacrifice and all manner of atrocity.

Not really much left that we as players can do that goes any farther over the line.

:eek: Ok....i can find mining boring/souldestroying but being included among all those other things  :o

Personally i have so far not seen much that have made disturbed me OOC. Been a few occasions where people have totally ignored clearcut PF in major ways and such annoys me. Perhaps if i was deeper into Eve rp it would disturb me more but truth is that so far its been mostly contained to rp bar rp.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2010, 21:35 »

Maybe I'm just a delicate flower, but I've been OOC disturbed by IC conversations with a nearly nine-year-old to the point of having to leave.

Ok, so it appeared to be an almost sociopathic nearly-nine-year-old contemplating killing everyone in the cluster that she couldn't have fitted with TCMCs, but still...

Edit: don't get me wrong, it was very good, intense RP, with intense emotions, but they weren't very nice emotions.
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2010, 21:37 by Ulphus »
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Ciarente

• Owner of the thickest rose-colored glasses in the Cluster
  • The Mods
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2010, 21:39 »

I find some IC treatment of stalking and rape themes too disturbing OOC to engage with the storyline IC.  While I don't find them incongruous with the grimdark of Eve, and I understand that people want to play out a story and then move on, I can't cope with storylines that treat them as falling somewhere on the scale between a hangnail and a minor car-crash.
Silver Night > I feel like we should keep Cia in reserve. A little bit for Cia's sanity, but mostly because her putting on her mod hat is like calling in Rommel to deal with a paintball game.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:12 »

ERP that involves this weird "killing fetish". The fuck.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2010, 23:18 »

:eek: Ok....i can find mining boring/souldestroying but being included among all those other things  :o

Mining is the source of all evil

Valdezi

• Pod Captain
    • Stories by me
« Reply #11 on: 29 Sep 2010, 00:04 »

Just that the stupidity of the rest of the world is mirrored in EVE, if to a slightly lesser extent.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2010, 00:05 »

Just that the stupidity of the rest of the world is mirrored in EVE, if to a slightly lesser extent.

This.

Vincent Pryce

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:22 »

I find some IC treatment of stalking and rape themes too disturbing OOC to engage with the storyline IC.

This, pretty much.

Graanvlokkie

« Reply #14 on: 29 Sep 2010, 04:48 »

Random thought ...

You are walking along in a public park, in real life, and come across two children, 16 year olds, playing a game of "pretend" where they are acting out killing eachother, or engaging in fettish sex and/or snuff, or talking about killing people and drinking thier blood, or enslaving and torturing people.

How do you react?

Now, you get home and log into Eve and enter a public channel, and see the same situation.

how do you react now?
Pages: [1] 2 3