Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That CCP financed the initial development of EVE Online by publishing a board game called Hættuspil ("Danger Game")?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Matari/Anti-slavery hardliners  (Read 10890 times)

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
Re: Matari/Anti-slavery hardliners
« Reply #45 on: 14 Sep 2010, 16:53 »

Well, I feel reassured at least. Thread had this tone that the Minnie bloc were basically gone to all intents and purposes and I was prepping for sadness. :P
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #46 on: 14 Sep 2010, 17:37 »

And lets not get all crazy and say EM isnt anti-slaver.  EM is a lot of things to a lot of people.  There is a constant struggle within the alliance as to whether its pro-Republic or pro-Matari, and what those two things even mean.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #47 on: 14 Sep 2010, 18:54 »

And lets not get all crazy and say EM isnt anti-slaver. 

Umm, who said we weren't?

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #48 on: 14 Sep 2010, 20:47 »

It's one of the things I'm more sad about is that EM never appears in any of the public RP areas... pretty much kills the chances of cooperative RP with them.  :(

As for the anti-slavery hardliner questions...

It's my opinion that the kind of RP described in the OP is limited in its wide appeal simply because of the scale of RP that it locks you out of.

Amarrians of any sort? Even if they don't support slavery, if they support even some parts of the Empire, you can't RP with them.

Calldari loyalists? Allies of the Empire, can't RP with them.

Republic loyalists? If they talk to anyone in the Empire in the hopes of peace (and many do) they're slaver allies. Can't RP with them.

Gallente loyalists? Same as above.

Angels/Sanshas/Blooders? All hold slaves. Serpentis work with the Angels, so they support slavery too.

Guristas are about the only group you CAN talk to, and many of them are willing to talk to slavers... which puts them out of the question as well.

What I'm saying here is that if what you want is someone who never, ever talks to anyone who supports slavery in a remotely friendly manner... it's really, really hard to find allies, simply because there are so few groups left you can talk to and nobody wants to be locked out of so muc hRP like that. EVE is, as someone said, a fundamentally social game.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #49 on: 14 Sep 2010, 21:03 »

Well, I think you can RP with them, it's just going to be as enemies.

Of course, in some RP, a good enemy is worth a half dozen mediocre friends in my experience. RP is ultimately story driven, at least to some extent - and stories thrive on conflict.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 14 Sep 2010, 21:12 »

It's one of the things I'm more sad about is that EM never appears in any of the public RP areas... pretty much kills the chances of cooperative RP with them.  :(

It's rare, but not unheard of; but then, how much do you expect the social circles of Amarrian slave holders and republic loyalists to overlap in a believable universe?

And what sort of Co-op RP did you have in mind?
Long pause

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #51 on: 14 Sep 2010, 22:13 »

It's rare, but not unheard of; but then, how much do you expect the social circles of Amarrian slave holders and republic loyalists to overlap in a believable universe?

A few of your members used to come to The Last Gate at times, and I was always surprised the PVBOS Interstellar Grill (Now called "The Broken Piano") didn't become more popular witht EM. Esna became friends with a couple of them.

And what sort of Co-op RP did you have in mind?

Without derailing the thread, I'll say that Esna has a vested interest in returning freed slaves to the Republic under two circumstances - one, if they are slaves who he truly can't make comfortable in his service, and two, if they were captured illegally (playing up this end since he got into FW, with the warzone providing a sweet area for illegal slaving rings to work in). Problem so far has been finding people to hand them to.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #52 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:53 »

A few of your members used to come to The Last Gate at times, and

Yeah, and then we set VETO red. It felt like it wouldn't be appropriate any more, at least to me.

I was always surprised the PVBOS Interstellar Grill (Now called "The Broken Piano") didn't become more popular witht EM. Esna became friends with a couple of them.

Have you been to M-MD3B. It's a shithole... fifteen jumps from my usual pub, and last time I went down there the station was camped... lot of trouble for a beer.

Without derailing the thread, I'll say that Esna has a vested interest in returning freed slaves to the Republic under two circumstances - one, if they are slaves who he truly can't make comfortable in his service, and two, if they were captured illegally (playing up this end since he got into FW, with the warzone providing a sweet area for illegal slaving rings to work in). Problem so far has been finding people to hand them to.

I'd try talking to someone in EM (IC). I don't think it's a secret that they've been involved in getting slaves out of the Empire in the past. It's not widely announced, y'know? There are other people out there too, but I don't want to blow their cover if they don't want me to.
Long pause

Aodha Khan

« Reply #53 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:42 »

Amarrians of any sort? Even if they don't support slavery, if they support even some parts of the Empire, you can't RP with them.

Of course you can RP with them by hindering their operations, declaring war, hiring mercs on them, posting proganda against them or infiltrating them with spies.

RP is not only using your chat windows.

DeT Resprox

• Egger
  • Leader of Ushra'Khan and founding member.
    • evepandora
« Reply #54 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:34 »

T.R.I.A.D offer rewards and Loyalty Points for slave liberations - please see http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1384464.  That is an old thread which i had to re-create due to CCP locking it :(

DeT Resprox
Leader of the Ushra'Khan and founding member
T.R.I.A.D CEO
Minmatar Militia Fleet Commander
Founding member of the People's Republic of Minmatar

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #55 on: 15 Sep 2010, 09:00 »

I was always surprised the PVBOS Interstellar Grill (Now called "The Broken Piano") didn't become more popular witht EM. Esna became friends with a couple of them.

Have you been to M-MD3B. It's a shithole... fifteen jumps from my usual pub, and last time I went down there the station was camped... lot of trouble for a beer.

Actually, yes. Repeatedly. Lived in GW for a bit; long story. However, I forget a lot that EM actually goes to the systems the RP bars are in (Esna tends to go their while I'm on the 15-jump trip to whatever system my mission objective is in, or while I'm sitting in Huola setting my planets, etc).

With regards to Silver Nights and Aodha Khan's responses to my statements, I should have probably added a modifier for clarity to those descriptions: My post was with reference to the probabilities of positive/alliied/cooperative RP(ers), as it seemed that's what the OP was looking for. Confrontational/cnflict RP is a whole different thing.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #56 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:34 »

I think there could be some more slavery/anti-slavery things done.

But i'm not sure if teh game mechanics are sufficient to allow it.

One of the things that appears in PF is the Illegal Slaver. That is, someone who takes slaves from outside the Empire. One of the Emperors outlawed that sort of thing.
There needs to be some people doing that sort of thing. Taking people from the Republic, or the Federation, and selling them as slaves.
Game mechanics might be tricky though, how would it work? purchase the things like dancers, tourists etc off the market?
And who is buying them? RP'ing that means the people doing it would be spending a fair sum, without necessarily being able to make anything back. Spending isk just to RP is a bit awkward, isn't it?

And then, with the Illegal Slaver, there is then the awkward RP to be had with the Imperial Paramilitary.
That is, pro-Empire Amarrians who are looking for Illegal Slavers, obviously, in non-Empire space. Upholding the Empire's Law as it were. And some of them might own slaves themselves. Legal ones, naturally.
Do the anti-slavers co-operate with the Imperials to hunt the Illegal Slavers? Is it a trap? Who is setting who up for what?

:o
\o/

Merdaneth

• Pod Captain
« Reply #57 on: 16 Sep 2010, 17:48 »

The mechanics are very troublesome indeed. I have no doubt I could be shipping slaves out of the Republic for months before anyone would even noticing. And honestly, shipping slaves out of Republic space for no actual profit and without anything noticing is a very boring way to spend your gameplay.

The actual 'capture' of slaves is a large invisible and uninterruptable affair. The moving of slaves might be noticed. However, the last time I actually had someone scan me looking for slaves was over 3 years ago.

This means that anyone playing an illegal slaver should actually leak this info to those RP-ers that might oppose him in advance to get any kind of interactive playing going. Even then there need to be war-decs issued to prevent trouble with Concord for interceptions in high-sec.

EVE mechanics are largely geared to shooting each other, and not doing things with slaves. For most RP arcs I think up, the hardest part is always to find an active role and enjoyable role for other players to play.

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #58 on: 16 Sep 2010, 19:52 »

Does anyone have any suggestions for breaking out of that feedback loop? Or is it not something that bites most people?

It does bite me, at least.

Gradient was (is) my first corp. While EM is awesome, as a result I have less RP contacts outside EM than I perhaps would like, and not too much knowledge of possible places to get them. My character (a free Matari woman from a respectable clan) has little reason to want to frequent pirate and Amarr bars. :P

If there was a general Matari hangout place she would likely visit, and possibly become a repeat customer depending on if she found the atmosphere of the place to be to her taste. As I don't own any of the EM bar channels, I don't feel like I can volunteer them (at least without asking the players who do).

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #59 on: 16 Sep 2010, 20:05 »

I'd really love to get more tools for the RP sandbox, for us to build our stories with.

The news items and other stuff we already get are great, mind you. I'd just love to get more in-game tools to make the world alive so we'd have more ability to make our own stories in addition to participating in stories CCP comes up with.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5