Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Frentix is a very powerful painkiller?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about ship boarding...  (Read 2930 times)

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
Re: Question about ship boarding...
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2012, 18:27 »

I think it's pretty clear that any kind of boarding operation would entail scrambling, webbing, neuting the ship out, possibly deliberately damaging navigational and thruster systems (depending on how intact of a state you care to recover the ship in) before you board it.

The real question in my opinion is how would shields and/or hardened armor surfaces interact with a boarding pod? Surely shields would have to be battered down first so that the boarding pod can actually make contact with the hull of the ship, but what would happen if shield integrity was momentarily re-stablished mid-boarding? Also, what about hardened armor surfaces - the boarding vessels would have to carry some fairly significant cutting equipment, on scale with much higher-power, weapons-grade systems, otherwise cutting through the armor could take hours.
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Repentence Tyrathlion

• Omelette
  • RIP?
« Reply #16 on: 01 Apr 2012, 04:20 »

Not strictly on topic, but not unrelated: I'm suddenly led to wonder about the mechanics of hijack-by-pod.  The concept of forcing a pilot to eject by whatever threatening means, and then plugging into it, will be familiar to any pirate here.  But what about the crew?  Sure a capsuleer replaces the command crew and helps to automate large amounts of the ship, but...

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 Apr 2012, 05:06 »

Not strictly on topic, but not unrelated: I'm suddenly led to wonder about the mechanics of hijack-by-pod.  The concept of forcing a pilot to eject by whatever threatening means, and then plugging into it, will be familiar to any pirate here.  But what about the crew?  Sure a capsuleer replaces the command crew and helps to automate large amounts of the ship, but...

There are clearly measures preventing the crew from interfering with the capsuleer's control of the ship. If the wasn't the case then Ishukone HQ wouldn't be in such a mess.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.
Pages: 1 [2]